3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Metal riser Bear T/D  (Read 547 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Metal riser Bear T/D
« on: January 30, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
What can you all tell me about the metal riser Bear Take downs?  I've seen lots of threads about the wooden riser takedown, but very little on the metal risers.  I just bought a "B" handle with limbs to make it a #48 pounder.  The bow I'm getting also has a neat sight system built into the riser with red circle sight pins.  Prices are all over the map on Bear takedowns, what's a nice metal handle worth?

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Metal riser Bear T/D
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
The metal is magnesium, though not worth as much as the wood they are good shooters

Offline bearbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Depending on condition just the handle can range from $125 to $300. If its kinda beat and has some holes itsa a good $125 hunting, carp wackin etc. If the handle is about new in the box a collector that does not have one might consider paying $300 for it. Average very good used should run about
$150 to $175. An A is usually a little higher. Limbs in that weight range(assuming they are red tips)run about $150 to $225. depending on condition. Limbs over 50 lbs are worth mome depending on the weight. A complete bow usually sells from $300 to $450.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
It's 48#....not #48.  8^).

The magnesium risers (Mag)...were introduced in the very early 1970's, when nearly all archery companies were moving toward metal risers....mostly for their target models.  There were many reasons for that in regard to shootability, performance, etc.  But anyhoo....Bear introduced the Bear Mag. Takdown in three riser sizes.  A, B and C, that could be matched with limbs, 1, 2 and 3, to create various lengths for just about any archery application.

They are not as valuable to collectors as the wood risers, but they are great shooters.  The built-in sight system is the Bear Premier Sight, that was introduced in the mid 1960's in their wood riser Tamerlane target bow...then also put in a few other bows for target and hunting.  

The price is what someone is willing to pay, but will usually be about 60% of the price of a wood riser takedown, if it is in great condition.  I've seen them go for as little as $200.00 and as high as $450.00 for a like new model., but average will be around $250.00 to $300.00'ish, with wide differences due to condition....and who's looking.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
Great bows, had two risers and 3 sets of limbs, in the '80s. Wish I still had them!

The sweet thing, now is there is some great aftermarket limbs available.

Personally, I would much rather have the mag riser over the wood! Another working mans bow!

Enjoy, post pics when you get it, if possible!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
You have a great bow there. Enjoy it.
I have a handful of bows and my most accurate and stable bow is a bear A mag with #2 limbs.
If you ever grow tired of it and want to sell it -- I'll take it.
They are that good.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 02:43:00 AM »
I have access to one. Are limbs available?
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 03:31:00 AM »
Like this One? It's called "The Minuteman". The limbs don't use bolts to hold them on. I shot one of these Years ago. What I remember is that it was a very nice shooter.

Note: The pic is from RMSGear.com website.

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 04:15:00 AM »
Yeah....similar (if not the same). I shot it about 6 mos. ago and I liked it. As I remember the limbs are 40-45#.

Can you get limbs made?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 04:22:00 AM »
You be able to find someone that can make you limbs. I would email the Bear archery company and ask them first.

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 04:33:00 AM »
I'll check it out Guido. =0)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »
Mysticguido, thats a 76er, not a minuteman. It has solid fiberglass limbs, no taper, the Minuteman has a thicker laminated wood/glass limb and bigger limb pocket that the limb goes through, more similar to a regular Bear takedown limb. I have both of them, good bows for the money!
samuel koger

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
On RMSGear.com they call it the Minuteman...

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Congrats…Out of all the bows I’ve owned, I’ve kept a Bear magnesium T/D with me the longest. The one pictured is a B handle with #2 limbs that I acquired earlier this year and will finish setting it up over the winter. The information given so far just about tells the tale, but I wanted to also mention that different grips were available: low, middle, and high. The mid grip (2R…right-handed) is on the bow and the other is the high grip. Enjoy, Rick.  

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Koger is correct, that model is the 76'er.  The Minuteman had laminated limbs, maple and fiberglass, not solid fiberglass.    The 76'er also had another name later, like Black Bear T/D or something, but the Minuteman was a step above with the laminated limb setup.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
I bought an "A" handle bow in 1972 and still have it.I'm actually in the process of refinishing it right now.As already stated,they are great shooters.Mine shoots right there with the best custom bows I have owned.I think the magnesium nandle TD's are much overlooked as a fine,workhorse,hunting bow.A lot of bow for the money.

Mine weighs almost exactly the same as my newer model wood handle TD.

It has always taken a little more to quiet it than my other bows but not too big a deal.

All the bear limbs should fit it (3 different lengths)plus there are great aftermarket limbs being made by Schafer,Rose Oak and RER.The Minuteman and 76er limbs are totally different and not to be confused.

You snagged a great bow.Enjoy it.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
JimB,  once people get it through their heads that the metal riser has been around longer than most of them have, and isn't the work of the devil, they will become more popular.  Hopefully not until we have collected all we want first 8^).

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
Amen to that George.The metal will never have all the nuances of fancy wood but I still think that that magnesium riser is more asthetically pleasing than any of the modern metal handles and I love the takedown mechanism.

Either Fred had an incredible eye for shape,line and form or he had someone on staff that did.Custom bowyers are still being influenced by the lines of the Kodiaks,Super Kodiaks etc.

I have recently been lucky enough to be invited to go lion hunting a few times and am constantly reminded that it is a good idea to travel in steep country with your hands free,except for maybe a good walking stick.I have been toying with the idea of adding limb sleeves to the sides of my Cat Quiver,which has the large pack on it.The riser could go in the pack with jacket etc.

Things get kind of exciting when you get to the tree and many houndsmen don't like a lot of fidgeting at the moment of truth-some don't even like bows because of bad experiences.But I believe I could get this bow assembled and strung fast enough to get the job done.It is probably the only 3 piece TD bow I would consider for that.

I showed the bow to a friend the other day who is older than me and a lifelong "traditional"shooter and long bow enthusiust and he was impressed with the feel of the 2R grip.

I have always thought it was a mistake to discontinue the magnesium takedowns .Three different riser lengths,3 different limb lengths,3 different grips,set up for any accessory you could ever need,tough enough for bow fishing or mountain climbing,smooth and accurate enough for target work.

What more could you need in a bow?I think it was an extremely well engineered and well thought out system and I would bet,with a little marketing it would still be viable today.

I was just watching an "A" handle bow and saw this morning that it "brought" something like $362 and it wasn't clean.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
That was a good price on that A.  I already have one or it would have been a little higher.

Offline RGinWY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
I keep a B handle 60"x 60# in my boat for shoot'n carp.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©