3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kalamazoo Expo what did you shoot?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline wissler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kalamazoo Expo what did you shoot?
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
I went yesterday, and came back home this afternoon.

My favorite bows were some 3pc recurves:
TIMBERHAWK
TALL TINES
FOX High Sierra

Cool time, but there seems to be less and less bowyers for the last few years now......

Offline kanmatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Awesome.  Wish I lived a little closer.  Can't wait to get my Tall Tines in a couple months!!

Online CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
Steve from Northern Mist is a great guy to deal with, and his longbows are pretty awesome too! The Baraga was my first longbow I had ever purchased, and then I had to get the Witbeck just because. You can't go wrong with one of Steve's bows.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2010, 02:11:00 AM »
I shot a Great Northern Ghost 60 incher with the green glass and what looked like green camo diamondwood riser or actionwood.It was a unique looking bow.I have had 2 of those in the past and the newer ones are a little trimmer in the grip these days.So sleek and yet solid.Also shot the bushbow that was 62 inches and it was very quiet with no string silencers.That was impressive.Smooth drawing and shooting with the wide flatbow limb.

1st chance to try the 56 inch classic hunter.It was a 2 piece and had a phenolic riser with greenish stained limbs.Surprisingly smooth for my longer draw.Very smooth drawing bow in that length.I was impressed with that.Superb short hunting bow.If I ever needed a short longbow I would think hard about one of these.

Shot 3 of Roy Halls longbows.I had a couple Caddos that were nice longbows and had not had a chance to shoot his newer versions as I dont go to Cloverdale much these days.Anyway they were the Apache,Cherokee and Aztec.Really pleasant shooting bows with nice manners and quiet.One had a 2 piece design with micarta handle and bowbolt.It was very solid no doubt.The grips are to my liking

Had to try a widow and shot a one piece TF.The only one I could find in my specs with a lower grip.I wanted to try the PA but thier so similar other than riser aesthetics and they did not have one with a low grip.Very solid shooter.Somehow missed out on shooting the new one with the short riser.Would like to have tried that in a 60 incher.

Shot the A&H with the RC riser.Never tried that one.It was much slimmer in person than what I thought I saw in the pics.It was really attractive in  its design and shot very well.Just a cool bow with its own signature look!

Had to try out a Morrison one piece.I have had quite a few TD shawnees and cheyennes as well as one Dakota and couger one piece.Been awhile since I had the one piece and wanted to try one with the newer carbon and foam limbs.It was 59 inches and 62 #s at 28.I draw about 30 and managed to horse it back a few times and it shot great and very quiet.I liked it.Would like to test one a few pounds lighter and longer sometime.

Of course I had to shoot a Tall Tines because I ordered one back in early Nov. and Brian had it at the show.Eat your heart out LOL.

It has a coco bolo diamondwood riser and black phenolic accent stripes with black walnut center stripe and rosewood overlays.The basic riser.Built like a tank,has a muscular look to it.The grip is sculpted out very comfortably.I like the arrow shelf as well.Its got a stoic quality I would say and is built to last and last.

The limbs are rosewood with real coco bolo fadeouts and strong limb butt overlays and tough tips.Limb bases come with cork padding and he even put a little piece of cork in the bottom of the hole where the guide pin goes into.Pretty thorough I would say.Finish looks very nice in satin.

This ones 60 inches and has the 16 inch riser and the limbs make it a 60inch bow.Its marked 46#s at 28.I probably pull about 52 #s on it.Anyway it drew very smooth with not so much as a hiccup.Shot smoothly and quietly and the arrows thumped in thier with authority.Brian is gonna take down the circumfirance of the grip a hair and lower it a bit more so its gonna fit me like a glove.Thats one of the advatages of going to the show I suppose.He had alot of other very gorgous creations on the table to admire.

So many great bowyers and fantastic bows.Its a great time to be a traditional archer and hunter.Wish I could have shot a few more.

Offline Straight Shootin'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
Yes, like a kid in a candy store.  I was there Saturday and was simply amazed...So many great bows and people...resisted the urge as long as I could but after meeting with Steve of Northern Mist and shooting several of his bows I could not resist anymore...had to have one.  Ordered a Baraga that should be ready by Comptons.  Sweet shooting, quiet, no hand shock and just fun to shoot...Lot of great people and bows.  Other bows that shot well for me. were the Timberhawks and the Dwyer Endeavor. Looking forward to next year already...
USN(RET) 1977-99
SOM 2001-2019

52" Fedora Stalker
Bear K-Mag x2
Predator Velocity 60"

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." -- Fred Bear

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Man, sounds like a blast.  Always said I was going to  go to this sometime.  It's just a little too far away.  Thanks for sharing all the info on all the bows you guys shot.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
This is a terrific thread!! Even though I wasn't able to attend, I can enjoy the show vicariously!  Please keep it coming.

