3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Fever  (Read 1517 times)

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey Fever
« on: February 02, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Well it is February and that means March is right around the corner and every turkey hunter knows March is when Tom T. Turkey starts gobbling his head off in anticipation of meeting new girlfriends and doing the deed of procreating to keep his race alive. So with that thought in mind lets see some pic and here some stories from past seasons to help me make it through till the warmth of spring brings the distant music of the turkey gobble!   :)  
Here is my first bow killed turkey from last season  
One that got away

A bearded hen with the longest beard I have ever saw on one.

"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Fever
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
Nice pictures Scott & nice bird....It doesn't open here till April 17th...I don't like wishing for time to go quickly but "I can't wait to get after em"...
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
I think we open on April 19 but Nebraska opens on March 27 and Kansas is April 1 for bows and I may just have to go scratch this itch I'm getting!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
We don't open until April 10. Will be my first year after a trad turkey. With a no deer year behind me, I'm ready for gobbling.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
You guys got it easy, we have to wait all the way until May 1st here in New York.  Shot this guy last year at 15 yards after watching him walk in full strut across a 500yard long field.  Man talk about gobbler fever, was shaking so hard thought my arrow was going to fall off the self.  I've shot a lot of turkeys with the gun but this was my first with the bow and I am planning on trying to repeat it this year without the ad of the double bull blind.  Going to be hard...
"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
Nothing yet for me.  This will be my 4th year with longbow. I really want those feathers from my 1st trad killed turkey for a couple of arrows I have planned for the upcoming deer season.  Congrats you guys on your trophys.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
I am looking forward to it. Got my first bird with trad bow, fall 2008, and 2009, got all 4 fall birds with a recurve, 2 during archery, 2 during shotgun season. Made my fall season!
samuel koger

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
I was close this last fall, and I got a good season about this spring, gotta wait untill the end of may!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Yup, us Yorkers have to wait till May. I took a good gobbler last year with my recurve.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Hogcoots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
We open in March here in Georgia.  I have already done a little pre-season scouting just to get out of the house.  I have located one group of gobblers that I am keeping tabs on.  This will be the first year of chasing them with a recurve.  I hope that I can hit one.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Late april here but I can't wait till they start hammering.
 Hope to get my first trad gear gobbler this spring.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
Hopefully, my new lefty Robertson longbow will make it by turkey season.  If I only ever hunted where there were fall turkeys, the only deer I would shoot were the ones that got between me and the turkeys I was after.  Can't wait, I am sooo sick of this deep snow.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
I'm another mo guy we got to wait until the 19th of april. I took my first trad turkey this year during the last week of the season. Got her with a longbow. I'll be after em nesr the ozarks. Got a great spot near the state park.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
I can hear it already!  Plan on being in Nebraska the last week of April.  Also got an IL permit for Mother's day weekend.  What better way to celebrate the weekend then get my son out of momma's hair for a night and day!  Well, that's how I sell it to her anyway!  Got my first hybrid last year with my recurve.  Hopefully another one this year along with an Eastern.  Good luck to all.

-Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
i live smack dad in the middle of the best turkey county in
MN but in Mn the designated bow season isnt till the end of May After 6 full weeks of gun season so you can bet your best box call I'll be in Neb or Kan in early April. Here is my 24 lb tom from Iowa last April  
Make a life, not a living

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Nice bird Jim!

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
I shot this bearded hen on 1/13/10 near the end of our fall season:

I got this Tom last spring:

I can't wait for March 20th to get here to go after them again!

Bisch

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Great picks guys, Congrats!!  :knothead:  

Keep em coming  :D  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 01:44:00 AM »
Nice pictures guys, I'd like to see more.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 01:58:00 AM »
I would love to post some pictures of dead turkeys, but they were all with a compound.

I am still working on my first trad bird.

Gonna try the Bull Head this year.

Good luck to all.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©