3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I am a happy FOC camper!  (Read 447 times)

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
I am a happy FOC camper!
« on: February 02, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Well I decided to up the weight of my arrows and increase my FOC.  I was shooting Beeman ICS Bowhunter shafts at a total grain weight of 347.2 before, with 7 gpp.  My foc was 13.64%  

And today I received my brass inserts.  I went 100 grains and man are they sweet!!!  So now I am shooting 447.2 grains, which is 8.64 gpp(still a bit shy), and my FOC is 18.64%, and the best news is that my flight is almost identical, just a wee bit slower, and about a inch or so low out to 30 yards.  Which in the feild I rarely take shots beyond 25 yards.  So during the summer I will play with bh weight, and have a arrow above both the 9 gpp and 19% FOC threshold!!!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I am a happy FOC camper!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
Sounds like you have a winner!
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
wack'em and stackem

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
I just setup a new 200 grain LW Grizzly that I got from K-zoo with 100 grain steel BH adapter, 100 grain brass arrow insert in a CX 300 for an EFoC of 28% and total arrow weight of 688 grains.  Awesome!  I love this stuff!  I just shot this arrow in my driveway at 20 yds. with my 54# longbow....perfect arrow flight, super quiet, pin-point accuracy.  What more could you ask for?  A penetrator setup w/o a doubt.  I shot two P&Y class bucks with this bow and a similar setup here in Wisconsin this season with excellent results; both pass through exits, heavy and short blood trails. I will never hunt with any other kind of arrow.  I've been using this specific setup ever since Ashby came out with his reports a couple years back.  Yes, a lot of different arrow setups will pass through a white-tail no problem, been there done that as well.  This takes it to the next level...rhino anyone? LOL

Regards –

Kris

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
cool Kris, that sounds awesome, Doc is definatly the one that convinced me to try it!
~Chris Shelton

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Chris,

I would encourage you to keep running with it, see what you can get away with i.e. increased arrow weight, FOC & EFoC, bare shaft tuning, high MA broadheads, honed BH's, et al...it’s a blast if you love to tinker and experiment!

Good luck -

Kris

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Chris whats your set up that you are shooting? Just curious.Sounds like a good set up! thanks Jeff.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
I shoot a Greatree Deer Master take down 55# 28", 60" total.  Beeman ICS bowhunter shafts, 400 spine 8.4 gpi.  

Kris I am definatly going to tinker, need something to keep me shooting all summer, between perfecting my arrow system, IBO, and school, I will be a busy bee!
~Chris Shelton

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
I've never hunted with a shaft under 500 grains so i was curious how EFOC shafts would perform. I used a Gold Tip 55/75 shafts cut to 28" with a 50gr brass insert and 200gr phantom broadhead total weight 532gr on a hog hunt I just went on. I shot a 130lb boar and wentthrough both shields with the arrow sticking out the other side about 4 to 6"s. I shot two big sows with complete pass thorough with the arrow sticking in the dirt and another buried up to the fletch. I was very impressed with the increased penetration with the EFOC shafts.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :)
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline speedwalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
This year I'm shooting full length 75/95's w/ 140gr Steelforce Sabertooth's w/100grs steel broadhead adaptors.  Total weight is exactly 600gr.  I'm shooting them out of my 56lb Border Black Douglas.  This year hit the leg bone just below the joint and broke through the bone.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
That is awesome, I am not to the EFOC level yet, but you guys are sure tryin to get me there!
~Chris Shelton

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
I didnt know they made steel inserts?  Where do you get them???
~Chris Shelton

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
Chris,

I initially misspoke when I said "steel inserts", sorry.  I have since edited that post.

Here's a tip on adapters though:  I turn my steel adapters down to the exact size they need to be per a specific ferrule.  Grizzly ferrules are about the smallest of all the traditional heads.  The steel adapters usually will not fit into the Grizzly’s completely.  I invert my high speed drill in my work bench vise and tighten the steel adapters directly into the chuck with the tapered end exposed.  I then set the speed of the drill and run a mill bastard file over the insert to reduce it in diameter.  Please wear safety goggles.  What you get is a steel adapter that fits just flush with the rear of the broadhead and aligns itself perfectly!  I can send pics if you are interested.

Regards –

Kris

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Kris, I believe what you are talking about are steel adapters....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
yup adapters, they should make steel inserts!
~Chris Shelton

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Guru,

You are correct, thank you.  I misspoke initially and said "steel arrow inserts"  when I meant to say "steel BH adapters".  

Chris,

I have never seen steel arrow inserts.  The brass inserts aren’t bad though.  I've have only ever had one brass insert bend slightly and that was under an extreme situation.

Kris

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
hey chris, how long is your arrow? im shooting the same poundage, and have some of those arrows might try to fixem up....

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
I have mine cut to 29.5, But I think I can go 29?  I need to make a draw length arrow, because you cant really get a acurate draw length reading using a tape measure.  To me it is worth it, if you buy brass everytime, I got mine for 12 dollars, that would be about 60 bucks for a dozen arrows, that is still pretty cheap!
~Chris Shelton

Offline Hoser1268

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I always used wood but just started using 2016 legacy arrows cut at 28". With 250 grs up front I have an arrow that weighs 595grs and a foc of 20%.  I'm shooting 44# of my 54" Rocky Mt. Recurve. Man that arrow thumps.
54" Morrison Cheyenne Longbow 42@26
54" Morrison Cheyenne Recurve 46@26
54" Rocky Mt. Recurve  52@28
50" Sierra Blanca Recurve 44@26
52" Sierra Blanca Recurve 50@26

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©