3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Walk in the woods today with my son  (Read 199 times)

Offline dpowers311

• Trad Bowhunter
Walk in the woods today with my son
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
Me and my 7yo son went for a walk in the woods today. We followed several different deer trails. I had the chance to show him what there beds looked like. He walked one trail while I walked another and found they came together with another and he said this is where you should put your treestand. I asked him why and he said I might see more deer here. He is learning.

Then we went sledding.
We had a fun day.

Dave
Bryan Holley Spirit Longbow
62" 50@28
Timberhawk Falcon
62" 48#@28

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Walk in the woods today with my son
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline SkottyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Its great spending time with the kids. I took the day off from the ICU and played wth the kids in the snow.
>>>------Scott------->

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
Sounds like a good time....they grow up to fast..... you might want to listen to him on the stand placement...lol!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Brings back memories don't let them grow up!
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
:clapper:
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
good stuff.

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
It's very cool when you get to witness the little light bulb turn on and they walk themselves to the right conclusion. Scouting 101 and he passed. Very nice.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Just wait until it is time for you to teach him how to blood trail his first deer ! I will never forget watching my 7 yr old trail his first. yeah it was not a trad kill but oh the excitement ! We were on good blood and the deer ran uphill about 50 yds. I saw the deer piled up in the distance but kept my son's nose down on the blood as I walked beside him. The look on his face when he scanned ahead 10yds and got missile lock on his first deeer !

Take him stumpin all you can. Some of the best times we have had as father and son is a simple stumpin trip. We always stump our way along as we do after season scouting, shooting lane clearing, camera checks, preseason stand hanging, etc. Fight, scratch, and dig for all the time you can to spend with him ! Mine is now turning 14 in a few months and I feel time slipping away.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Shad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Awesome!!!!
~Shad~
PBS Associate Member

Robert "Boo Boo" Benson
10-12-36 to 02-06-11
My Gramps, my mentor, my best friend

"The measure of a bowhunter is not how many animals he takes each year, but how he does it. " - Jay Massey

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
Every minute spent with the kids in the woods is special. They are sponges seeking to soak up all that they see, smell, touch and learn. IN all of our adventures, whether hunting, scouting,stump shooting, or just walking around, they always smile, and never seem to tire of it.

My oldest son reached the age where Dad no longer has to directly accompany him, and he is free to direct his own hunt as he sees fit. It was a little bittersweet for me, as I came to really treasure time sitting in the blind together, or sharing a pair of treestands. YEt, I was proud to see him become self reliant, and learn from the consequences of of his decisions.

When we would return to camp, his stories of decisions made make me proud. He is no doubt in my mind a responssible, safe and ethical participant in the outdoors.

My youngest son continues his apprenticeship with me as well. but as kids do, he also looks up to his big brother as a role model. Learning for him is a mix from his brother and I, and he too has already proven to me that his ethics are right.

Every day spent in the woods and outdoors with the kids I treasure. My boys are also my best friends, truly a gift from God.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
Fantastic!  The more time you can spend with him in the outdoors the more it will be come a part of him, and the better off he will be in my opinion.  Keep up the good work!!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
That be the ticket,I love those walks
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©