Note to ADAM - you calling the kettle black??? : )
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline hunterken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
I shot the Roy Hall Apache and ordered one. Very smooth. I was extremely disappointed with the workmanship of the Shrew bows. The finish was splotchy. I have a 26" draw length and the 56" classic hunter stacked like crazy. So, I don't get it with the Shrews and the fanaticism they seem to enjoy. The McCullough Griffin workmanship and wood choices are WAY far better than a shrew IMHO. I had ordered a Shrew based on the similarity to the Griffin, and now I'm glad I backed out. Sorry guys, but the wood choices, finish and workmanship are second rate.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
hunterken,  I also looked at the shrews and the fit and finish was flawless.  Gregg's work is top notch.  I also shot the 54" CH and at my 29" draw it was very smooth and started to stack the last inch or so.  I also like Roy Hall's bows and will have one of them in the future.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline machomanandysavage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
I decided it was best if I didn't shoot any while I was there (I'm too weak to resist any wallet related temptations that would have resulted), but I got a chance to talk to the bowyers at nearly every booth.

This was my first time at the expo, and every single one was offering up bows left and right for me to shoot. I was really impressed on how friendly everyone was, and how they took time to answer every question from why they used one lamination over another to finishes to limb design and more, plus just swappin' stories.  

It was very informative and a lot of fun, and if a guy was interested buying a new bow this would be THE PLACE to do it.
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
Hard to beat David Miller's bows.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Hey Barry ,,, Im "COLOR" Blind !!!

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
I wasn't able to attend this year either.  Thanks for the reports form those that went.  It's probably best that I didn't go.  I'll have to save a few "bucks" for next year!  Last year we went my son had about an hour of one on one time with a gentlemen who was with a knapping club.  What a generous man, my son came away with an arrowhead and a desire to learn how to do it for himself.  Thanks!  See you next year!

-Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
A 56" shrew CH stacking at 26"?     :biglaugh:    Maybe a 54" over 29". but I don't really know.  I drew the 56" to 29 1/4" as my standard draw.  With a 48@28 I could pull it to 30", and there was no stack I could feel.  It was smooth all the way.  I shot some 60" LBs that came closer to stacking at over 29" and more than a few with more finger pinch.  The CH riser is so short it is like shooting a lot of other boyer's 60" or longer bows.  I have never owned a shrew, but would not hesitate to have a 56" CH at my draw length.  While the bows there had a riser combo that may not appeal to many, it is different and well done.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
Todd, I agree.  I thought the stained burl Gregg made looked cool but it wasn't my preference for a bow.  And like you I shot a couple of 60" and 62" bows that didn't draw as smooth to 29" as the Shrew CH 54" I shot.

I forgot to add the new Shrew Model T.  I really liked the added mass weight of this bow and the look is unique.  64" is my max length for a longbow choice and that feels a little long for me.  I talked with Gregg about a 62" for us height impaired fella's and he said he might could do it.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
I have to agree with Extrema and Kenneth on the Shrew Classic hunter.I particularly shot it to see if it would be smooth at my draw.I heard it would be a smooth short bow for longer draws from what i read about it.I had to see for myself.It was very smooth with no stack in the 56 incher for me out to 30.That was what I was impressed with about it.I definatly would have noticed it if it did not come back smooth all the way!Yuo get as much working limb as possible out of that bow with the extreemly short riser and I am sure the limb design helps alot as well.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
I had the same experience with the 54" forward handle Addiction Recurve that John Dill had there. I think the riser and limb design on these bows have gone a long ways to making shorter bows great shooters for longer draw lengths. Without that 500 pound gorilla called"finger-pinch" looking over your shoulder.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
I also got a chance to shoot some of Roy Hall's bows. Really liked the Apache.  :thumbsup:  Nice shooting bow,and very nice guy.

Bill

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
I shot a bow from almost every boweyer there , Gregg had one of his Javaman longbows for me to shoot again, this one was only 56" so smooth, and dead in the hand can't wait for mine to be done. Really liked the Konaha kurve as well really shot that bow well. Took Jon with me, he's pretty new to trad, he texted me several times last night about the bows he shot, he's hooked for sure, looks like he'll be ordering a new bow soon. There was another bow that I shot great, can't remember who's it was though[ holm-made?], it was osage and a textured finish on back of bow, and a thumb locator like a Fedora, very nice shooting bow. Shot a couple of bows with the foam and carbon fiber limbs, fast and quite, but felt odd after the shot? First time I've made it to K-zoo but will be back for sure, I may have bought a Asbell hooded vest as well. Wow you could spend a bunch there FAST!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
A 56" shrew CH stacking at 26"?  Your dreamin'

I draw mine to 30" and its smooth as butter. I've felt a 54" start to bottom out at my draw but thats why they make the 56".

I dont think any of the bows they had were new. Gregg didnt have time to build any bows for the show,(except the Mod-T) trying to get cought up on orders.

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©