3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell my about deer decoys????  (Read 330 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell my about deer decoys????
« on: February 02, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
Have you guys used the bedded doe decoys with success? I am hunting a small area. Can they be used year round? Any cons? Thanks.   BILL

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell my about deer decoys????
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
I tried one couple years ago during the rut had doe with dandy buck trailing her, she spotted the decoy started stomping and blew out of there taking the buck with her,I traded it to a friend he never had any luck with it,
Independent Bow Hunter

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
There's a good article in the current issue of TBM  with a guy who hunts from the ground and uses a decoy.He positions the decoy to draw the deer's attention away so he can draw undetected.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
I've used a Carry-Lite full body deke for a couple years. It's not really that Lite, and kinda noisy too, but once set up it's fine. I've had does stomp and snort and stare at it for 20 mins. I've had bucks do a doubletake, first curious, then real quick not interested. The same day as the buck, I had a young doe sniff the deke, then feed within feet of it. Every deer seems to have a different response. Which makes the day quite interesting. The shots present themselves though, some for just a second, others you can take all the time you need. Fun stuff.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
I dont know what type of land you are hunting(public or private) but if I would definatly NOT use a decoy on any inch of Maryland public land!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
i have had very good luck with doe decoys on bucks does on the other hand absoulutly hate them as soon as they spot the decoy the are on high alert and stomping.  First time i ever used a decoy had a 150" ten point come right in so im kind of found of them myself

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
I have not used a deer decoy but every year Wingnut of Dryad bows gets one of his 3D targets beat up during the night.  ya can see the tine marks on it.  I would like to see the fight  :) .  he has set up a trail cam.  the boyz that are coming by at night would be worth the effort.  pretty good looking deer.  

rusty

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
havent used one much,  I always set mine upwind.  It seems like if a deer is interested they tend to swing downwind, duh. LOL

They do seem to be more effective on smaller bucks but hope to increase my experience beginning in September. LOL

Caleb
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
The game warden sets one up here and there near the road and catches people shooting it. (It is illegal here to shoot from the road...) So they work well for him.

Offline brushcreek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
I have had bucks attack my 3-d targets every year,broke one's leg one year.This year my wife called me to the back window ,there was a spike trying to mount one of the targets,tried over a dozen times,we laughed.Afew days later when I went out to shoot,I discovered blood on both sides of the targets tail.poor spike
all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
it depends on your doe to buck ratio, hunting pressure, time of year, many things. they can be beneficial when used correctly, but for the average joe there are many ways to bag deer other than using a decoy. my 2 cents  ;)
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the boy as he grew up in the wilderness. He became a skillful archer

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
One year a buddy who hunted behind our house, sprayed the south end of my 3-D target with doe-in-heat scent.

The next morning the target was laying on its side on the ground, with an ear broken off.

Me thinks that young buck will never loose that memory!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Shortly after the foam 3d targets became popular; there was a rash of destruction by the anti-hunters; who would find the targets and come in at night and rip them all apart.
 There were articles in the newspaper and in hunting magazines.

Then came the day the REAL culprits were discovered  LOL !

Agh the old days !
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Well, you're asking specifically about bedded doe decoys and I've not used them at all but I have used the Montana 2d decoys and I've been impressed with the results.

A couple comments.  From what I've heard, doe decoys in general do not work as well as buck decoys.  If you are hunting real big bucks, a good decoy with a good size rack works well.  If you hunt where bucks run mostly small to average and are just after any old buck, a smaller racked decoy is better.  The rack on my Montana is pretty good sized and I've had it spook 1 1/2 year old bucks.  Several guys on here have said that they stick wooden clothespins on the Montana doe decoy to turn it into a spike buck and had real good luck.

My best experience with my decoy was this year when I was hunting a very tiny tree in an edge area with the decoy about 9 yards away.  About sunset a medium sized 7 or 8 point buck showed up about 70 yards to my right.  He was working my way but looked like he would pass behind my tree instead of in front of it.  At about 40 yards he spotted the buck decoy and perked up a bit.  Stared for a second and changed course towards the path I needed him on.  At about 30 yards I turned slightly in my stand and got picked off.  Arrgh!!  Then the decoy came back into play...  This bucked looked up at me, stared, head bobbed etc.  I leaned towards the tiny 6" trunk and squinted my eyes.  He stared, I stayed still.  He stared some more but then, he looked back towards the decoy just a few yards from my tree and I could just see the tension go out of him.  It was pretty amazing and totally obvious that he sort of shrugged and thought "hmmm, must be okay" then continued walking.  At about 20 yards he did almost the same thing and again he looked back at the decoy and relaxed.  He came in to the decoy and gave me a perfect shot opportunity which I promptly screwed up.

This was on public land too.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Never did a bedded doe But did a standing doe once.once and never again
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
Oh yea, the Montana's look pretty darned real too.

I've thought about setting mine up without using the does legs so she would appear to be bedded and then have the buck standing "guard" nearby.  I've not done it yet though.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
A picture is worth a thousand words.
       Larry

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
I have a bedded doe decoy and I would not use it again for trying to "attract" deer. Deer see it, from near and far away, and in my experience anyway they don't like it one bit.

I will say I have used both the bedded doe and the 2D flat decoys as a "scarecrow" type of thing to push deer away from one area and towards me. I put them out in a pasture and if the deer come out there (away from me in the timber)they see it and head back into the timber. They work great for that! Killed several deer this way and is a go-to tactic for me later in the season.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline mountainman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Used one this year to draw att away from my son and I we were hunting a ground blind it worked very well we had 5 does come in about 10yards I had the decoy out about 20yrds in front the deer came to our right they were a little jumpy until they saw the decoy it is one of the 2d 8point decoy I will use it next yr

Offline mountainman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
Used one this year to draw att away from my son and I we were hunting a ground blind it worked very well we had 5 does come in about 10yards I had the decoy out about 20yrds in front the deer came to our right they were a little jumpy until they saw the decoy it is one of the 2d 8point decoy I will use it next yr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©