3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fun little experiment ...  (Read 357 times)

Offline crashcastle

• Trad Bowhunter
Fun little experiment ...
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
My shooting and all around trad coach Wingnut has been working alot with me on my form and focus in getting ready for an upcoming pighunt. Well I have been trying to figure out why my shooting is so hit or miss so me and Mike did some talking and come up with the thought that it had to be focus. I thought to myself how do i practice focus  lol. Then came the idea tonight i waited till it was as dark as it was gonna get i snuck one of my sones glow in the dark toys out of his bedroom and charged it up slapped it on my block and went to town. My normal comfort zone is dang close about 17 yards well i was amazed i kept scooting further and further back and keeping them within a 2 inch circle. It seems that when i have no choice but to see a spot i hit it has anyone else tried anything like this to help their shooting. Oh and the final distance was about 32-34 yards and still drilling the target.
Please god let me live just more day in the woods.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fun little experiment ...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Well dang!  I finally got something right.  LOL

Mike

Now give Roy back his toy before I tell on ya.
Mike Westvang

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
I had something sort of like this happen by accident.
It is no secret that it is dark a lot in Alaska in the wintertime. Well I shoot into my garage while standing in the road. This winter I was doing this in the dark, with a work light in the garage shining on the target.
Standing in the dark, I could not see my arrow or bow hand, and had to just focus on the target. Like you I was impressed with how good I was shooting without the distraction of trying to second guess my instinctual aim.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
my friends and I used to shoot the local 3-D course at night using only the siloutes. I was amazed at how well we all shot. I also like shooting at a birthday candle placed about two or three feet in front of the target. Shooting at night is about the only option to shoot during the week with my job, go to work in the dark and come home in the dark... I am glad that it is only mon-thru.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
mr. furguson in an interview said he started paracticing shooting and fucusing byt shooting at a candle flam in his dark basement

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
now all you have to do is get that pig to stand still so someone can put a dot where to shoot mabe you could jury rig a lazer pointer on your bow ..I want half for the Idea!! may make a good training tool
Gord

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
So are you going to hunt in the dark, with something on the pig that glows 8^)?????

You really need to learn to focus when it's daylight outside....that is what will help with real hunting situations.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
George - have you ever tried it? Its great fun; and much laughter in competition with another ! Dark of the moon; you can't see your bow; or arrow; just your brain and the flame... its good for target panic too.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
I used to shoot trap competetively and did some night shooting tournaments.  I could hit very well under the lights but it really messed up my daytime shooting for a while afterwards.

I'm with George.  Keep up the daylight practice and concentrate on the spot.

Dennis

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
Something that makes you focus your attention allways works like that.When I first started everyone talked about shooting the flames off candles.4 days after I got my first longbow I could snuff them out pretty regularly.Thought it was a big deal at the time.  ;)  Problem was it still took almost a year before I could get that kind of focus in the daylight.Kind of disheartning to snuff out candles at night and miss a 3ft target in the daylight.  :biglaugh:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline crashcastle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
You have a point on the day time hunting and target choices but i really think getting focus where there was none is a step in the right direction plus its a confidence booster which helps you pracitce harder cause you know you can do it

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
As a matter of fact we used to shoot at candles in the dark....many moons ago.  It was a lot of fun for sure, but I really don't think it helped with focus.  I have been wrong before though....this morning I think it was 8^))))))))).

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
I don't think that shooting candles harms a guys ability to shoot well in the day.  The focus factor during the day is very important.  What shooting at night to a light will do is increase your confidence.  I think this is as important as anything.  If you shoot well at night you will be a more successful shooter during the day because your mind is telling you that you CAN hit the target.  IMHO

Offline crashcastle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
Exactly my thoughts Bill plus its kinda fun. Im setting up a different night target tonight thinking of a laser light pointing at my block from the ground or a post in my carport

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©