3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrew hawk WOW!!!!!  (Read 341 times)

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
Shrew hawk WOW!!!!!
« on: February 02, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Got my shrew hawk in the mail today. I've just got to say it is much nicer than I expected. With in a few minutes had it shaving sharp and the over all look is just way cool! Can't wait to take it out and put it through the paces.

Ron, thanks for a great product. If you don't have one and like stuff like that you've got to get one.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrew hawk WOW!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Agreed. Got mine a week or so ago and love it.  Great stuff!

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
They are very high quality.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
I tell ya, I checked them out in Kalamazoo and YOWZA were they sharp! I was pretty impressed!    :thumbsup:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
DId you get the shawnee or the larger version? I have been looking at buying one or getting a custom one made...

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
I really like my Hawk. They are cool.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
I use one almost every day during deer season. My son uses one on his trapline, abuses the heck out of it, and it keeps on going....

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
The Shrew Hawks and the Special Edition Trappers Companion are made one at a time, the old way, hammered out on a Blacksmiths forge. The price you pay for these old style tools is a bargain for the skill and craftsmanship that goes into them. This sheet with the Blacksmiths comments will go out with each Shrew Hawk.

š  About Your Shrew Hawk  ›
Both the Shrew Hawk and the Shrew Special Edition Hawk are made using the same processes that have been employed in axe manufacture for over 1,000 years, since before Viking times.  The cutting edges are made from high-carbon steel, while the remainder of each head is made of milder steel.  The axe body and cutting edge are fire welded together under a power hammer, and they are fused into one piece in the process.  The heads are then ground to shape, and each is annealed to relieve forging stresses.  The final steps involve hardening and torch-tempering each head twice to a pigeon blue color.  This allows the hawk to retain its sharp edge through repeated uses but also allows the edge to be easily brought back to “factory sharpness” with a file and stone as edge wear occurs.
These are hand-made tools and as such each has its own slight variations.  You might find the tear-drop eye varying a few degrees from the axis of the blade or that the cutting edge of the blade is slightly canted a few degrees from vertical.  You might see a thin line on each side of the blade revealing where the edge steel was welded into the head. There may be small areas on the head that show the rough finish from the forging process.  In today’s world of mass produced cookie cutter sameness, such variations might easily be considered imperfections and an indication that your Shrew Hawk is flawed.  Rest assured that these variations are NOT imperfections, but are rather simply are part of the process of making these hawks individually in “the old way”.  
Although these manufacturing methods have been proven effective for more than a millennium, any hardened tool can fail depending on how it is used.  We warrant our hawks against any defects in either materials or workmanship, but we caution the purchaser against using our axes for chopping objects with hard surfaces such as large animal bones, rocks, or other steel items.  An errant blow that lands the hawk’s edge against any such material might result in a chipped blade which could injure the user and also render the tool unusable.  Though our axes have successfully endured such treatment in the past, we cannot guarantee that they always will.  
We thank you for your purchase and know you will be more than pleased with the quality and workmanship of our Shrew Hawk and/or the Shrew Special Edition Hawk.  With proper care, you can look forward to a lifetime of service.

Carlton Matteo, Blacksmith
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
Ron

Is the Trappers companion and the Camp Axe the same size head?

Eric

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
Eric, the "Camp Ax", the Shrew Throwing knives, Super Hawk and Shawnee Hawk will be coming off my site sometime today. I had a clearance sale at Kalamazoo and sold everything and won't be restocking. I'll only be carrying the Shrew Hawk and Trappers Companion hawks from now on.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
OK, thanks Ron.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
I beat the heck out of mine all season.  Built blinds, hung stands, trimed braches, etc.....  Sharpened it up last week.  Sharp as ever!  Great American made tool!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©