3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 4 fletch vs 3 fletch  (Read 806 times)

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
4 fletch vs 3 fletch
« on: February 02, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
I am considering fletching up some arrows with a 4 fletch pattern...What i'm wondering is there an advantage of shooting 4 over three?

I know there is the disadvantage of course of the more drag and slowing the arrow down...but do the advantages outweigh the draw backs?

Any help is really appreciated!!

Thanks,
Coty

Offline RunninWild77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4 fletch vs 3 fletch
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
I loved my microflites with the four fletch, they just were so much more stable than three fletch. Plus they recover alot quicker, in my opinion.
Great Northern Firball 65@28
63' Hoyt Pro Hunter 49@28
74' Bear Kodiak Magnum 45@28 (my wife claims its hers now lol)
71' Bear Grizzly 40@28
70s ? Shakespeare Necedah 50@28

"Fast is nice, but accuracy is everything"-Wyatt Earp

Offline L. Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
I love my four fletch. 4" shield cut if you don't put much helical, I just offset them, the drag is negligible.

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
I will be putting right helical on them...does that make a difference? I only have a rw helical clamp...

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Helic is not relevent to fletch drag.  It is the same for both.  If you like 4 fletch and don't want excessive drag drop to 4 inch or 3 inch fletchings instead of the standard 5 inch 3 fletch.  Matched length 4 fletch will fly better than 3 fletch.  More fletch surface and drag provides more arrow control and quicker recovery.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
A while back I compared 3 5" and 4 4" feathers. I even chronoe'd them a fair bit and there was no advantage one over the other all else being equal.
Flight was to be the same to my eye.
The amount of feather is very close. Like a lot of other aspects of our passion, I think it is a preference thing.

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info...If i fletch up the arrows they will still be with 5" RW feathers...so the paramaters will be the same just one more fletch...

I would think that at farther distances it would probably DRASTICALLY improve flight and accuracy...but my limits are out to 20-25 yds...only with a wheel bow would i see it helping when you could shoot out to 50+ yds

Offline polarbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
If you useing 5"x3 now I'd go to 4"x4 I cut my own out of full length feather advantage of 4" you can get 2 out of most full length feathers. Seams like the feather are getting shorter. my 2(
Does your train of thought Have a caboose?

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 01:47:00 AM »
Close distances is where more fletch actually helps.  It stabilizes the arrow sooner.  At longer ranges a cross wind on the increased fletch area will cause more drift.  That is why I would go to 4 4inch fletch to replace the 3 5 inch you are using.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 05:25:00 AM »
With the four-fletch, I don't have to worry about orienting a cock feather when nocking with my eyes on the game.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline doeslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
I have a quiver with both 4x4 and 3x5s and to be honest they all hit the same place for me out to about 30 yards. For me I like the way they look(I use 2 of one color and 2 of another) plus in the stand you can nock an arrow without worrying about the cockfeather.

Offline Jim Curlee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
Coty;
At 25 yards you aren't going to see any difference in the flight of your arrow, except that it will recover quicker out of the bow.
I also use 4 - 5 5/16 feathers on mine, my arrows fly like darts.
Jim

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
i see nothing but advantages for using a 4x4" fletched arrow.

for the very most part, at sane hunting shot distances, there won't be any perceived flight or speed differences 'tween well made 3x5" or 4x4" fletched arrows.

all my arrows (carbon and wood) sport lw 4x4" 75x105 low profile banana fletches with just a few degrees of offset and no helical.  better clearance than the bigger 5" fletchings, quiet, fast, no nock or cock index required (a real good advantage, imo), and you can chop or burn a complete set of fletches for one arrow from 2 full length feathers as opposed to needing 3 full length feathers for a 3 fletch arrow = economical.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
I tried the 3 and 4 fletch with 4" feathers on goldtip carbons couldn`t tell difference, I really like the 3 fletch,
Independent Bow Hunter

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
With the four-fletch, I don't have to worry about orienting a cock feather when nocking with my eyes on the game.

Offline Beamen123

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
I'm shooting off the shelf on my Hatfield Take-Down. My question is... Would the 4 fletch come off the bow differently with more feather contacting the riser than the 3 fletch with a cock feather? That's my only concern.
Martin Hatfield Takedown

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
I have to say one thing. If you tune your arrows to your bow, I have not seen any difference with cock feather in or out. So not having to look doesn't come into play much. When I 4x4 fletch an arrow, I like the 90deg setting. Reminds me of a boat prop. But in the end I think either will serve you well, as long as the arrow is tuned to the bow.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
You can definitely 4-fletch 60-120 out of a 3 fletch 120 nock receiver pretty easily. Just attach the two hen feathers and then rotate the arrow 180 degrees without moving the nock receiver and then fletch two more hen feathers.

That will give you a 60-120 fletch config. and the feathers will be oriented the way I want them ... an 'X' with the string running perfectly vertical through the smaller angles between the top two and the bottom two feathers. There used to be instructions on a website that no longer exists. I think I have a copy that I can post later. This is the configuration I have used for years and I use a Bitz fletching jig. What I like best is that I don't have to worry about knocking an arrow incorrectly. Albert
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
i have tried both and found no advantages to 4 fletch . i chop my own and i shoot 4.5 three fletch and get 3-4 fletches from two full leingth feathers. and like deasert dude said :"either will serve you well, as long as the arrow is tuned to the bow." cock feather in ro out up or down whatever ..feathers forgive.
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
I agree with Earl Jeff......from a Hunting point of view 4-fletch IMO is better. I'm basing mine on Broadhead shooting....critter hunting...practice what you kill with.

1. Grip and rip approach..no cock feather orientation. in time of crunch..no need to waste seconds

2. The drag of extra fletch shot from a traditional bow probably off the shelf at a critter at 25 yards and less....is un-noticeable.....as you know this is not field archery>

3. I can fletch more arrows out of less FL feathers using 4 -4" fletches vs. 3-5 1/2" feathers. It simply takes 2 Full lenght to fletch 4-4" but 3 full lenght to fletch 3 -5 1/2"

4. It was easier for me to tune a broadhead with 4 vs 3. More feather guidance

5. I can see the back of arrow on animal hit clearer on 4 fletch vs 3 fletch.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©