3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kalamazoo Expo what did you shoot?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kalamazoo Expo what did you shoot?
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve Clandinin:
I would absolutely love to go to this Expo ,hopefully next year.I thank you people for posting about the show.PS DON"T post anything on a MOAB poor MUDD won't sleep for three weeks!LOL.
Do Not... I repeat... Do Not listen to this man! He doesn't have my best interests in mind... He's also a known "water boarder"....lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
Wish, I could have made it this year as well. My buddy "Fletcher" on here has his booth set-up "The Feathered Shaft" and I called him last night to see how business was. He said tomorrow will be overwhelming as the temp is cold but no snow and that will bring in a swarm of people. Which is a good thing. Flint

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Cool I am glad to the see the PCH Curley Narra picture! I have a 54" PCH Curley Narra no phenolic on order right now and not have seen a BW with that wood yet. I would like to hear from shooters of the new short riser ACS I like the looks of that bow alot.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
I believe Jim-Thunderstick only does Comptons. I don't recall seeing him last night.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
If Thunderstick Archery is there would someone please shoot a MOAB for me and report?
Thanks!
God bless,Mudd
Jim is kind of retired and slowing down building bows.  He was not there last year or this year.  I did just shoot a MOAB of you in the back yard about 10 minutes ago if that helps.  :D
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steel:
Cool I am glad to the see the PCH Curley Narra picture! I have a 54" PCH Curley Narra no phenolic on order right now and not have seen a BW with that wood yet. I would like to hear from shooters of the new short riser ACS I like the looks of that bow alot.
I like the short ASC a lot.  I like short riser bows so I can get some mass and longer limbs without the longer bow.  The short riser was only like 40# or something.  It has the RC grip.  I like that grip a lot.  It was my understanding that limbs are special for the short bow/riser combo.  It is not just a short riser with the same limbs.  There is more to come on this bow.  Also maybe a shorter one?  All with limbs optimized to have the performance of the longer limb ACS in smaller packages.

I think you will be very happy with you new BW.  I shot the PCH even more today.  I just fell in love with that bow. It was stacking arrows every time I tried it.  The short bows are great, but the 60" PCH with my 29" draw was just so smooth and powerful.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
xtrema312,thanks for your review,so we poor guys from far away can dream.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Here is another one for the curley Narra fan. Not a great pic.

Here are a couple shrew bows.  The first is a SS 58".  The second is a 56" CH.  I shot the CH more today.  I just love it, but not on my current Michigan economic budget.  

I have a few more pic's to fill in.  I used my phone camera so I was limited to what I could get.  I also left my cord at work so I can only e-mail one at time to myself.  Slow going.

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
I'm back from Kzoo,saw lots of friends
shot a bunch of bow. The Zippers were great
so are the Shrews. I did but a BW PCH.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
I shot a Tall Tines recurve and loved it. The grip fit my hand the best, great shooting bow and Brian is one nice guy to talk to. Also shot a BW recurve and Longbow and I am a longbow guy but I liked the curve better. I liked the asbel grip but the Tall Tines grip was better for me, my buddy also liked the Tall Tines better.
Great show.
I also picked up a quiver from Kanati. Great quiver.
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Oh come on now guys, more pics, Someone has to take a pic of the Mini 14, puh lease.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
I got to the expo about 8:45.  It was 0 deg. when I left the house.  5 on the highway and 3 at the fair grounds.  I don't know how accurate the truck temp reading was, but I would say it was cold.  There was a good group ready to go.  They didn't open the doors one minute early.  I got in right off because I had been there the day before and had the weekend stamp.  I was able to get around well for the first hour.  Then it packed up and stayed that way the rest of the morning.  Shooting bows was not all that bad until about noon.  Then the lines got a little longer.  Not all that bad though for how may people were there.

