3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What type of "fire starter" do you carry in Backpack?  (Read 988 times)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What type of "fire starter" do you carry in Backpack?
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
Vaseline Soaked Cotton Balls..... Who'd A Thunk It? Other than Not Me.  :knothead:   FirePiston Work Well with the Cotton Balls?? Or just Carry Some Matches in a Small Container  IN  The Same Bag? Fire Rookie here!  :rolleyes:  
  Being the "Smoker" that I am, I  ALWAYS  have a Zippo on Me.  :archer:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Magnesium and dryer lint for me.  Been carring it since I learned about it while stationed in Fairbanks Alaska back in '85.

USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
I go to the supermarket an buy these things called "firestarters".
I then apply flame from a ciggarette lighter,,,also available from most supermarkets.
Once I've applied the flame,the whole lot gets going real strong.
Best thing since sliced bread,,,,,,an a darn sight better than all this other stuff.
Don't you guys have supermarkets ?
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
Frassettor was nice enough to gift me with a small kit that has the firesticks and waxed cottonballs.  I usually use a firesteel to ignite either, but I also add in a small container of hand sanitizer.

That stuff will ignite with no effort at all, and can be applied in many different ways.
Support the sport!

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
Sliced up inner tube.  Burns hot and long.  

You can take the package your freeze dried meals come in, slice up and it really burns for a long time.  Don't even have to really dry it off from your meal.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
I should have added that I used "inner tube rubber bands" to hold my gamebags, etc. in compact bundles so I always have some fire starter, even if I didn't pack some just for fires.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Bic lighter
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Bug dope.  Burns real well as a starter and does double duty in the bug months.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Dryer lint and matches in a waterproof container

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
Three or four bic lighters - Water proof matches - firesticks if I am walking or hiking. Use the dry twigs under the spruce bows.

NOW if I am on horse back - A small plastic bottle (coke - whatever) fill half full of DIESEL FUEL. My machete.

I have been out in some nasty ass weather and tried to get a fire started and nothing around but wet wood and nothing beats that DIESEL FUEL for me (don't need much).

One match or your lighter and you are off to the races.

Jer Bear

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
I teach wilderness survival courses and practice ultralight backpacking.  I have seen most fire starting methods out there and have tried hundreds.  Yet at the end of the day, it must be light, work in the rain, and be easy enough to light if I'm experiencing trauma.  I carry Vaseline-soaked cottonballs and a striker.  Most often I carry a simple one like those sold by the Boy Scouts or Light My Fire.  However, the one-handed Blast Match is a super invention that allows you to start a fire easily with no effort in ONE hand.  Plus, it will light a host of other natural materials as it produces HOT sparks and gives you control over where they land.  Very hard to beat.  

Matches are a waste of time, as are lighters.  They work, but I wouldn't trust my comfort, and certainly not my life with them.  Wind will seek to blow them out and water can destroy the best in minutes.  However, the Vaseline-soaked cottonballs burn hotter with the wind, will light when soaked in water if properly coated/sealed in Vaseline, and the Blast Match will work in a driving wind and rain.   Also, "waterproof" containers aren't the cure-all.  A "waterproof" container with as near-waterproof form of ignition as possible is  the best bet.  

Also, be sure to carry at least two forms of making fire in separate locations (i.e. one in your pack and one on your person).  You can get separated from a pack VERY easily, even just going to the bathroom.  

I make and use fire pistons, but they're pretty tough if one arm is immobilized.  Plus, you've gotta be good at producing fire from a small ignition source.  Matches make a flame, but have fun striking them when you can't feel your fingers and the wind is howling.  Lighters can be used one handed, unless again you can't feel your fingers.  At my seminars, I usually show how to light a fire using only my mouth.  Assuming you can get the materials from your pocket/pack, you can get a Vaseline-soaked cottonball out of a film container, set and "fire" the Blast Match, and get a flame going with just your mouth.  Don't try it just for fun, 'cause your eyebrows may be thicker than mine!  However, that's a pretty good field test in my book.  

Hope this helps!
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Muskoxman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
If you need something you can light, when things are soaking wet and your hands are so cold and numb you can't hardly make them work, carry a flare.

John
BW PRS V 56in 56@28

---------------------------------
If it ain't one thing ,it's ten others

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
Check this out

jer

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
For obvious and easy reasons a Bic grill lighter. I'll use that until it's gone and after that a fire piston and some prepared tinder.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
Have always carried either cotton balls with vaseline or dryer lint and vaseline. Both work extremely fast, combined with a magnesium starter. Never takes more than 2 strikes and you've got fire. Vaseline lets it burn long enough and hot enough to build a good size fire quick.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
I have an old time fire starting kit with flint, steel, char cloth and rolled up jute.  It also has a magnifying glass in the top.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
firesticks...waterproof matches in waterproof container and a lighter...the sticks are great. You get a solid flame for 7-8 minutes...long enough to light anything that'll burn

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Hunted Adak for years and never carried anything.  Why bother, there's nothing to burn.

PW Sound will challenge you to start any kind of fire.  Best is to split green alder if you have a good starter.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
I used magnesium. I like the waterproof wood matches that strike on anything and a travel soap container with frito's in it.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Ike 403

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
Bic lighter and dryer lint/Vaseline in a film canister. Hasn't failed me yet.

Once, at an office picnic, I used a mag bar, the fuzz off of a cat tail and a hand full of Fritos to start the charcoal...just because....  :D
The great bow twanged. The black arrow sped straight from the string, straight for the hollow
by the left breast where the foreleg was flung wide. In it smote and vanished, barb, shaft,
and feather, so fierce was its flight.~J.R.R. Tolkien-The Hobbit

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©