3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need advice from the pheasant hunters on TradGang!  (Read 907 times)

I need advice from the pheasant hunters on TradGang!
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
OK, I have been wanting to pheasant hunt with my longbow for quite some time and now it looks like it is going to happen. I have a quiver full of arrows that I am going to fletch up with FluFlus but don't have a clue what to use on the business end. I cannot use broadheads because they don't want the dogs getting hold of one of those so...... what is the best thing to use?
I have Judos, and VPA small game thumper points. I could get a few snare points if those really work. Give me some help / advice.

Bisch

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need advice from the pheasant hunters on TradGang!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
I've always used broadheads.  Check the laws in the state you intend to hunt in -- I think South Dakota requires them  at least they used to.

Again, depending on how and where you hunt and contrary to popular belief you don't REALLY need a dog to hunt pheasants.  I grew up in SD and never had a dog and got my fair share of birds.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
never hunted pheasants myself, so I cant say much, but can say that I definatly dont think I would use the snaros on them!  I think the biggest thing I would use them on is a grouse, and it would have to be very close!  I think your best bet is either a bh or a judo?  From what I have read they have thin skins!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
Ya! Thin skins but thick feathers.  They're tough birds!  A load for 6 or 4 shot on the wing will do them in but try that if they're on the ground and unless you hit them in the head it's like they're wearing armour.  A judo may do it but I'd still recomend a BH.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
I've tried everything.  I've had Judos and Hex Blunts bounce off birds.  What I've found best is a field point with a Zwickey Scorpio behind it.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
I can't imagine that anything but a broadhead would bring down birds--unless, of course you're going for headshots only  :biglaugh:  .....

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
We went a couple weeks ago and used Ace Hex Blunts or the new one's that are similar to those. We didn't hit any though so we don't know how they would perform. Didn't want to hurt the dog with broadheads (in case we actually hit a bird).

We learned to give them plenty of lead time. It's hard to retrain yourself to look ahead of the target to aim.

Good news was by the end of the day we were improving, getting closer, and a few feathers were actually knocked off.

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by huntryx:
I can't imagine that anything but a broadhead would bring down birds--unless, of course you're going for headshots only   :biglaugh:   .....
I shot a Guinnea fowl in africa with a judo and it worked. Just wondering what the guys who have taken pheasants use?

Thanks for the info so far.

Bisch

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Pheasants are tough, especially armored from the stern.  
Wished I could give you some better news but I think shooting judos or blunts at them will only net you crippled birds. Were I to fiddle around with them with bow, I would only use sharp broadheads...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
No dogs=broadheads

Dog=keep your arrow in the bird, the will not get away

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
I was in the same situation and found just regular field tips would penetrate and bring the birds down. Seemed like judo's penetrated but the bird usually flew quite a ways before going down. The dogs can retrieve the birds and then ring their necks. When not using dogs I always shoot broad heads.

Offline TimRadke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
I hit a pheasant out of the air with hex blunt at about 25 feet and put it down... But then it ran another 50 feet and hunkered down under some brush.  Good to have the dog on that one
Byron Ferguson Patriot
58# @ 28"

RER XR
49# @ 26"

>')///><            <-------[[[[

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Last year I used straight fletched, 6 feathered flu-flu's...and on the end used a 250gr. field point, with a tiger claw behind it...

Hit 2 out of the air, one was a grazing blow across the back and broke the off side wing...

Second bird was hit dead center perfect and was dead before he hit the ground....penetration was almost up the the feathers...

This was with a 58# recurve....

The set-up was good with the dogs, but still very lethal on the birds.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
Skip the flu flus and use blunts (and expect to loose 2/3 of the arrows shot).  Flu flus slow the arrow down too much for the blunt to penetrate.  I like the hex heads and standard steel blunt.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Bisch check out the RFA Talons. They look to be a good ticket. I normally use broadheads, but hunt without dogs. I've used fieldpoints as well with good results. Good luck, it is FUN!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
I am going at the end of the month and plan to use arrows fletched with four full width feathers (not siraled flu flu), and steel blunts or Hammers. I will have a dog and there is potential for other people to be out and about, so target poit or broahead is out.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
I prefer wood shafts, 5.5" feathers and steel blunts.  The problem with real flu-flus is the arrow does not have a lot of striking power at longer shots.  For them I use three blade broadheads that were made in our town. Not good enough for deer, too soft, but they do a number on pheasants.  I have found that a blunt and a standard arrow to be about equal with the three blade on the flu-flu for recovery rates.  Arrow speed and arrow weight does need to be considered in anyone's setup. I use fairly heavy bows for pheasants, if I was using 40 pound bows I probably would stick with the broadheads.

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
This season and last season we have footage of a couple solid hits with broadheads where the arrow was protuding out the breast and they still made it up to 400 yards.  

I think a dog is a must, but you better be able to call them off a downed bird if broadheads are involved.

Magnus Bullheads were my favorite head to use.  It was not the most lethal head available, but it was safe for the dogs, would shear off wings, and lay them wide open with the right hit.  It was also always easier to find because it never got buried in the weeds like a broad head will.  The downside is they are expensive and on a straight away flush, the tail feathers absorb so much energy, the bird will fly away virtually unscathed.  It is frustrating to make a great shot, solid it, and all you have to show for it is a cloud of feathers.

It is so much fun.  Enjoy!

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
bisch, i've gone about 4x and killed 5 or 6 birds out of the air.the guides did not want us to use broadheads 'cause of the dogs.we used field tips and did fine ...the shots are fairly close.if you use BH ...you'll need a bunch.we practiced with nerf footballs and that makes more of the difference vs. the point used.it is a blast .

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
On my Bullhead recommendation, my results were with a 65# bow.  Lighter weights with definately have different results.  A dull 2 blade broadhead would be my second choice.  Easy to clean off and you don't have to worry about a sharp head.  Plus you can find inexpensive ones.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©