3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cabela's trip with surprising results  (Read 659 times)

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Cabela's trip with surprising results
« on: February 01, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
spent over an hour in cabelas yesterday and didnt buy a single thing.  What the heck is wrong with me. LOL.  My wife was totally blown away.  Seems like i used to average about a dollar a minute if I was lucky.  The was I see it there are two possible explanations either I have too much crap or I have decided that I dont need anymore crap.  The answer you get depends on if you ask me or the wife. LOLOL

Really wish there was a Trad shop in the area.

Caleb
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cabela's trip with surprising results
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
I can walk out of Cabellas or BPS without spending a dime usually, but when I walk out of a Trad shop...  It usually costs me an arm and a leg.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
Happens all the time to me.  Cabelas has some products I use and plenty I don't, or they don't have what I'm looking for at the time.  Did score a dozen finished wooden shafts for under $24, of course they're spinded between 62 and 70, but they'll do once I shorten em, fletch em, and put points on em.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
I've never found anything...except a mountain pie maker...that I wanted to buy from Cabelas.  Big catalog, little substance....at least for me.  Anything traditional archery I will try to buy through the various forum sponsors, Not some feller who doesn't know  the difference between Fred Bear and Smokey the Bear.

Offline nchunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
I've never found anything...except a mountain pie maker...that I wanted to buy from Cabelas.  
We don't have Cabelas here in North Carolina, but I always feel like George does whenever I visit Bass Pro Shops' megastore.  You would think a store that big would have all kinds of stuff I want, but they never seem to have the one thing I need!

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
It is easy to do that when you dont have money  :biglaugh:
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
I wound up with some Gander Mountain gift cards in a trade once... had a heck of a time finding something to use them on.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
The simple answer is usually the most correct: you have too much crap. Me, too.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
I am gonna call BS on the..."They don't have nothing I need/want" - commentaries.

Bass Pro, Gander, Cabelas have lots of stuff that relates to bowhunting, being in the outdoors, woodcraft, etc.  -- Sleeping bags, calls, knives, tents, backpacks, shirts, pants, shoes, boots, and the list goes on and on.  

Caleb, I would say the $1/hr is low.   It is just temporary and will pass.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
Yeah, I get a lot of good camping gear from the bargain cave, ya can't beat the prices in there!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
On average, setting foot in Cabelas runs me $100...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
or you finally figured out that anything purchased at cabelas at regular price can usually be found for at least 25% cheaper somewhere else.
AcsCX 1pc 66" 47@28 Bocote
Predator  60" 52@28 Leopard/Shedua
Super diablo 50@28 bubinga/purple
Predator Riser phenolic/maple - cant decide on limbs yet.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
I live 20 miles from one of the newest Cabela stores, each trip usually cost me a bundle.

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
We have a Cabelas here and more often than not I dont spend a dime. The bargain cave here is not a deal. I do take home food from the grill they have its always pretty good.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
I am a cabelas frequent buyer,but i also have not many time to spend to find something else.They carry a lot of good staff,but nothing interesting for traditional archery.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
The key to the bargin cave, if you have a Cabelas close to you, is to go often and getting lucky. Also some things in the cave the manager will reduce further if you ask.

I have found many a good deal, like the wool outfitters camo vest for $24 and Moltrie trail cams for $70 that are still working fine. I have two Glenn Dell buck targets that where 50% off just because an ear was broken off ... I glued it back on. I have a Cabelas dry bag that is 18 years old and been all over North America hunting and still keeps my gear dry ...

I like Cabelas, but they could save some $$ and not send me soooo many catalogs .... I have never had them say no to a return.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
aI used to buy most of my hunting clothes at Cabelas, but it seems to me siince they went on a rampage building a bunch of stores all over the country, their prices went up too much and they arent the good deal they once were.

Traditional archery? Forget it. Bunch of young kids pushing crossbows is all their archery dept amounts to anymore.

I tend to use thier catalogs- I find a product I'm interested in in thier catalog, then find it somewere else on the net cheaper.

All of the bog box hunting stores seem to have the same boring selection of hunting clothes, everythign you want as long as its either Realtree or MossyOak camo. I guess thats a result of the cable TV hunting shows.

I do however go to Cabelas for boots. They have the best selection, top quality, and I dont skimp when it comes to boots. I have a pretty good set of their Outfitters series wool, and some fleece for layering. I dug a little deeper and that stuff is quality clothing and has served me well.

As far as BP or Gander, dont care for either.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Every winter the guys take a 2 1/2 hour ride to the cabelas in pa. I usually need boots then and pick up a new pair. I'll usually pick up something else if they have it on sale. For me the clothing has been good quality and good price. I just love checking out all the animal mounts and the cabelas mountain just blows me away.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
We just had the one in Connecticut open up last year, and I find the same thing, I don't spend much.  I think I have too much crap too!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Troy Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
I have to drive a couple hours to get to a cabelas, so if Im making the drive Im going to spend some$$ I buy quite a bit from them online and love to wonder thru their stores when I can. I like bowhunting, ice fishing, fly fishing, camping, backpacking, bird hunting, guns ect. So I can ALWAYS find things I want their. And their close are some of the best out their.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©