3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: K-ZOO SHOW EYE OPENER!!  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
K-ZOO SHOW EYE OPENER!!
« on: February 01, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
I went to the K-zoo show. I shot a LOT of bows. I've got to say I just don't see the value in the high price big name bows. Now I'm new to all this trad stuff, but I just couldn't see the difference between a plain jane $900 bow and a $450. Is there some reason for the high price that illudes me? Or is it just a name. Anyway just wondering what I'm missing.   :confused:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: K-ZOO SHOW EYE OPENER!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
I was given my first recurve, but my second recurve was bought, and it was only 200 dollars.  A 55# greatree deer master take down.  I have 5 traditional bows, including the martin hunter($489), some "antiques" and a u-finish bow.  And the greatree is still my favorite:)!  It has been my understanding that the reason some bows are so expensive is because of the woods contained in the bow.  My take down is only black walnut and maple.  No exotics, my hunter has some exotics in there.  SO I would be willing to bet that is why?  Just my theory!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
Buy a $450 bow then buy a $900 bow. You'll see the difference.
OR
Go buy all the equipment, spend a year learning how to build one, spend 60 hours making one then tell us what YOU would charge.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
The word Custom usually implies CUSTOMER. That being said, the customer has a say in how his or her bow is going to look with the choice of different options.

Wood type accent stripe, tips, core the list goes on. You can keep it as simple as you want or go with all the bells & whistles. When it comes down to it. It's up to YOU >------->
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
I used to think the same way until I got my first custom bow built to my exact specifications. The bow feels more like an extension of your arm rather than feeling like your just holding a bow.

I have a few good friends who are bowyers and the talent it takes to turn a piece of wood into a beautiful and efficient hunting tool is amazing!! My hats off to the builders who are still doing it "one at a time" all by hand with no CNC machines.

It goes far beyond just getting a general shape that flings an arrow. Tillering limbs based upon your shooting style, hitting the desired draw weights, shaping the bow for maximum performance all requires much skill and effort. Not to mention buying a product that will get personal attention should something go wrong.

Lastly, I really feel it is important to buy from our local small business owners. They are like you and me, trying to make a living in this great country during times that are tough.  Supporting the local economy is going to make our country better in the long run.   :thumbsup:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline kevin braun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
My answer is a question of comparison.  What's worth more a manufactured home or a custom built home of equal size?  Same principal.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
I know special wood costs more. Just saying I couldn't find much difference in bows that were similar style...60" 50# r/d longbow nothing special woods. One costs $900 the other costs $500 or so. Neither was made custom for me. Just a bow off the rack.Both looked great. Nice finish, nice sanding, darn good looking bow, well constructed..etc.  I'm not naming names or anything just wondering what in general makes the price go up so much higher. I know the old saying "You get what you pay for" but sometimes you do pay for a name.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
truthfully? There is no difference. I've built a few bows and have owned some "custom" bows and a few off the shelf bows. Many times the production bow shoots as well as a custom bow.Find what you  enjoy shooting well and have fun.
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
They are all worth what the bowyer charges.  That being said I have had some 1000.00 bows that I did not feel were worth it and I have had some 500.00 bows that I felt like they were worth alot more.  The price doesn't make the bow good or bad.  What you have to do is shoot em all before you look at the price and then decide.  I have had quite a few bows and the best have been in the 500 600 dollar range. What someone else considers the holy grail may be a dog to you.  Value isn't summed up in price. Ymmv.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
I have owned several bows. At the moment I own 2 tomahawk takedown bows and 2 custom bows from not so well known manufactures  cactus cal and Shane Hyme and a really inexpensive production bow. I shot the manufactured bow all last summer. And I shoot my Shane Hyme non stop since I got it back from refinishing. I would never give up the bow that I only paid $550 for. It shoots just as good as my tomahawks if not better. And in all honesty my production bow that only cost $125 shoots pretty good. It does have some hand shock but it is also a 68" almost flat bow. So in the end it just comes down to what you like. So try em all and pick the one that fits you best. So just shoot until you find a manufactuer that fits your style.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
The little details in a bow end up making a big difference in the total cost.  As an example, one bow might be built with red elm limbs.  Another might have bamboo cores with red elm veneers.  At first glance they might look very similar, but there will be a difference in how they shoot.  Did you notice the overlays on the front and the back of the riser?  How about the tips?  Glue lines?  Subtle curves in the riser, detailed shaping of the grip, two wood combos, etc., etc.  What kind of finish is on the bow and how will it hold up over time?  Just the finish itself can run over $100 per gallon.  And it is hard on spray guns that have to be replaced constantly.  

