3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "PERFECT" BOW WEIGHT?  (Read 984 times)

Offline TIMP

• Trad Bowhunter
"PERFECT" BOW WEIGHT?
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
I know that this is extremely subjective but what do you guys think is the "perfect" weight for most North American game animals - If you had to have one bow what would its draw weight be?
Always remember the healing power of music, laughter, and the outdoors.

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "PERFECT" BOW WEIGHT?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 07:37:00 AM »
44 is perfect for me right now but if you wanted to be able to hunt all game, legally,  in all areas of NA it would likely be 50#
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline davesonic444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
I would have to agree 50# to be legal in most of North America

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
60#
Not underkill, not overkill, but absolutley enough for everything on the Continent.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
Whats perfect for one is different what would be perfect for another.Thats a tough question to answer.

Offline TIMP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by JRY309:
Whats perfect for one is different what would be perfect for another.Thats a tough question to answer.
Completely agree. I knew when I asked there was no good answer.

I figured most would say about 50# because of laws. But what if there were no state game weight restrictions?

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
45 to 80 - depending entirely on the bow, the hunters actual draw length and their ability to shoot that bow accurately.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »
The old rule of thumb is for the maximum draw weight you are confortable with.What can work for a Deer can be border line for an Elk and not adeguate for a Moose or a Grizzly bear.If you can have just one bow I guess 55# is enough.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline TIMP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by SteveB:
45 to 80 - depending entirely on the bow, the hunters actual draw length and their ability to shoot that bow accurately.
Well that narrows it down.  :)

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
50 would be my choice as well.Nothing to do with restrictions I just think I could kill everything with 50lbs easy enough.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
yeppers, highly subjective topic that's almost meaningless.  this sure sounds like a 'cabin fever' topic.  where's the dang spring so we can all git out and play?   :D  

i think lots depends on the archer/hunter, as well as his/her holding bow weight.  it's all an experiment of one.

modern stick bows have come a loooong way since the middle end of the last millennium - far more efficient engines than ever created,

what's gonna matter most are the hunting bow weight laws at the venue you hunt, and the most holding weight you can truly master under hunt conditions.  might humble some folks, but it is what it is.

hunt with the most holding weight you can master.  and know the true efficiency limits of yer stick bow - they all ain't alike.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline TIMP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
yeppers, highly subjective topic that's almost meaningless.  this sure sounds like a 'cabin fever' topic.  where's the dang spring so we can all git out and play?    :D    

hunt with the most holding weight you can master.  and know the true efficiency limits of yer stick bow - they all ain't alike.
or an I am bored at work subject.  :D

Offline JPE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
my personal feeling is the one that you can shoot most comfortably and consistantly, and of course for hunting situations   ethicly.       Jim Pyles

Offline TIMP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
I have what I have called the "Tony slam". Silly I know. But this is the list I would like to hunt (not necessarily kill) but hunt before I die-

whitetail
mule deer
elk
black bear
hog
turkey
caribou

I am hoping that 47# will be enough, with properly placed shots, for all of these.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
I think 50/55 would include the majority of bowhunters.Off course a large percentage shoot lower and heavier so a best wgt. is hard to call.

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »

It seems the consensus is 50#/ that makes me quite happy because all I can handle is my 52 pounders. I don't have any desire to chase grizz.
  Larry

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
It depends, when I was younger, 65-70# seemed about right. As I age though, it seems that perfect weight gets a little lighter. Now I'm thinkin 50-55 is about right!!

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
I'm with Ceb- 70-80# when i was younger.57-60# now, next year Joe at Prairie Traditions may have a bunch of work to reduce all my bows!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
It's been said above,what you can shoot comfortably all day with confidance. Some states the law may have some say, but go with what you can handle well! If that happens to be 72#, God bless you, if it's 48# so be it!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
You may as well stay home as hunt with a bow you can't handle accurately.  I know we throw bow weights around like they really mean something.  Of course they do if that weight is used to best advantage.

A 45 pound bow drawn to 29" with a dynamic release, will be a better than a 60 pound bow that is pulled to 26".   Subjective is an understatement.

If I could pick one weight to hunt everything in North American, it would be right around 50 pound, and maximized for best performance per pound.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©