3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "THE ARROW"(follow along w/pics)  (Read 1250 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
"THE ARROW"(follow along w/pics)
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
What is an arrow? This is a question we must all ask ourself. What is it's purpose? We always hear stories about ones new bow, but what of the arrow? We always see pics of ones bows,but what about the arrow? It seems that the arrow is often forgotten. I mean look at it,

it just pathetically sits there and does nothing. Gets caught on every bush as we walk. It's feathers make noises when touched. I mean really, it's plain BORING!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: "THE ARROW"(follow along w/pics)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
0h yeah - cabin fever's on the rise!  :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
AHHHHHH, until the moment of truth comes. Now it's our best friend. When you sit there in your perch with one remaining doe tag in your pocket. The arrow knows. When you pull that AD from it's holder with it's 160 grain snuffer, the arrow knows. It knows that the moment of truth might be coming and it wants to prove it's worth. I can almost see it grinning up at me when it notices movement coming. After I pull it's big brother(the bow) from it's hanger the arrow says"now watch what I can do". It tells big brother,"just get me in the air and I'll do the rest". The time has come and gone several times in an evening, and the arrow just sits and waits. "They(deer) are just too far says big brother,too far for a shot".
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
0h yeah - cabin fever's on the rise!   :D  
Not yet brother Rob, not yet!

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
The arrow is a projectile launched by a bow which carries the cutting edged killing payload to the target.  Think before you ask these questions...  :D
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
As the darkness starts to come the arrow sits and waits. Like a tiger waiting on it's prey. And then suddenly it happens. A mature doe at the base of the highwall. Will she choose our trail to come up and into the field the arrow asks?

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
The moment of truth could finally be coming. The big doe DOES choose our trail. The arrow takes charge."get ready big brother, it's show time". The trail will put the doe about 20 yards from our perch. Can you get me there he asks big brother? No problem says the bow. As the big doe crests the top of the hill, the arrow feels the tension on the string. He feels himself slowly start to glide acrossed the rest. As he lays still for a moment he asks, can I do this? Only seconds later he knows. The doe looks up as the arrow flies through the air. He guides his friend(snuffer) on his way. The doe reacts, but is it too late?

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
“I shot an arrow into the air, It fell to earth, I knew not where; For so swiftly it flew, the sight Could not follow it in its flight. I breathed a song into the air, It fell to earth, I knew not where; For, who has sight so keen and strong That it can follow the flight of song? Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroken; And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.”

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
Right before impact the hunter smiles as the beautiful yellow wings the arrow carries is going true. Then the doe moves a touch and he hears that God aweful noise,"CRACK". Uh oh, a couple inches forward. Shoulder!*%&%@!$% he replies. The doe bolts taking the arrow with it. Was he(arrow) strong enough to sustain the impact? Was he(arrow) able to push the big snuffer through? Only time will tell.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
Darkness has finally fallen upon us and the arrow is out there. In the cold, by itself, what fate could have fallen of it? As time has passed by it was time to go and look for our friend. Yes, friend. The arrow IS our friend. Just as our bow is. The trail is true and it appears the arrow was able to get snuffer into it's spot. Even a colorblind man(me) can follow this one.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
As I follow the trail I can't help but wonder. Where on earth is that arrow? And then, like a lightning bolt, I see it. My flashlight comes acrossed the magical shaft lying in the snow. Alone, broken,blood covered, but happy. It had done it's job! He WAS an important part of the team.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
About 20 yards later the doe was lying there. Yes the arrow had done it's part. It hung on as long as it could until the doe broke it off. The snuffer was stuck in the opposite shoulder.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Thanks for coming along on my tale. I shot this old girl last night. Our season ends Sat. and this would probably have been my last night out. I've killed several critters with my recurve but this was my first longbow kill. My MOAB shot true and yes, the arrow flew straight.
I hope I was able to break up some peoples cabin fever. This thread is a tribute to, yes, you guessed it, THE ARROW!

Enjoy! Now it's my turn to get cabin fever.  :bigsmyl:

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
For the record, I was sick when I hit that shoulder. I by no means condone shooting at the shoulder. Unfortunately sometimes it happens. I'm only glad that my equipment was able to do it's job in this instance.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
Very nice congrats buddy.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
Very cool.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Congrats on a fine longbow doe and thanks for a great story and tribute to the arrow.

The arrow is indeed a very important part of the team, more critical than the bow, IMO.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Great storytelling and an even better doe. Congrats.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Another job well done by a big ol' Snuffer!!

Congrats bud    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Thanks for taking me along, very cool!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©