3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why make it so dang difficult?  (Read 687 times)

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why make it so dang difficult?
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
I for one enjoy the more technical tips that are presented here; and to think, they are free.
To each their own.  If you don't agree you can certainly disregard the information.  Great site here with a lot of options.
Ken Thornhill

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
I love when people love what I say. Im sure that there can't possibil be a better way for for an arrow to be shot from a stick and string. If it was just about simple, wouldn't we all be shooting primitive equipment? Just cuz it can be simple doesn't mean you should no londer look to improve. I tend to think that I am in the know, and don't ever plan on stopping at "good enough for me". Imay not have been born when some of you were shooting deer with bows but that doesn't mean that what I have learned is less relevant.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Covey:
All this talk hear lately about EFOC,right or left helical, stike plates, dynamic spine, etc..etc.. I been at this for a few years now and you guy's make my head spin but if I was a new guy I would not know which way was up! cut us some slack! WOW! Jason
I gotta be honest chief, it's a little surprising you would take the time to log on to this online forum to type that post in. A forum without information would be a sad place indeed. ;-)

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
It gives everyone something to talk about; if you can't shoot or hunt at least we can BS and maybe learn something.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Poor arrow flight manifests itself in poor penetration. I put excellent arrow flight ahead of bow poundage, arrow weight,arrow speed, and broadhead design. For that reason, I'll keep fiddling & tinkering, looking for the most efficient setup for clean kills...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
I only care about my arrows flying perfectly with broadheads attached... Actually I tune arrows using my Zwickeys.

I did do the FOC formula the other night only because I found it in a book and had a calculator handy.. Yeah my arrows are %23 FOC and fly PERFECT... LOL

Shoot well and often...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
So less tech threads and more like this?    :goldtooth:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by NDTerminator:
Poor arrow flight manifests itself in poor penetration. I put excellent arrow flight ahead of bow poundage, arrow weight,arrow speed, and broadhead design. For that reason, I'll keep fiddling & tinkering, looking for the most efficient setup for clean kills...
Well said!    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Make it as simple or complex as you like. Don't let others tell you to make your shooting any more complex than you want it to be.  Trad archery can be as simple as a carved tree limb, a sinew string and some cane arrows with stone points.  Or you can go full blown with a DAS Dalla, efoc arrows and all the bells and whistles.  How complex it gets is entirely up to you.  If you don't like the technical discussions just ignore the threads that include them.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
No offense ya'll, I've been shooting a recurve for about 6 years and the reason I picked one up was for the simplicity of it. I shoot a 54# @ 28" silvertip and can put arrows in a duct tape roll at 25 yards I shoot 2117's with 125 grn snuffers they weigh about 550 grn's "10grn's per pound". I'm glad ya'll know all that tech stuff so I can glance at and then see what George has to say about it!  :D   I like to read about stumping, squirrel, rabbit, deer and what ever else you guy's like to hunt. Sorry to offend anybody JMO that's all! Jason

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
Most of this "tech talk" is basically the small end of nothing, whittled down to a fine point.  If it floats someones boat,fine. It is more value to Field archers, i.e olympic archery.  As for hunting requirements its basically useless, and often a needless distraction-- causes needless aniexty, especially for newbees. My experience, leads me to believe, as others have suggested-that it is mostly "compound baggage."

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
To a certain point, I think you're right...but...

I've seen way to many that get into this sport with that mentality that don't do nowhere near enough to get a well tuned set-up. Keep it simple, no need to tinker, bla, bla ,bla

Just buy a bow and arrows that someone said would work and then end up with terrible arrow flight,a louder than it should be bow, etc.....see it all the time at gatherings....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chuck Hoopes:
Most of this "tech talk" is basically the small end of nothing, whittled down to a fine point.  If it floats someones boat,fine. It is more value to Field archers, i.e olympic archery.  As for hunting requirements its basically useless, and often a needless distraction-- causes needless aniexty, especially for newbees. My experience, leads me to believe, as others have suggested-that it is mostly "compound baggage."
Amen... brother, Amen...!  Jason

Offline barley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Just a stick and string and straight wood arrows with old Pearson deadheads for me. But then, I can see where trying new ways would be fun. Just keep it down with the gadgets!

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
I said it before and I’ll say it again. Some of you all are picking fly poop out of the pepper. Hunt and have fun
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
""... picking fly poop out of the pepper."

I Like That!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
bow--arrow--shooter...nuff said
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2010, 03:01:00 AM »
I have to agree with Curt on this one..
 When I started trad I bought a longbow and some wood arrows the guy said I needed and that was it.
 I never could get good arrow flight or consistent groups, I did get lucky and killed a deer that year but wounded two does after my first buck (which was pure luck as it was not a well placed shot). I pretty much gave up bow hunting for a couple years.
  I got back into it and found this site and have learned more about tuning my setup and shooting in general than I ever knew. Now I love bow hunting more than I ever did with a wheelie bow and I was ate up with that.
 I take the info that I need and apply it to my hunting situations and can shoot a golf ball or anything that size out to 30 yards (most of the time) in a hunting situation although I limit myself to 25 yards in the woods just because it seems right to me.

I still like to keep it as simple as I can without the gadgets and such, But as far as all the info I find here... All I can say is thanks for making available if I need it Gang.  
  :thumbsup:  
 Kris
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2010, 04:26:00 AM »
It's all good. Just so long as everyone has fun and no one gets an eye poked out.  :thumbsup:
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
You can learn a lot with just a click of your mouse. Or choose not to. I agree with Guru
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©