3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Footed shaft and spine weight??????????  (Read 399 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Footed shaft and spine weight??????????
« on: February 04, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I am having Great Basin Footed Shafts foot a dozen Surewood Shafts for me. Thanks Kye! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has some footed shafts if they could check the spine weight of the shafts after they are footed..? I would think the heavier hardwood footing would stiffen the shaft. But then with more tip weight that weakens a shaft....? Do they balance each other out? Or does it not effect the spine by much?  Just curious.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Footed shaft and spine weight??????????
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
The effect of a standard length hardwood footing on a softwood (cedar) shaft is negligible.  It sometimes increases the spine by a pound or two, but that's about it.  Doesn't  add much weight to the front either, about 20-30 grains depending on the material and arrow diameter.  Keep in mind, that with a standard size footing, you're removing the cedar that was already there and replacing it with a hardwood foot, so the increased weight is the difference between the weight of the cedar and the weight of the hardwood, not the hardwood's individual weight.  On the other hand, if you're footing your shafts to increase their length, then you are adding more weight to the front of the shaft. Likewise, if you use a longer than normal hardwood foot, you can increase the front weight quite a bit.

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
I had a friend make me some double length 4-foot footed shafts out of the heaviest wood wecould find and used tapered fir shafts. With a 190gr. head it is just over 19% FOC and we had to use 65-70# spine shafts to get good flight out of a 50# static recurve.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
My experience with footed shafts is very limited, but I would agree with Orion.

Most of the early footed shafts were target arrows and I think the main purpose was to add weight up front.  The early target piles were pretty small and light.  For me, the biggest functional advantage would be strength behind the point and good looks.  Today, there are much easier and more effective ways to add weight.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 03:23:00 AM »
Snag,

I have bought a few dz footed shafts from Kye at GBFS. I have seen no difference at all. Kye's shafts spine as listed. They fly the same as my none footed shafts of the same spine. You are going to love these shafts, I'm making a couple up to give away.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Wish I would have drawn your name DesertD!!! I'm really looking forward to making some arrows out of the Surewoods Kye is footing for me. What a great man too! Really enjoyed his easy going demeanor over the phone.  My initial thoughts were in line with what you guys have stated. So I am having footed shafts that are the poundage I usually shoot. But often times you guys know something or think of something I wouldn't have thought. Thanks, David
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Desert Dude/Snag:  As you know, if you buy the shafts already footed, the fella doing the footing spines and groups them after he foots them.  He might start with a spine a pound or two lighter than the target weight to accommodate the small increase that footing might yield.  Regardless, the change is so small, it won't bump a group of shafts out of a 5# range.

For what it's worth, with a footed and tapered 28 3/4-inch 11/32 cedar shaft with 160 grain head, I get nearly 19% FOC. Doug Fir would yield close to the same results should you decide to give it a go.  Good luck.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
This is a little off Topic, I called Kye and asked him for a Footed shaft for the arrows swap. He is sending me a Twisted/Footed Tamarack shaft with a footed self nock. This is going to be so cool to see one in my hand. Kye is one of the best to work with.  

Orion,
Just waiting on my bow to get here so I can test a few shafts then order another dz footed. It's nice to hear that you can get in the high teens with a footed shaft.....
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
Snag I sent a bunch of my ACME's to Raptor for extra long footing-7 inches BOP instead of the usual 2 inches.
The spine did not change noticeably-the cedar was stiff to begin with. The weight up front is considerable depending on wood choice. The best and prettiest is Cocobolo IMO.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©