3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is everybody reading?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline saywhat?

• Trad Bowhunter
What is everybody reading?
« on: February 01, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Every now and then I pack a book out to the stand or blind when I plan on a long hunt.  Recently, I have read Indian Creek Chronicles, Into Thin Air, Into the Wild and Man Eaters of Kumoan.  When reading, I can typically sit still longer.  The only times I fidget less is during my many cat naps out there.

Any suggestions for good outdoor/hunting non-fiction to help bide the time?

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is everybody reading?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
I don't take anything to the woods.  I find plenty to read there, in the brush...under the leaves, even on the underside of a dead log.  People write about their own experiences mostly, and I can read them after dark, in the house or cabin/tent.  The woods is trying to convey a good story...we just need to know how to read it.

Now....that is not what you asked, so I'll give you a few that I read when not in the woods 8^).  Archery: From Golds to Big Game....Keith Schuyler.
Forty Years of The Life of a Hunter...Meschak Browning.  The Good Samaritan Strikes Again...Patrick McManus.   I'm currently looking for some new material...lots out there, new and old.

Offline bozara

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
"Alaska's Wolf Man, the adventures of Frank Glazer" by Rearden.  Available on Amazon.com.  Great first hand account of 1915-55 in wild Alaska.
65# @ 27" Dale Dye one piece recurve
62# @ 27" Dale Dye TD recurve
58# @ 27" Dale Dye Medicine Point RC
65# Montana Bow Works long bow

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
If that's what you want to do, that's fine but I've never understood why a guy would sit on stand and get engrossed in a book.
I contend that you don't know how still you are sitting if you are reading, besides, there is so much to watch and listen too!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
If that's what you want to do, that's fine but I've never understood why a guy would sit on stand and get engrossed in a book.
I contend that you don't know how still you are sitting if you are reading, besides, there is so much to watch and listen too!
So how about all the texting you and Marty do? Does that count as reading?
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
I'm currently reading "Bows on the Little Delta", but in the woods, I like to read tracks, scrapes, rubs, and droppings.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
"Bucks and Bones". I just picked up a signed copy at Kzoo on Saturday and I am finding it difficult to put down. Great read, will read it again for sure! Thanks for the visit Gene   :)

Should of read ALL the post before replying    :scared:   . I was just so excited to share with everyone how much I am enjoying this great book!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
I am too darn busy filming and hunting!  I do carry a book, but dont sit long enough to pull it out!  I am much more of a successful hunter when I still hunt, but I have way much more fun when I spot and stalk, and I am determined to harvest a whitetail spot and stalk in the appalacians!  NO cell service except for the top of the mountains.  I know alot of guys that text while they are sitting in the woods.  And I dont have a problem with it I suppose, but I dont do it often.  While up on the ridge tops and I can manage to get a solid bar, I will text home and let mom know dad and I are alright!  But that is about it!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
O I forgot to say the current book, lol.  I am reading Fred G Ashbells book, "Stalking and still hunting"!
~Chris Shelton

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by metsastaja:

Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
So how about all the texting you and Marty do? Does that count as reading? [/b]
Boy do you have that all wrong. Marty's the one who does all the texting and you're the one who posts to TG. I turn my phone off in the stand.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Right now I'm reading the collected works of John Muir, however, like a lot of the other folks posting, I don't read while I'm out hunting... too much other stuff to pay attention to!
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline SMA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Once Apon A Tine.
By U Know Who.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Definitely, no offense intended; but, I've never read while hunting either. Could never chance missing George's perfectly described kaleidoscope of wonder.

Just finished, " Man made of Elk". PM for a summary if interested.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
lots of BS in this thread!! Anyone that claims to be reading tracks from a tree stand.....well I aint buyin it. "Reading" the woods should have been done before you poisitioned your stand of blind. maybe that's why some of ya aren't bringing home anything but memories???

I'm currently reading on of johnstones books. I really enjoy his charactors like preacher and smoke jensen
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
Hugs and kisses to you as well   :rolleyes:

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
bows of the Little Delta
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline MSwickard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
I'm reading two concurrently, Ghost Grizzly's and Arguing With Idiots.  However, I never take a book into the woods, expect for maybe in camp.

Mike

Offline saywhat?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
Easy fellas, keep it civil.  We all hunt a little differently.

Yes, from time to time I flip some pages.  Yes, I have been known to doze off out there and who knows what I miss then.  God only knows what gets spooked by my kids constantly asking questions and yelling "Look at that one Dad!"

I guess I am fortunate to spend as much time as I want out in the woods, sometimes hunting a little less harder than others.

Lots of good suggestions here.  Thanks!

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by NightHawk:
lots of BS in this thread!! Anyone that claims to be reading tracks from a tree stand.....well I aint buyin it. "Reading" the woods should have been done before you poisitioned your stand of blind. maybe that's why some of ya aren't bringing home anything but memories???
this is very much assumed, I dont think anyone that said they were reading tracks and sign said they were in a stand?  I know when I am off in the woods I am reading the book that nature has provided. I think you need to think outside the tiny 2 foot platform 14' up the tree!   :)
~Chris Shelton

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
I read a LOT in the woods.  Started carrying an ebook reader out there just so I could leave the page-turning at home!

Unfortunately, I have yet to find any hunting material in electronic format.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©