3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Hunting Story  (Read 1387 times)

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Hunting Story
« on: January 30, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
I was on another hunting site & there was a lot of talk about good elk tactics & bad elk tactics. What I feel it really boils down to is the right tactic at the right time. A great tactic on the wrong situation or elk can go array or create major hang-ups which we've all experienced, generally leading to elk going the other way! Anyway just passing some time & figured on sharing this!

Guys will bugle for many reasons, when an answer is received it's common for them to want to continue calling in an effort to pull the bull over to them, rare is the case this bull comes trotting over their way from 100's of yards out this is especially so with a bull who's got cows! This is exactly what took place with my son & I on Sept 6th on an OTC public land hunt like most of us hunt!
We had come across a bull bugling 1/2 mile away, as we got closer we could hear a hunter bugling this bull from up on a small ridge a good 400yds away, it was right near daylight & this bull had a good group of cows which we would later see in a small mdw below the hunter. We were coming up this mtn well below the elk & the hunter with wind in our favor. As we approached this mdw the elk were on the move & out of the mdw by the time we made it up there, the bull & harem were moving to our right & away from this bugler. (primos special bugle) This guy bugling never moved an inch toward that bull, as we stopped there & listened it was very apparent that he was just going to stay there a give his best & very predictable 3 note classic bugle all morning!

I didn't want to intrude but could tell 2 things, this guy was never going to kill this bull & 2nd he wasn't going after him either. The distance between this bull & the original caller was now 1/2 mile but from our new position I could hear both clearly! I told my son let's go & be ready for when things start happening, because you're going to kill this bull. He grinned & we took off after this still moving but vocal bull. We stayed under the bull 150yds & out of sight as it was very thick & eventually cut the distance to where we were under him. This took just under an hour to do & we knew this bull was heading to his bedding area, we never called to this bull once up to this point.

Here's where reading a situation comes into play as well as only using sounds that fit this encounter & will get this bull to break away from all these cows & come our way!

We are now aprox 50yds from this group in major thick alders & the elk are above us, we can't see a thing, we can hear this bull using tending glugs (not glunks) as he checks & smells each cow as they near estrus, he's also huffing in very low tones. We can tell he's excited & very protective as he tends to them, we can hear light stomping & rustling as he moves around & through all these cows but there's this wall of alders a solid 40 yds thick. I set my son up only 10yds away from me on the uphill side & he knocks an arrow on his recurve, it's very thick & I cannot see him at all.

What am I going to do to call this bull over yet not run him off? (grin)

I am going to "Pose A Threat" to him & his cows! I know this is my best odds to get this bull to "react" at such a close distance as I need him to bust through these alders. There's no waiting them out in hopes of a shot with no calling I could see that. Too, this is no place for a cow call & or a spike squeal, the odds are much to low for success. If I use only a cow sound there's a good chance the bull would try to call me to the group & never come my way, 2nd a spike squeal is no threat & in many cases a real bull will only issue a verbal abuse to run off this small guy & I needed him to come over to us!
I am going to represent a real bull here & use a sound a real bull would in this situation. With my son setup & ready I gave a single cow mew a bit longer than average & screamed a short guttural blast that was as big as I could muster up! I instantly started stomping the ground & breaking dry branches from a dead downfall I was behind, this bull came through those alders like shot out of a cannon in a blink of an eye & stopped at 14yds from my son & 8yds from me & screamed a huge unmatchable bugle! My son drew & released & the bull exploded out of there! We found him 65yds later with the arrow through his heart!

It is very common for a real bull to issue forth with one or two mews & scream over the top of these in an effort to call this real bulls cows over to himself! No real bull worth his salt will stand for it when inside a 100yds!

As we stood over that bull my son looked at me & said "I guess you were right" I said what do you mean, he says you told me I was going to kill this bull, I had forgotten that! (grin) We were just lucky!

Bottom line, a bugle ran him off originally & a bugle eventually killed him, timing & selective sounds are key here as well as reading the situation!

