3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rabbit and Squirrel hunting?  (Read 415 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Rabbit and Squirrel hunting?
« on: January 31, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
I've been doing some of this with my bow and there are few thing's more fun. My ? is, what are you guy's using for shaft's and small game heads? chucking aluminum shafts and 5$ small game heads get's purdy expensive. Pics of your setup would be great! Thanks, Jason

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rabbit and Squirrel hunting?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
just    a    few    using    search    feature  

Good luck, Happy hunting.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
I can agree with you.  Not only is it fun it tends to get expensive. But me being a gear head for small game heads usually end up spending more on small game heads and arrows then I do on broadheads.  

I prefer the G5 SGH on a footed carbon arrow, absolutely devastating when you hit the animal.  Never had an animal die hard always a quick clean departure.  
Although I just got in the mail some of the new Red Feather talon small game heads and can't wait to try them out, hopefully get some time off next week and will return with pictures.
"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
I use wood (POC) arrows with glue on hex heads, sometimes old/used  broadheads if I'm hunting by myself.  I usually use junker arrows -- those I've shot at targets for a while, or those that don't match my big game arrows in weight or spine as closely as I'd like.  Hardwoods like hickory, ash, birch,etc. are tougher than cedar, but not being able to find an arrow or two is a bigger issue than breakage for me.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
I use the best arrows I own. I hate to miss anything and a squirrel is a tuff target. I love hunting small game. Heck one time I drove all the way to Wyoming just to hunt rabbits with some friends. I really like the Montec small game head.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
Well, I consider myself a expert at this subject!  I would post some videos of mine here but I cant(no HTTM), so I will just explain and you can check out the link in my signature.  But for both rabbits and squirrels I use my regular hunting arrows.  Since I use carbon arrows(beeman ICS bowhunters) I just simply replace them with a judo.  I shoot a 55# take down recurve, and they always do the trick.  If you want to go crazy like me and shoot into the trees with squirrels I would use 4 fletching flu flu's, but I always use regular fletching when they are on the ground.  Good luck and have a blast!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
I like to use these normaly on Carbon shafts! cheap, easy, tough, and work well on squirrels and rabits. The one pictured is not sharpened yet but I normaly sharpen the wing on a bench grinder, so that there is a cutting edge.

"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
Dang Buff, that's some root'n toot'n fine good shoot'n and them little bugger's are hard to hit. I went with some Amish friends of mine yesterday and we got a few shot's off but no hit's, had alot of fun though! Jason

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Covey this is what I did last week and am waiting to try it on the squirrels.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=084110;p=1#000000
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
how many of those have you lost?
~Chris Shelton

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
I'm shooting the AD Hammerheads. They can take every thing they hit, and with all the misses I make.....   :biglaugh:   I use this head.
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=083639;p=3#000038
 Prongs keep the arrow from going too far and put a big hurtin' on the critters. I like the wing nut set up too. I tried those many times.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Hey Covey, you already know what heads I shoot   :D  As to the shafts, here's a suggestion.  Every year in December and January Wal-mart clears their arrow inventory, they don't warehouse anything in the stores for the next season.  I've been able to buy their cheaper carbon arrows for any where from $2 to $3.50.  If you are hunting in rocky ground you can foot the carbons to make them tougher.  They are good arrows because they fly well for me from my bows.  I have to strip the vanes off and put feathers on them, but that's not a big deal.

I'm a small game nut, and when it comes to shooting at a critter I go by this rule "You'll never hit the critter you don't shoot at."  I have never regretted taking a shot at a small game animal and missing, but I've regretted not shooting.

I don't worry about losing arrows, but that doesn't mean that I just toss them away either.  I've saved a lot of money by using lighted nocks, but that may be because I hunt nutria and raccoons mainly at night.

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
I havent has much success in killing however in my stump /dirt clod shooting adventures a gold tip carbon tipped with a rubber blunt is hard to tear up unless you square up with a tree at less than 20 yards.
AcsCX 1pc 66" 47@28 Bocote
Predator  60" 52@28 Leopard/Shedua
Super diablo 50@28 bubinga/purple
Predator Riser phenolic/maple - cant decide on limbs yet.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
I can honestly say that I totally agree with StanM, I have also regreted not shooting.  What is the worst thing that can happened.  And if you are like me, and no matter how many arrows I have, I hate leaving the feild without all the arrows I had with me.  So with that mentality, I have lost 2 arrows, both were shot into trees and both were regular fletching.  Other than those two, I have not lost arrow using my carbon and judo set up!
~Chris Shelton

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
ACE HEX HEADS.

They won't get stuck in the trees,and they tend not to snake under brush too badly.As for arrows I use whatever shoots the best from the bow I'm using at the time.I have several hex heads done up in different weights.I use carbons and aluminums for SG hunting.I'm headed to wood this year and will be mounting up 145gr hex heads on the set of surewoods I have.

(Note-post #1000...yay for me... :rolleyes: )
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
I make up several dozen wood (poc) arrows, put on some 125 grain metal blunts or use 38 special  brass for arrow heads. Sometimes I don't even dip or seal the shafts because I know I'm going to lose or break them.
I'd be afraid to use carbons or aluminums because they are way to exspensive and I'd be afraid to take iffy shots.

Woodies work great !

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
I just need somthing cheap and effeciant. As soon as I can scrounge up some money I'm gonna try some Talon's! Jason

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
I shot at some this year,but i didn`t get any.I hope i do better next year.
Harold Wetzler

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©