3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: need help tillering my red oak board bow ( with pics )  (Read 389 times)

Offline Cameron30

• Trad Bowhunter
need help tillering my red oak board bow ( with pics )
« on: April 18, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
Hey, this is my red oak board bow and its my first bow. I think its going to be a very weak bow because it is prety weak right now. If im lucky I might have a 30 pound bow. Here is a picture of it at brace but its about half the length brace it is going to be. Thanks for any advice. If you can see something in the future I can prevent in tillering I would like to try to do that.

Cameron

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need help tillering my red oak board bow ( with pics )
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Cameron, not looking to bad!  The right side needs a few scapes along the last third and that should bring it along a little more evenly.  Keep it up, go slow and soon enough it will be your pride and joy.  Don't dispair if it turns out weak either, the jorney IS the destination.
Semper Fi,
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Luke Vander Vennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
My take is that the inner half should be bending more, a few scrapes at a time  :)  

Keep us posted
Dances with Turtles

Offline Cameron30

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
Hey thanks, that pic is where I left off today, il pick up on it again tomorrow. Im not sure but are the outter limbs still bending too much or is that ok for now untill I get farther down the tilering stick? or does it look fine? It does look like there is more to do than just the outer limbs like you both said but I realy want to get out of the danger of having the ends bending more than the rest of it. It seems to make it have set a lot more in that area because its bending more. and again, thanks.

Cameron

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
Make one of these to find where to remove wood.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=033419

Offline Cameron30

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
ok, thanks, thats a neat little dohicky you have there Eric, il try to make something like that. Also thanks for the tillering advice, I havent worked on it today or I would have posted more pics but I probably will tomorrow. Thanks again

Cameron

Offline Cameron30

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
Ok, I have been working on this for the weekend and I made it to 15 inches and its braced on the tillering stick.

I think it needs to bend a little more mid limb on the left side and a little more on the handle. the left limbs end is bending a little too much and the rest of the left limb isnt bending enough, but the right limb looks pretty good and is bending more than the left side so if I scrape more midlimb on the left side it might even the limbs out and take away that too much bending on the end too. What do you think?

Also I couldnt make that pencil jig because I didnt have a nut handy, the only ones I have are on my bicycle and I need those. heres the pic of the bow at 15 inches, by the way it pulls 40 pounds at 29 in. right now so if I can finish it without making too many mistakes in the tiller I might have atleast a 35 pound bow!

Offline nailbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Yep, looks like it could bend a bit more from near handle to midlimb.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©