3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood Shaft Sealing System...  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood Shaft Sealing System...
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
I use Polycrylic and the little foam brushes.I put a coat on and then let it dry about an hour and then use 600 grit sandpaper.I usually put on 4-5 coats.No mess and I can have finished shafts in less than 6 hours.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
I'm in the process of making a dozen arrows for my son. This is my first attempt from raw shafts. First i stained all but 7 inches after they dried i sealed the whole shaft with a water based poly using a foam brush then put a second coat on all but the 7 inches. Now i just finished two coats of white with a foam brush when that dries I'm going to crest them then seal the whole thin again, foam brushes seem to work and don't waste material.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
DesertDude,

I do the same as you describe except that I use Helmsman Spar Urethane in the tube.  I usually apply 5 or six thin coats that way and allow to dry for a full day.  I have done this with maple, ash and a few POC.  Duco for the fletching.

Just pulled one out of the grass that had been under there for 7 weeks (yeah-I missed with a new bow), ash with very open grain, and it was ever so slightly bowed away from straight.  Maple and cedar would have stayed straight in my experience (not that I miss that much....).
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shakes.602:
Poly is  WATER BASED  is it not? Maybe some water, but  PAINT THINNER??  Scares  ME!!!!   :scared:      :scared:  
No my friend...poly is NOT water based....altough they do make a latex urithane than is water base.....it's worthless for exterior use too.....  what's with all the dipping of arrows anyway???? rattle can them suckers with a spar varnish....about 3 coats and those arrows a good enough for the Oregon monsoons!  Kirk

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
I use the Minwax Spar Urethane. I use to use the gasket. But I have found that just dipping them once and hanging them gives a perfect final coat in one step because of it's consistency. It is a very durable finish.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
That should be HELSMAN Spar Urethane....

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
I forgot to mention that after I am done I will weigh the arrows. If they are off by 8 gr. you can steel wool the shafts and dip again. It will bring the weight up by 8 gr.  (No gasket-straight dip)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©