3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sears flicker by bear  (Read 206 times)

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
sears flicker by bear
« on: February 02, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
I have a Sears Flicker that I got as a kid, and I want to get it up and running again. I want to loan it to a friend here as a starter bow. It is 60"AMO 45#@28. I guess you call it a RD longbow...whatever. It killed a few rabbits, carp, and groundhogs in its day, and could go on to do more, no doubt.
I got a new B50 string on it, and just started playing around with brace height at 7 1/2 to 8". Can't remember if I knew any particular brace height as a kid, just had fun.
Who else has one of these, and how have you set yours up, what arrows you are shooting, etc.? I was using some 2016s with 100grn inserts that I had already.
I also have the Bear tape on bow quiver that came with it, might see if I can redo the foam and fix it up too.
It feels like a bit of hand shock to me so far, but maybe I am being too critical comparing it to other more expensive and heavier bows. Have not put any silencers on yet, maybe that will change things a little?
It does shoot where I point it...always did.
Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Walt

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: sears flicker by bear
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
I have two of them, haven't shot them in far too long. Oops, I have one, I gave the other one to my husband.

It sounds like you are in the ball park for brace height. What is your draw length? Mine is fairly short, and I would use 1816 for me. A 28" draw I would think 1916, but your 2016 with a 100 grain insert, and 145 grain head might do well. Heavy arrows may help with the hand shock, as well as playing with brace height.

They were called "long curves" in their day, and now we say RD longbow.
"There's nothing new except what has been forgotten."~ Chris Squire

Killdeer   :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
I had one, and only let it get away a couple years ago.  By that time I had switched to carbon arrows.  I was shooting Goldtip .600's with a 145 grain tip.  It shot very well.  Darn... I shouldn't have let it get away.  :^(

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
Killdeer, my draw is 28". I don't know what my friend draws. (He says he got a merit badge in archery in the scouts 30+ years ago, so I hope he can teach me something.) I will have to see if he can use my 29 1/2" arrows...
I just shot it some more and fiddled with the brace height, wound up leaving it at 7 3/4. I also replaced the worn out leather rest and plate with some velcro fuzz over a narrow leather strip, and set the nock point. I made some big fuzzy yarn silencers for the new string.
This is a fun project, fixing up something from my childhood. She's looking good.
Thanks to both of you for the advice about increasing the tip weight, I can do that easy enough with my test kit, should have thought of that.
I have 125gr tips on those 2016's now, and I can whack a tennis ball all over the yard with them, but it does go boink in my hand when I shoot.
Other than that, she is a sweet little bow, it's like driving a lightweight dirt bike instead of the Harley.
Have any of you killed a deer with yours?
I know it could be done in the right time and place; it would be good to be able to tell my buddy it has been done before, lest he think this is just a kid's toy.
Thanks,
Walt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©