3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where would you go?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
Where would you go?
« on: April 17, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
I live in Metro-hell (between DC and Baltmore, ya know!) and considering buying some land somewhere that is clean, in a safe area, reasonabily priced and within a 5-6 hr or less drive from the DC/Balt area (can't get too far out from the folks) and has direct access to great public hunting. I have come to terms with the fact that we can't afford to buy a large tack of private land anywhere around here these days. I was thinking somewhere ajecant to the George Washington National Forest? Maybe WV? SW Va? Low taxes a major plus! Give me some ideas folks.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where would you go?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 06:23:00 AM »
Uh oh. He's after my spot!!

Killdeer  :mad:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Luke Vander Vennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
Move to Ontario, there's lots of land up here. Just take the folks with you  ;)
Dances with Turtles

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
I have friends that have bought land in S W Va and it was relatively cheap. One bought his at auction for an almost steel. I don't remember what he paid. The area they are in is depressed and therefore prices are lower. Good game on both properties.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
Hey, good luck... I escaped from that same area and couldn't be happier!!! Its purty down that way in WV or VA... personally, I 'd move to the WV side... Lots of good public land out there...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
JL can't help with finding land for sale, but there is a bunch of public land that does not get a lot of pressure during the archery season. you can check out all the public land by going to the VDGIF's web site.     http://www.dgif.state.va.us/
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
I say West Virginia would be my choice! I know of a spot here in Ny, but ya cannot build on it, but great hunting. It is about 6 hours for ya! Shawn
Shawn

Offline LEFTY_ IN_ WV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
Well you can see where I live. Let me briefly share w/ you a show I watched on tv a couple weeks ago. It was on economic develpoment between WV, & VA. I must admit VA is one of the best states one could move, speaking purely from an economical stand point. It has ALOT of great things going for it, except for gun wielding freaks ie,,, that horrible tragedy. Having said that, I'm never leaving my WV mountians. Despite the depressed, overly latigious (sp?) condition of the state, it's home!!! My wife & I are nurses, so we do well. I feel we may have better hunting to offer than VA, but I've not deeply researched that aspect. Southern WV has monster bucks, that elude a poachers best efforts, year after year. I'll post a couple of pics of what southern WV has to offer. Where ever you go, best of health & happiness.
"Seek Quality Not Quantity"
>>>===LEFTYINWV===>

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
JL,

I recommend Winfield West Virginia area!!! Check out those pics leftys got there. Any woods near his place is where you outa be! WOW!!!!!
hunt it

Offline LEFTY_ IN_ WV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
Those are from Southern WV. There are, I believe, 4 BOW ONLY counties down there. Very, very rugged terrain. You can sit for 3 days & not see anything, & then one of those creatures shows up. Gotta be part mtn goat to hunt in them thar parts.
"Seek Quality Not Quantity"
>>>===LEFTYINWV===>

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Wowsers! Looka them bucks! Is there a nuclear power plant in Winfield? :eek:  

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
Take intestate 68 west and pick a spot.  My recomendations would be between Deep Creek Maryland and Morgantown WV.  Great hunting, trout fishing , kayaking, whitewater rafting, and thousands of acres of public ground.  I went to school in Morgantown at WVU and every week of the year we would pick something new to do.  There is abundent deer, turkey, bear wingshooting for grouse.  You would also be within 4 hours of Baltimore during rush hour, I almost forgot, no rush hour in WV.  You would also be within 2 hours of Pittsburgh so your wife could have good shopping fairly close.

Good luck in finding a home,
Steve

Offline LUCKY DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
Im glad to see you guys like the pictures taken on my farm  last year  LD.....

Offline LUCKY DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Those pictures lefty posted are actually from my farm in wyoming county WV they are from a bowhunting only county  I had recently posted them on bowsite  there are alot of very nice bucks in these counties .  I spend the whole month of november every year bowhunting this area ive had some pretty good sucsess over the years .   lefty is right terrain is very rough.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
Spots hard to hunt hardly get hunted. :-)
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 07:07:00 AM »
Lucky... You ever find sheds from any of those Mountain Goats??   I mean Big Bucks...
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
Is this a place you want for just a retreat or to live?  Will it be after retirement (meaning no need for employment nearby)?  What type of terrain are you looking for? (Mountains, rolling foothills, farmland, woodland) I would say either look in WV near the bow only counties or in SW VA (I'm partial to VA).  I would avoid places north of Staunton because they are close enough to DC that their value is too high, also a large segment of horse farms which usually means big money, which means big taxes.  There's a lot of nice communities 45 minutes west of I-81 which are far enough off track to be relatively cheap.  Spend some weekends driving in areas that seem likely to you and get a feel for the community.  Finding land for sale may be more difficult in those backwoods areas.  You may have to talk to some farmers/locals to see if anyone is looking/willing to sell some land.  You've got a better chance of buying a larger section than just a plot because most in those areas want to keep the rural feel and not have a bunch of houses pop up on small lots.  Check with a local realtor in the area, they are usually someone who grew up in the area and know about everyone in the county and who'd likely have some land.  I'd also suggest carefully studying the game regulations of both states and decide which one has the approach/seasons more in-line with your way of hunting.

Have fun.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
Some good info here folks. Trying to find land that has utilities available, that will perk and is still somewhat close to the metro area is a tough find these days. Seems like everybody is searching for the same thing. Word of mouth sales can be fruitfull but you have to be ready to move quickly when the opertunity presents itself or someone else will be signing the note at closing. I would like to be far enough out that encroaching development will be held at bay so I can enjoy my retreat without being over run by housing developments,ect. I may have to look further out then I anticapated to find property that will perk and is affordable, just in case I decide to relocate. I guess mountian property would be cheaper but may not afford the ability to put up a house, if wanted. A lot of variables to take into consideration before making a move.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
If you're looking to relocate, this would be pretty cool. This is in Indiana.

My guess is this will go for less than $5K per acre.

Most probably around $3K/acre plus buildings.

http://www.schraderauction.com/index.cfm/fa/auctions.view/auctionid/1357.htm

WARNING:  This is within an Arrow shot of Voodoofire1's place!!!   :biglaugh:
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©