3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why make it so dang difficult?  (Read 688 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Why make it so dang difficult?
« on: January 30, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
All this talk hear lately about EFOC,right or left helical, stike plates, dynamic spine, etc..etc.. I been at this for a few years now and you guy's make my head spin but if I was a new guy I would not know which way was up! cut us some slack! WOW! Jason

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why make it so dang difficult?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
I keep mine simple. I shoot 10 gr.#, a sharp broadhead and the arrows fly right.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Jason,

In case you haven't figured it out, this is what we do between hunting seasons. Don't take it too seriously. Any newbies can ask questions and get great answers that won't blow their minds.

Relax! All this other stuff just keeps some of us entertained until we can get back into the woods.
   ;)  

Russ
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
Kiss( keep it simple stup&%) is still the easiest way to go.   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
Technique and style are like opinions. Take them with a grain of salt. Choose what info works for you and use it. All this info given out just proves that there is no "one correct way"! As you get a little more experienced you too will will be giving out advice of a technical nature as well. Just don't get upset when someone Else's opinion differs from your own. So take small bites of the info and run with it! Enjoy yourself!
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:
Jason,

In case you haven't figured it out, this is what we do between hunting seasons. Don't take it too seriously. Any newbies can ask questions and get great answers that won't blow their minds.

Relax! All this other stuff just keeps some of us entertained until we can get back into the woods.
    ;)    

Russ
:thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
C'mon now Covey, don't you strive for better arrow flight when your results are less than desirable? Is it not human nature to improve on what we have until it's the way we need/want it to be? When you were a teenager, didn't you tinker around with your car engine just to get it to go a little bit faster or run better? It's the same with trad archery as much as anything else, especially when you hunt with your bow. If you can get a little better penetration on that whitetail just by tinkering with your side plate or adding a little extra weight to the end of your arrow, isn't it worth it instead of buying new arrows or something else expensive? Lighten up a bit!   :)    ;)
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
I've found there are "techies" in all hobbies and they just enjoy fiddling around with the technical stuff.  Some of it I read and most of it I ignore but they seem to enjoy it and talking about it.

I'm an old dog and like to check out the new tricks sometimes.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
I kept it real simple my first yr...I had no idea what I was doing, and no one to show me.

Managed to shoot a deer with arrows so poorly matched and with a nock set so low the paint was wore off my arrows. Got a complete pass thru and watched the deer go down from my stand.  It worked  but it didn't make it right. I've come a long way since then.

I like to tinker with my set ups...half the fun for me.   My good buddy is just the opposite, that's the beauty of archery, make it as simple or complex as YOU like.  He was smiling for three days when I made him a new string as it completely changed the way his bow shot. He thought a string is just a string.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
I never have had problems in oh, about 50 years of shooting arrows, getting arrows to fly.  I've always kept it real simple, have never bare shafted or paper tuned, or any of the other techy stuff some guys are so into (not that there's anything wrong with that if that floats your boat). It sometimes seems to me that we are needlessly complicating something that is essentially very simple  Could it be a hold-over from compound days?  Indeed, if performance is the main aim, if we could somehow just put some cams or wheelie things out on the limb tips, I bet we could even get more speed.....oh, wait, I think somebody named Allen already did that, didn't he?     :rolleyes:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
The more complicated, the better.  

I figure the more things we're supposed to know, study, and get EXACTLY right, the more excuses I have.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
I like to piddle. Keeps me in the backyard and out of trouble in the off season. Plus, it allows me to learn, first hand, what does and does not work.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
Ya,if you pay attention to EFOC, bareshafting, paper tuning, polished BH edge, GPP etc. it makes you less trad   :readit:    :knothead:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
Covey.  Don't seat it.   Work on your shootin...... Much more important than all those acronyms combined.    :readit:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
IMO some compound shooters making their way over to our side of the fence brought their baggage with them.  :p  Most important for us is to learn HOW TO SHOOT RIGHT!

Then we can/should/maybe tinker with our hunting rigs. Find what works and stick with it. You are gonna want proper arrow flight and a quiet bow for big game hunting anyway. Simple.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
ignorance is best fought with intellect. Knowledge is power. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline kung fu kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
I completely agree w/ David Mitchell.  As a teen many years back, I bought a Pearson 40# recurve, got some arrows spined for 45#, and started shooting.  Able to get groups the size of my palm @ 100ft after a year of occasional shooting around after school.  Using Bear arrows store bought would have taken any game I would go after.  So much simpler then.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
I don't get it either, it's a stick & a string for cryin out loud  !!!!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Everyone who isn't interested, isn't ignorant. Knowledge is indeed power, but like any power, it must be managed sensibly.

I love it when folks start spouting axioms...it does make them sound like they are in the know 8^).

You can make it as hard or as easy as you need, friend Covey.  I'm basically using the same relative setup that I used over forty years ago.  Of course that would make it antiquated to the new age traditionalist, but it works wonderfully...and is extremely deadly and accurate.

What you need to do is simply get your equipment shooting perfectly...it doesn't matter whether it fits someone elses idea of what is appropriate; lots of these folks weren't even born yet when many of us were shooting field rounds and killing bucks with the bow and arrow.

Archery is still fun, and easy....you can keep it that way, or stress yourself to the point of taking up golf (shhhuuuuddddeeerrrr).  Hang in there and enjoy....it's an El Nino year and there will be lots of hot air flying during the course of the year 8^)))))))))))).

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
Quote:"When you were a teenager, didn't you tinker around with your car engine just to get it to go a little bit faster or run better?" I can answer that one..NO! Never! My dad and brothers loved doing that kind of stuff. I was happy with a stick and string, it could be a bow or a fishing pole, it didn't matter to me. I'd take an old single shot shotgun and walk the pastures, fields, fence lines and railroad tracks but I hated greasy stinking cars. I found it a pure delight to figure out mom's long handled teaspoons if hammered out flat and sharpened with a file made a darn good broadhead to tie onto the end of my arrow after I cut that long handle off.
 She wasn't nearly as pleased with them as I was though...lol
When I started driving things didn't change much for me but it did give my older brother and dad something else to try and tinker with but I would stop them if I caught them monkeying with it. I always said if it gets from point A to point B and back again, it's good enough.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©