3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who's interested in a wilderness elk hunt?  (Read 963 times)

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
Who's interested in a wilderness elk hunt?
« on: February 02, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Ok, Here's the deal.  I would like to share camp with some other tradgangers this year if possible.  What I would like to do is backpack into a wilderness area and set up a camp to share.  I have only scouted this area on a map so I have no idea how good the hunting will be there.  In 2008, there was 9% success for archery so there probably won't be elk around every tree, but there will be plenty of elbow room (lots and lots of trail-less acres).  You have to apply (by the first of April) for this area but the last two years only about 1/4 of the tags available were applied for so everyone who puts in should draw an either-sex tag without needing preference points.  I would set up the hunt for the last 2 weeks of the season but of-course, a feller could hunt there the entire season (8/28-9/26)if you want.  I have backpacked quite a bit close to this area and the views are incredible and fishing has been good.  Camp would probably be set up at about 10,000 ft. This is NOT a guided hunt.  Everyone would be hunting on their own or could pair up if you wanted.  I prefer to be on my own when I hunt, but also like to return to camp and have some company.  You would be responsible for your own food and your own gear (tent, sleeping bag, etc.).  If someone in the group gets an elk down, we would pitch in to help get it out to the trailhead.  I do not want horses staying in camp (because of a bad experience hunting with a horse in the past-more time chasing the horse than chasing elk), but if someone wants to use a horse after the elk is down, that would be OK.  I usually just cut it up and pack it out (usually 4 trips with a 50-60# pack and 5 trips if packing out a cape/antlers) with a frame pack.  If you always wanted to do a DIY elk hunt but not sure how, this might be a good opportunity for you.  I think I will limit this to less than 10 guys, so let me know here if you are for sure interested.  Ask questions here and I'll answer so everyone can read the answers.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's interested in a wilderness elk hunt?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
sounds like a blast but I am all ready committed for Wyoming this year. If this is a success and you do it again, let me know
Make a life, not a living

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
That sounds awesome! Colorado is one of my most desired destinations, in fact I would move there if given the chance. Unfortunately right now is a bad time.
 Be sure to take lots of pics!   :)
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
What would the license and permit cost an out of state hunter?

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
I would like to go but can probably only do one week.  How far back in?

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
PM'd you Doug.

Wayne
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
I would like to try a diy elk but would not be able to do this year.
Keep us posted and I will try to make next year if you do it again.
Thanks for offering this great opprotunity.

Tim

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I might be interested in doing this hunt. What areas are you looking at?  I bet you that we have some fellow Tradgangers that are familar with this area and may be able to shed some light on how suitable it is to plan a hunt there.

I might also have another tradgang friend from here in Central AR that would probably be game as well. (If he can stay away from the Twinkies and get himself in shape for a CO Elk Hunt??).

As Brian says how far in and I'd likr to also inquire as to how far from a meat locker or nearest town?

Brian, if you go, we could maybe even ride out together as Benton is about 4 hours from Tulsa?

I spent $4K+ a couple of years ago on a guided hunt in CO and never even pulled the string back.  But last year I hunted with a few OR Tradgangers on a DIY.  First day out I got a nice little bull.  Now I frown on deer steaks, ELK is so delicious!

I guess I'm kinda a DIY guy now.  Nice to have some control over your own hunting destiny and tempo.  I also have a few other hunts scheduled and want to keep myself within my budget and not p-o my wifey too much.  

:campfire:
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
if it was next year i would be on it
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
Doug, WOW what a great offer ! Alot of people think they have to spend $1000's for a guided hunt to have any luck. I have been to Colorado twice on my own and saw elk both trips and took a bull. I have seven points built up now so I'm looking at options soon ! This is a great offer and very tempting.

Bob
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
Hope you got my PM Doug. I'm definitely interested.

Wayne
WVBA Member

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Ya caught my attention for sure! I have a lot of irons in the fire at the moment, and possibly couldnt commit until I know more...I guess Im a "maybe".
Whether or not I can manage it, it is a fine offer you are making. I hope it all works out for the best and memories and meat are made.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
Doug;
I am interested in this hunt.
I have gone on 2 unguided elk hunts in Wyoming.  Me and one other TN boy.  Huntin elk like they was whitetail.  I ended up with a shot but did not connect.
I guess the first question is what area is this so's I can put in for the draw.
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
1) Which GMU should we apply for? What area?
2) How far do we hike in?
3) How far to nearest town? Meat processor?
4) License cost for non-resident?
5) Any additional fees? (permits, req. stamps)
6) What would be the limit on number of hunters?

That seems to summarize the questions asked so far.

