3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Re-freezing Deer - Processing  (Read 558 times)

Offline rightminded

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Re-freezing Deer - Processing
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Years ago i worked for a grocery that purchased boxes of frozen Australian boneless bull.  They would thaw it out, grind it up and sell as hamburger meat.  I am sure a some people bought in quantity and refroze a lot of it.

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
That is what the I guy I work with said.  Just thaw it out and process, then refreeze.

Do we have any anyone or do you know anyone technical that you can ask as to the issues of re-freezing?  

I hear what you are saying and it sounds like a great option.   I do my aging on the front end in an ice chest for almost a week. Then process. It usually ends up being a late Sunday night.

Guys I hear you about convincing your wife, mine said the same thing when I told her I started this post.

Thanks all for contributing;

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Mom was an RN and believed it would "kill you" if you ate meat refrozen.  Course, her mom was dead certain if you ate fish and ice cream together, you'd die, too.  People have reasons deep seated from someone's experience and then it seems to take on a life of it's own...  :)

In my biology days, I tried like the devil. As our chef said earlier, it's a quality issue, not a health one. Each freezing allows some bacteria to start growing again, depending on how you thaw the meat.

Bacteria grows even in the freezer, but it grows really slowly.

I've seen some ole country folks thaw that night's meat on the hood of the car in the sun to git er done quick... I'd not refreeze that. Don't even like eating it honestly!   :eek:  

Ask some meat cutters in the big chain stores. Most of the meat was "fresh frozen" and then thawed, cut and put out lookin all spiffy. We buy it and take it home and freeze it. At least I do.

It won't kill you, but there is a diminishing return both in flavor and possible contamination, given so many variables of how slow you let it thaw, to what temp, how old it was before you froze it...

Do it and enjoy. No biology exits to support the notion it will hurt you...within reasonable handling.

None I could ever find... and I looked hard!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Thanks Doc.  

Seems simple but something we can all learn from.

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Doc Nock it sure is nice to see you. I know some butchers that say they hang the beef for 14 days or longer frozen. Then they thaw it to butcher, refreeze it to ship to market. I think this is a common practice.   :archer:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
My butcher won't touch a deer until it's frozen.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
One final note: I learned one thing the hard way... and that is related to "freezing"

If you like tender deer, I like to let mine age. Trouble is keeping it at the proper temperature to avoid bacteria taking over...should be in the mid 30's temp wise.

Once it's frozen, the enzymes that break down the cellular tissue, are killed off. Once you let it "age" AFTER it's been frozen..well, only thing you're doing is letting it kinda... ummm...ROT!   :scared:  

If you're going to "age" venison, do it under controlled temps BEFORE you freeze it... the alternative isn't quite so palatable, eh?  :)

Good to see you too, Bruce!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline badbadleroybrown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
I have always been told not to refreeze meat...but I can't argue with the years of experienced people here who have done it. All of these posts have made me change my view on the subject.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Great info, always have avoided re=freezing, but there are times when that would have helped me out in processing a deer! Thanks.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
I think what Doc meant to say was Flash frozen! This is the way veggies and meat are done. I cut and ground thousands of pounds of pork and beef in my small time as a meat cutter, along with chickens.

Poultry is usually frozen and shipped to the stores. Then put out on the counter, where it slowly thaws. Ecoli has played a big factor in how meat is handled.

I could go on and on, the point is you can refreeze, but it boils down to proper handling and temperature. We don't always have the choice or convenience when it comes to deer or such.

Weather and commen sense will dictate on what you can do.

Offline JF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
sounds like you could over do this,I wouldn't want to refreeze more than once. John

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:
One final note: I learned one thing the hard way... and that is related to "freezing"

If you like tender deer, I like to let mine age. Trouble is keeping it at the proper temperature to avoid bacteria taking over...should be in the mid 30's temp wise.

Once it's frozen, the enzymes that break down the cellular tissue, are killed off. Once you let it "age" AFTER it's been frozen..well, only thing you're doing is letting it kinda... ummm...ROT!    :scared:  

If you're going to "age" venison, do it under controlled temps BEFORE you freeze it... the alternative isn't quite so palatable, eh?   :)  

Good to see you too, Bruce!
Doc,
Thanks for putting that out there. I've been trying to impart the fact that aging must be done in an atmosphere and humidity controlled environment for years. Just hanging it out in the trees is not aging.
The re-freezing as you mentioned is also spot on.
  :knothead:  

Meat Cutter/Butcher, Meat Dept Mgr 38 years and counting.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
Bob,

I loved your quote about "not getting sick..."

I have dear ole friends in their 80's. He just died recently, but from bladder cancer.

They cold pack (hot bath method)deer meet in canning jars. Everybody will tell you that you shouldn't do THAT either. Botulism can't be killed till above 230* and then the enzyme released will kill you and isn't broken down till much higher temps that that...only should pressure can low acid veggies and meat!

But, they've been doing it for years and years. I avoid ever eating any of that food...   :eek:  They may have the anti-bodies built to handle it. I don't!

I know a family in upstate NY where the Mom kept mayonaise in the cupboard after opening. Nobody got sick living at home. Kid moves away, comes back for a family summer reunion and almost dies on the tater salad with the mayonaise kept out of the fridge for months in hot weather.

People can build tolerances to lots of stuff.

Then there are the family things passed on from generation to generation. If I had some fish, I'd go have some and chase it with a bowl of ice cream just to get ole materal grandma spinning in her grave! Many "wive's tales" are that. Some have a historical basis that has long since passed.

That comment about controlling conditions and temps made earlier on page 2 is critical too. "IT all depends..." is so true here.

Freezing and refreezing meat will not make you sick. BUT... as others have said: How you thaw it, how long it's at room temperature, how long it was kept before freezing the first time, etc, etc. etc. are all so critical.

Now I'm hungry for some ice cream...  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Hey Bob, 38 years, standing on Cold concrete boning meat, any saw dust?

Some days I miss it, but most NOT!

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by frank bullitt:
Hey Bob, 38 years, standing on Cold concrete boning meat, any saw dust?

Some days I miss it, but most NOT!
Saw dust? I haven't seen saw dust on a meat room floor since 1978! The Health Dept and Consumer Safety did away with that long, long ago.
I think I have developed it in my feet and knees though.
  :(

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
I'll betcha there are more wives tales and misinformation floating around about meat handling and processing(especially sausage making and cures) than there are about bowhunting itself !!!!!!  LOL

YOU MUST CUT OFF THE TARSAL GLANDS IMMEDIATELY OR IT WILL RUIN THE MEAT  ............ lol ......... anyone remember that one ????

teehee  

personally , I bone out my deer and freeze my grinding meat in 5 lb bags  ........ when I have more time ,usually after bow season is over , I thaw it out and make burger ,brats , sausage  or whatever I need  .....and refreeze ... it works great  ....... oh , and I buy pork butts when I find em on sale and do the same with them
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rick Perry:
I'll betcha there are more wives tales and misinformation floating around about meat handling and processing(especially sausage making and cures) than there are about bowhunting itself !!!!!!  LOL

YOU MUST CUT OFF THE TARSAL GLANDS IMMEDIATELY OR IT WILL RUIN THE MEAT  ............ lol ......... anyone remember that one ????

teehee  

I always heard it was the genitalia.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©