3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood Shaft Sealing System...  (Read 1181 times)

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood Shaft Sealing System...
« on: April 18, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
The other day I was thinking about another way to seal my wood shafts. I love the gasket system but not the way it seals wood.  So what if I fill the tube with Minwax Poly, dip (hold in poly for 15 sec) then pull it through the gasket system.  Nice even layer, let dry and repete.  This should put on a nice even coat of poly.  I know when you dip a shaft, their's some build up of sealer at the end that hangs lowest. Has anyone tried this?  just an idea........Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline LEFTY_ IN_ WV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood Shaft Sealing System...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
I soak my raw shafts in Helmsman Spar Urethane, &  rich dark poly stain & wood hardener for about 3 days. I then hang them by clothes pins, from the nock end, &  let them hang dry for about a week. As the shafts dry, I suspect that some of the mass will accumulate toward the point end, possibly enhancing point strength, & foc. It definitely adds weight/strength to the shaft. I use a pvc pipe 35 inches long, & I do 3 dozen shafts @ a time.
"Seek Quality Not Quantity"
>>>===LEFTYINWV===>

Offline LEFTY_ IN_ WV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h88/dm19692153/Arrows.jpg  
This is the latest group I'm working on. Dryed & ready to fletch, w/ fletching tape.
>>>===LEFTYINWV===>

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
I make a Little Trough out of Aluminum Foil, and dip 'em once in the MinWax Poly Tube, holding them over the tube until they quit dripping, then hang them over the Trough, Letting them get dry. Then I Repeat the Process. And a Coat of Wax when ALL is GOOD & Dry.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 02:20:00 AM »
Has anyone tried this method?
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Ed Isaacs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
I haven't tried that particular method, but it sounds interesting.  Please post your results if you try it.
"O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us To see oursels as others see us! It
wad frae mony a blunder free us, And foolish notion."

Robert Burns

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
I don't shoot wood but I do spray crest my alunimum arrows and then seal them with Minwax poly. The Minwax is tough stuff and Fletchtite bonds good to it. I have had two fletchings come off and one of those was shot off. The other did not have a good solid bead of glue when applied.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Aaron Proffitt 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
I use a similar method as Lefty but use Watco instead.Won't use anything else.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
Make a "gasket" out of a piece of t-shirt...small hole or slit, dip through the shirt into the poly, pull back through...leaves a nice coat, don't have to let it drip off, etc...

The real gaskets will pull it all off unless they are VERY worn out...use the tshirt -- cheap, easy and it'll work fine.

I made my dipper out of pvc components from HD -- pvc tube, a screw on end that will accept a screw and a donut like screw cap (I have no idea what these things are called, but there is no middle).  I'll have to take a pic or something...

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
Dude,

I have done minwax poly just as you described.  Works good, although you need to thin the poly a little after using it awhile to keep from getting to thick.  I used two coats of poly on ceder shafts. Keep the poly in a PVC tube made for that dipping with a screw lid and it will last a long time (keep the threads clean). I have some ceder arrows that are 25 years old and still sealed and strait.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
Thank you, thought it should work.  but you never know,  that's why I asked if anyone has tried this method.......thakns again......DesertDude
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline LEFTY_ IN_ WV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
Steel wool will smooth out any residue, nicely.
>>>===LEFTYINWV===>

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
Mark,  I'm thinking the Minwax is awfully thick to dip a shaft in.  I may be wrong, but I bet it will run and be a mess on the bottom end of the shaft.  I also believe you might have issues with adding weight to the shaft inconsistently from one shaft to another.  I use the Minwax Spar Urethane (Helmsman).  First coat thinned and applied with a foam brush as a sealer.  Then quick rub down with fine sandpaper or steel wool.  Second coat right out of the can with foam brush.

Offline jdemoya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
Aaron,

Do you  have any issues with glueing points/nocks and the Watco? I had problems with points coming off after using hot melt glue. I have not tried epoxy yet.

God bless,

Jose

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
Eagle,  my thought is that if I leave the shaft in the tube for about 15 seconds. Now pull it through the gasket, this will leave a small/even amount of poly that shouldn't run.  I will alow the shaft to dry between dips.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
You will get too thin a coating to be worth the effort. The gasket method is meant for the lacquer because the lacquer dries really fast in such thin coats. Polyurethane wants to have a thicker coat to be effective. If you just brush it on with a foam sponge brush, you will get a good even coat and all you need is some brushes and some news paper to catch the drippings. It takes a little longer but works well and I think you will be happier with it.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Jim Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
Eagle, what have you found to be the best to thin the Helmsman spar urethane and how much are you thinning it? Thanks, Jim.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
I mix my poly with paint thinner 70% poly 30% thinner. I just dip and let it run off to a drip than hang and dry. I steel wool(oooo)in between coats and do 3 dips. I have had shafts stay out under the snow for months at a time and find them in  the sprong and they are fine. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
Poly is  WATER BASED  is it not? Maybe some water, but  PAINT THINNER??  Scares  ME!!!!  :scared:    :scared:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
What do you guys use for cresting under Spar Urethane? I have used Testors enamel. Sometimes it runs and sometimes not. I understand now that you are suppose to use a water based acrylic and then dip in Spar..??

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©