Thanks!
Wayne
WVBA Member

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 01:36:00 AM »
OK, let's see:
1. The GMU is #7 for the Rawah Wilderness area.  This tag allows you to hunt in 5 different GMUs in northern Colorado but the wilderness area is in unit 7.  The reason I picked this area is because it's really pretty there and there's lots of land for folks to find their own honey hole.  I do want to make it clear that I will just be scouting it this year and hopefully can get over there to scout/take pictures through the summer.  It may take some time to figure the elk out there so if you want a guaranteed shot at an elk, this is not the trip for you.  But, if adventure and connecting with other tradgangers is what you're hunting, this could be it.
2. My initial thought is to set up camp 5 miles in and then if someone finds a spot that looks better to camp/hunt out of, they can bivy but still have the main camp to come back to for fellowship and story swapping.
3. The nearest town is Laramie Wyo. I'm not sure if Wyoming has a carcass restriction for transport of meat from a "Chronic Wasting" unit (which unit 7 is) so Fort Collins, Co. might be the best place to take meat for processing.  It's about a 2 hour drive from the trailhead to Ft. Collins which has several meat processors.  I don't know anything about shipping meat so I'll let you guys do your own research on that.
4. Non-resident elk licenses cost $549 and is either-sex. Cows or calves are legal. Bulls in this unit must be a 4 point or better or a brow tine of at least 5".  Deer are $329.  Bear is $254. Small game is $56.  Deer and elk tags would need to be applied for in early April. Bear is over-the-counter with caps and go on sale sometime in July (and they sold out fairly quickly for this area last year).  Small game is over the counter (buy it at any license agent in Colorado).
5. Colorado has no additional license fees to hunt big game but they do require a hunter's education certificate so get that if you don't have it yet.  Other state's certificates are fine and either the firearms hunter's ed. or the bowhunter's ed. will work for an archery tag.
6.  I would like to stick with no more than about 10 hunters in camp @ one time, but I can be flexible since it seems like people's schedules will probably allow them to hunt at different times and some will not be able to hunt for 2 weeks.  I'm hoping this will be a great hunt in the spirit of the Fred Bear/Glenn St. Charles Little Delta Hunts.
If you know you want to do this, PM me and I'll keep a list based on who responds first and then make a reserve list in case someone backs out.  Even if you PMed me already, do it again if you are a "for sure put me on the list", just so I make sure and get everyone on that wants to be on.  Thanks.  Doug

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
Once I get the group all figured out, I will get everyone's e-mail address and send additional information about applying for licenses and other details, but if you have another question not already covered, feel free to ask here too.

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Doug,
any chance of shipping gear out and getting picked up in Denver?

Offline Str8Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
I took my first elk in this unit back in the 70's when I attended CSU in Fort Collins. It really is some great scenery and the hunting is good also. I still go back frequently, but I'm now hunting a unit that requires preference points and has older elk on average.

I've done many of these DIY hunts and they are great, but one word of caution. If you're going to set up base camp 5 miles back at that altitude, I think it's imperative that you only take guys in great shape and are known not to have a problem with altitude. The thing that has wrecked more of my hunts in a similar circumstance has been guys unprepared for the physical demands of the hunt. We've had to take more than one guy to a hospital because they got sick as a dog - usually from altitude. We've also had guys pull muscles, be unable to pack out their elk and many other pain-in-the-butt problems. Anyone of these problems usually ruins at least one day of hunting for someone who has to help them out. And there are precious few hunting days on a trip like this.  We are now very particular about who goes on our hunts. There are many guys who want to do this type of hunt and don't realize they're not capable. We now screen them, making sure they at least appear to be able to handle the hunt.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
Matt, no, you would be on your own on that stuff.  I will be hunting.
Str8Arrow, Yep, I'm planning on just lettin' 'em die back there if they can't get out on their own...just kidding.  Seriously though, he's right.  If your thinking about this trip, Get in shape and then get in better shape.  If you're over-weight, here's your motivation to loose that weight.  If you are over-weight and out of shape by Sept, you can hunt elk, but you shouldn't try THIS hunt.  You will need to hunt lower and easier country.  Drink a ton of water, eat high energy snacks (while here) and if possible, get out here a few days early and stay at about 5,000 ft. for a few days if you are from a low altitude.  It usually takes about 3-4 days to get your body used to the altitude.  Being in shape will help with the hiking, but won't help with the altitude.  More on that later.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
OK, the list looks like this:

Michael Pfander- Arizona
Brian Blair- Oklahoma
Scott Carpenter and Barry Buckley- Arkansas
Phil Floyd- Tennessee

Looks like a good mix so far.  Should be fun.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©