Then throw in the details of design that can't really be noticed without shooting.  Smoothness of draw, speed, and pointability are all functions of well thought out and tested designs that take much time and effort to develop.

Until you have shot a number of bows for extended periods it may very well be difficult to see much difference in some of the details.  But they are definitely there, and most bowyers are grossly underpaid for the quality of work they produce.  In the end, add it all up and buy what makes you happy!  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
I paid Steve Turay of Northern Mist $500.00 for my custom, made for me, Baraga Longbow.  The materials, colors, draw weight, etc were picked out by me.  

It is by far the smoothest bow I have ever shot.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
Ahhh... I got ya.   ;)   I thought you were referring to why customs cost more than a factory bow.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
One other aspect is, Kzoo is a great place to get the initial "feel" of a bow (eg. grip, smoothness and other basics). BUT at 10 paces, every bow seems fast and will hit where you look with a reasonably close arrow.

Eric

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Now I'm new to all this trad stuff, but I just couldn't see the difference between a plain jane $900 bow and a $450. Is there some reason for the high price that illudes me?
I tend to agree with you. I cannot tell the difference performance wise in most cases and I wonder how many of us would know the difference in a blind trial.

Does the name have something to do with it? Definitely. BUT, a bowyer had to have a great product to establish that name/reputation.

Its like buying a painting. There are amazing painters whose paintings are worth nothing. You can pick them up at craft shows. Then there are established painters who have galleries for their work and charge thousands. Both are functionally the same, they fill up space in your house and tie the room together. There is intangible quality that comes with owning that famous painter's work.

I could never justify buying a $900 bow. However, seeing some of these bows at the show made me realize their worth, especially when you meet the man that made it. I could just see the hours that went into some of these bows to make them as perfect as possible.

There is a lot of pride that comes with that, and that pride carries over from bowyer to customer.

I guess my point is that, functionally you do not always get more for the money. But there ARE other things people are willing to pay for.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
A person new to trad who only shot one or two bows will most likley not be able to tell the difference. I made the same comment a few years back but now I will have to say I can tell more than I did and shooting a bow at 7 yards is hardly a fair test.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
It's funny....Denny Strugis and I were talking yesterday about how different the osage longbow "feels" than the other exotic woods. More snap in it. I guess you just have to have a feel for it, or be conscious of the differences.

The most important part is that your arrow its the mark. I'm sure alot of the extra costs are, as Whip and others said, the "options" we choose.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
Most of these bowyers are "artists" and the beauty of the work is what you pay for - I'm sure there are 700 dollars bows which shoot as well as a 1500 dollar bow but they don't look the same. Some people don't buy exspensive art for their homes as well and are happy with a beer sign - to each his own. I do not own a bow over 600 bucks, that's just me, if I win the lottery, maybe I'll think about it some more.

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
John, I felt the same way a couple of years ago, but now that I have shot and owned a dozen or more different custom bows.
I now know that is not true. Some of what your are paying for is craftmanship and the special woods, but the design and construction of a truely custom bow is well worth the money spent.....IMO
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
The little details in a bow end up making a big difference in the total cost.  As an example, one bow might be built with red elm limbs.  Another might have bamboo cores with red elm veneers.  At first glance they might look very similar, but there will be a difference in how they shoot.  Did you notice the overlays on the front and the back of the riser?  How about the tips?  Glue lines?  Subtle curves in the riser, detailed shaping of the grip, two wood combos, etc., etc.  What kind of finish is on the bow and how will it hold up over time?  Just the finish itself can run over $100 per gallon.  And it is hard on spray guns that have to be replaced constantly.  

Then throw in the details of design that can't really be noticed without shooting.  Smoothness of draw, speed, and pointability are all functions of well thought out and tested designs that take much time and effort to develop.

Until you have shot a number of bows for extended periods it may very well be difficult to see much difference in some of the details.  But they are definitely there, and most bowyers are grossly underpaid for the quality of work they produce.  In the end, add it all up and buy what makes you happy!   :thumbsup:  
Well said Joe!  I think the answer is in the details!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©