ElkNut1  

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Hunting Story
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing that!  Wish i could have been there! (grin)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Great story. We've got about 6" of snow on the ground as I read this, I think I'll go down in the basement and go through my elk gear!

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Nice story and great elk.

Thanks for sharing with us..

Good luck this season..

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Great read and very well said.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Huge hunt & story! Thanks.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Nice story!  But lets not give away all the secrets we've learned over 40 yrs of hunting these things.  OK?

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Great story and photo. Nice time for this,5 inches of snow and still snowing hard.Time for another cup of coffee.Thanks for taking us along.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
Definition of cool!

I would have been the motionless bugle boy lol.  When I finally go elk hunting I hope I have an experienced elk hunter with me!  Not aftraid of working for a bull just don't know anything!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
Great write up.  And you didn't charge a dime for the lesson!
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
It's all about "Passing It on" I'm happy to share any info I have on any sound or technique we've used over the years. All you have to do is ask! (grin)

ElkNut1

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
Very cool story, of a very well thought out hunt!

Thanks for sharing Elknut,  let's have some more    :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Great bull and superb shot placement--doesn't look like it could have been better.  Congratulations to you and your son.  No better way to spend time with him than that.    :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Great job Paul I did my own calling this year on a DIY in CO elk hunt with your calls they were easy to learn and use. I did not have your kind of success I did not even hear a real bull that I know of. I saw some but could not get any to talk I still have alot to learn and with your help I may get there someday. Thanks for giving back.   Widow AKA (Darren)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
I have a couple things to add to this. One- this was not 'just something that happened'. The bull died because of team work; and knowing when and how to bugle.
 If I have a day where I am shooting great; and make fantastic shots; and do everything right; and let myself get real conceited about it- I can never in my wildest conceit get to Elknuts level of reality.
 One thing though- is when he said:
" this bull came through those alders like shot out of a cannon in a blink of an eye" - DO NOT THINK THAT WAS AN EXAGGERATION!
 If your going to bugle or cow call be ready.
Elk can embarrass race horses. I have gone into areas silently and thought - 'this looks like a good spot to call'; and let out a bugle; or a cow call- and missed up close shots because I wasn't ready to shoot- instantly.
 If you step into the elks zone and call- you have to be ready for an arrow to fly. It may not happen- but you need to be ready for it to happen.
 a tip of the hat to elknut and congrats to his son for the shot !
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline stickbow04

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I love when a plan comes togather, thanks great read

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Thanks- great story.  I can dream. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Love those black antlers.

Hey, that looks like my Doug Knight recurve.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
That is an awesome story. You made it happen. In elk hunting that is so many times what you have to do. You were agressive at the right times. Mighty fine shooting as well. A team Brian said and that is what I read about. Thanks for the story. I learned some that may help me on my next adventure.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
Great team work....love it when a plan comes together...Know an animals habits are just time in the field and watching and observing. You win some you lose some but you are always learning and cateloging situations for NEW time.

I remember a sheep hunt we had. We drew straws and I lost. So we had seen him the day before and there was a bowhunter moving across the ridge (he never saw the sheep at all).

He came out of his bed and went up this trail and disappeared.

So I got to be the wandering bowhunter and my buddy ended up taking his escape trail.

I waited for him to get into position and I started my ascent. I couldn't see him from where I was (like the fella the day before), but i just wandered up the slope eating blueberries and trying not to make eye contact.

One thing about bowhunting you don't know if anyone has shot....be hell getting lost.

FIRE THREE ARROWS (fire three more) and then have to walk out of the bush with no arrows  :bigsmyl:  

Anyway it took me about 2.5 hours to make it up to the basin he was in......NOTHING

No buddy NO sheep....ok waht happened.

Then from behind this huge outcropping came my buddy looking a bit dejected.

I asked what happened..he said that he didn't trust his gut and covered a different trail after I disappeared. He went on a different trail and that ram had comeup the identical trial we had seen him go the day before and he was too far away.

The ram disappeared over the ridge and he followed trying to get a shot but he was already 60 yards below him.

So we chalked that one up to experience too  :banghead:  .

Jer Bear
  :banghead:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©