As requested I got to the Tall Tines booth.  I don't normally go of the larger riser bows particularly recurves.  However, these are very nice bows.  The grip is very different from bows I have shot in the past.  It has a wide radius palm swell, a nice throat and a dished area your bottom three fingers wrap into.  I thought maybe it wouldn't quite work all that well with my hand.  I was wrong about that.  It is very solid and repeatable.  Unlike the PCH were I could tuck in my bottom finger into the riser if I wanted to when shooting, the TT's wide large radius palm let my hand just sort of comfortably cup the grip in a real relaxed fashion.  The bow shot very smooth so I had no tendency to grab the grip.  I could let my hand just naturally relax into the grip.  The best way I can describe it is if you were to reach out your arm and just let you hand hang there relaxed letting your palm cup and fingers curl naturally you would be on the grip with full contact;  at least for me I would.  I like the small riser TD bows so I tried the one small riser bow he had, which was 60" and I think 50#.  It shot fast and hit hard like the BW PCH.  I was real curious to try one in a 62", but there was not one in my weight range.  Very nice bow!  The closest thing I handled at the show to the TT grip was probably the Sky Hawk wood TD riser.  It has a somewhat similar feel to the palm and throat.

Speaking of Sky archery. I shot the 17" and 15" riser bows with curve limbs.  The 17 was a real shooter, but with no silencers it was a lot louder than the other bows I was shooting.  It was very accurate, but too large and heavy of a riser for me.  Too much of a target feel for me.  The 15 felt much better in my hand.  More compact and not so much weight.  However, it just got set-up to shoot off the shelf ,and the plunger was about 1/8" past center.  My arrows were coming out with a hard weak tail,  and I was shooting 1' right at 8 yd. so I don't shoot more than a couple arrows.  I thought I would really be interested in shooting more of the metal ILF bows, but they just didn't do it for me.  I guess I am more of a Morrison type ILF riser fan.

A couple more go arounds with the shrew CH and PCH.  Those two were very consistent shooters for me.  I also shot a selection of other bows I had not tried Friday.  I shot Arwin's St Joe River bow of last deer season.  To short for me, but it was a hard hitting bow.  I couldn't resist shooting the 54" recurve today.  At 58@28 it was heavy for met at 29 1/4", but so easy to shoot for that length and weight.  That will be a nice bow for the short recurve fans.  A 56" could be in the future.  I would like to try that one.

I had to take a break to come home to get the kids so the wife could get out for the afternoon.  Sunny and 20 deg. when I came back out.  Felt like spring compared to the morning.  I think I will pack up the kids and head back.

Offline stickytoes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
hi all i got shoot lots of bows which is a treat for me cause i am cursed with an uncontrolable case of left handedness..... widows shot great ...tall tines are like butter and beutiful...but the kohannah curve spoke to me in such a way that i now own it .... what a show

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by LongStick64:
Oh come on now guys, more pics, Someone has to take a pic of the Mini 14, puh lease.
I will give it a try when I go back.  Are you talking the Morrison?  There are some on the web site.

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Thanks for the report Todd. I see a Tall Tines in my future!

Offline Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
I finally shot a Great Northern. The Fireball is awsome! So dead in the hand and quiet. I shot the Kohannah fury and I am having a hard time deciding between it and the GN.I will be ordering a new longbow this summer and have narrowed it down to these two or a Robertson, wish they would have came up this year so I could have tried the new Primal Styk.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Shot a few morissons and boy do they smoke an arrow.  It's also a bonus to talk with Bob, one of the nicest guys out there.  I also had the pleasure of shooting one of the Tall Tines, after I wiggled my way in there, and those grips are awesome.  Brian was very nice and had some beautiful pieces of wood.  Can't wait to get a bow from him.   :bigsmyl:  It was also a great pleasure meeting some of the fellow tradgangers from here and the plethora of other wonderful traditionalist.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
Man, wish I was there!!

Is there anyone that could possible stop by and see Scott Mitchell of Timberhawk bows??  I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts about his Take-Down recurve. Wondering about the grip and overall shooting characteristics.

Thanking you in advance!!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Ravenclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Timber hawks are a solid shooter. I liked the new 54" one piece. Deadly accurate little bow. Basic bow was $379.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
Buckster, I shot one of Scott's bows (a recurve) at Cloverdale a couple of years ago but none more recently.  Very smooth drawing bow and pleasant on the realease.  The grip was very comfortable but they were just a bit heavy in the riser for me, lots of wood like many recurves--I like smaller risers and that comes from my love of longbows.  But they are fine shooters.  By the way, I'm really enjoying that Tomahawk I got from you....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©