3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyote problem's?  (Read 939 times)

Offline Longbow Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
Coyote problem's?
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Just wanting to know if anybody have hab problem's with coyote's while hunting I just found out a month or two ago my both my cousin's got a deer and put them by my stand for the coyote's so do they get aggressive around there food should I be worried? Thanks
Death Before Dinner.  God is my camera man.   I Love Motorcycles and I Love Bow Hunting But I don't Mix The two I don't put wheels on my Bows

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyote problem's?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
If a coyote gets agressive with you it is most like infected with Rabies.  Shot any and all agressive yotes you run into.

I have never heard of a coyote getting agressive with an adult.  They have attacked children a time or two across their range.  

I have never seen one not run away once they know you are there.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Last year a hiker was attacked and killed by 2 coyotes in Nova Scotia-well known story.

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
You dont have to worry about coyotes, they are so scared of us.  They will run quicker away from you then any deer.  Now if it gets really cold and food is hard to find the pet dog may be in trouble if it wonders out by itself.

Offline okcaveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
there was a singer in canada killed, last year i believe, by a pair of coyotes. In my humble opinion, a coyote is a predator and anyone who thinks that a coyote, if it was hungry enough, wouldnt attack a person because of its "fear" is dillusional. we are the easiest prey. no natural weapons other than our brain, no natural defenses other than our brain. no offense meant to anyone, just stating my opinion

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Im sorry if Im dillusional, but if your out in the woods and scared about a coyote you have problums and shouldnt be in the woods.

Coyote attacks on people are extremely rare. The best estimates assert that, in recorded history, there have been 20 to 30 coyote attacks on humans that resulted in injuries." (Tracking and the Art of Seeing, Paul Rezendes, second edition, 1999, p. 194)

Usually coyote attacks on people occur when a coyote has become comfortable around people, often as a result of people feeding them.
Just like bears, people feed them then get attacked.  Common sense people youll be fine.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
I have a substantial number if yotes around areas that I hunt.  They have never been a problem.  They run from you at first glance.  On the other hand, our coon dogs have had to scrap with them a time or two when hunting.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry about em. In fact I would set up on em and try to kill em all! I guess if they were hungry enough they could attack, but really...coyotes as a threat to me, not a chance. I hunt them, and am really lucky to get one when I am trying to get close to em. They are smart enough to run from me.  :-) I would also go as far as to say that we are not the easiest prey. I can and wwill defend myself by all means. 200 lbs of lean mean dvshunter vs. Two 40lb. Yotes... I'd put my money on me. Go get em if you dare...
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
I have been attacked myself, well I guess you would not call it attacked but I was hunting and nature called, the standing kind, so I’m standing there taking care of business and I get that feeling, that one you get when you know something or someone is watching you. Well I turn around with all my glory in my hand and there is a yote standing about 3 to 4 feet from me just staring at my hand, the one with my glory in it and the next thing I know this yote is leaping at me, I let go and swipe at him with my hand and two of my fingers end up in his mouth. He grabs on and jerks two or three times like a dog tugging on a rope, then let’s go and turns and hauls butt out of there. I had a couple of shallow rips on my index finger and the one next to it, he must have been young because his teeth were sharp as puppy teeth.

Scared the hell out of me but I laugh about it now, he must have had visions of a veana sausage or something for lunch.

This happened about 30 years ago when I was young and dumb, I didn’t even go to the doc to have it checked out.

On a serious side if any of you out there get bit by something wild go get checked rabies is nothing to mess with
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline okcaveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
but if your out in the woods and scared about a coyote you have problums and shouldnt be in the woods.

Never said I was scared, all I am saying is that if anybody feels that a coyote will not attack a human because of some innate fear or whatever then you are disillusioned. Never said they kill alot of people either. all I am saying is that coyotes are predators and can/will/have attacked/killed humans before.

as a side note, a lot of people go missing and are never found. how many attacks by deadly animals go unrecorded every year because the remains are never found?

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by L82HUNT:
[QB] Im sorry if Im dillusional, but if your out in the woods and scared about a coyote you have problums and shouldnt be in the woods.

i think i'm gonna have to agree with that...i had a bullfrog charge me once, but i still go flyfishing occasionally...(i do carry a knife however)
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline okcaveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
don with an avatar like that I wouldnt be afraid of any bullfrogs either

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
No need to worry...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
If a coyote gets agressive with you it is most like infected with Rabies....
  ...I have never seen one not run away once they know you are there.
I totally disagree.

I have had the alpha male coyote chase my 105lb dog, trying to hamstring him all the way, right up to me, around me and until I kicked him in the ribs he was not going to leave. This was a 75lb coyote and was boss. He was intent on killing my dog, who, though a great sight hound and a great retriever was no fighter. Until he realized I was going to participate, he was continuing the attack.

I don't think a coyote is going to attack anyone unless that person shows very meek, timid and uncertain behavior when they come on.

These animals are not stupid and they can determine risk very accurately.

Go with confidence and use yuor head. Nothing to worry about- they are part of the natural world we hunt in and as a preditor only need to be shown the risk is not worth the uncertain reward.
99% of the time they run anyway...

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
Pops-it is a good thing that Coyote did not have a Salami preference!!

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
WTPOPS -  Sorry but I laughed out loud at your story.

He must of thought you had his mouse.   Still laughing...

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
Pops that is a funny story.

Offline woodsman 365

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
Nothing to worry about. There is a reason you seldom see coyotes in the woods. We seldom see bears, cats, wolves also but they are there.

Offline okcaveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
Nothing to worry about. There is a reason you seldom see coyotes in the woods. We seldom see bears, cats, wolves also but they are there.  
very true. and every year people are mauled by both bears and cats, and contrary to popular belief, by wolves. just because you dont see them does not mean they will not attack under the right circumstances.
not saying it happens often, or that it is something that anybody should fear overly much, but that the possibility is there, and they should be aware of it.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
Pops-it is a good thing that Coyote did not have a Salami preference!!
Hey Bjorn he proably did and thats why turned and ran, he didnt see any thing worth fighting me over.  :saywhat:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©