3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Something I thought I'd never do  (Read 1349 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Something I thought I'd never do
« on: February 04, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
I am switching to carbons!! At least for this year. I swore I would never shoot a carbon out of a longbow, something about being sacreligous oe something, and it might be. But I was having a heck of a time getting my woods and alum to tune. Probably me, but none the less, it was driving me crazy. So I won a half dozen gold tips here ( thanks mike aka yellow dog), first shot out, flew like a dart. My confidence has now skyrocketed, which as we all know is the real key to shooting well, so I am making the switch this year. Now I need to play with some different brands to find a heavier arrow and get the same performance. So here goes a new chapter.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Something I thought I'd never do
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Yo're on the right track!! I used to feel the same way untill I started shooting Carbon Express and Gold Tips.You can bump up the weight with 50 - 100 Grain brass inserts and increase you FOC.I put 100 grain inserts in my Gold Tip Trads and 50 grain in my Carbon Express and they fly GREAT!!Incresed my penetrtion on Big Game dramatically also.I started getting pass thru's more often.Easier to tune.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
give away your wood you wont be commin back to the forest...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Ol Guru got me shooting carbons and I love them.

I still love my POC's and will always have some for my selfbows so I wouldn't get rid of them.

The way you were shooting in Utah last year Ryan I pitty the next animal to cross your path if your confidence is up, You were nailing everything we shot at on that mountain.  :bigsmyl:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Got to have my confidence high in case I draw a certain tag here, and if I run across a certtain buck out there.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :pray:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Love wood for sure, and have a bunch of it...but the efficiency of carbons is insane!  I shoot CX 400's through my 54# longbow and front load them to the hilt, 100 gr. brass inserts, 200 Griz. w/100 gr. adapters and they fly awesome!  These shafts should not shoot through this bow if you reference the charts.  I can bare shaft these with this FOC out to 15 yds.  They do build your confidence as Steadman mentions above!  Penetration on game is exceptional…but still, I am romanced by wood!

Kris

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
I like carbons, too.  I don't like to label things as traditional or not, so no sacrelige from me.  When I feel like shooting wood shafts I say I'm feeling nostalgic   :)  

What I really like about carbons is that if they ain't broke they're straight.

Stan

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Say it ain't so!   :(
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Carbons out of my fg bows, woodies out of my self bows.  Kinda has to be that way...so far. The Gold Tips are really nice though.  I like them.
Silence is golden.

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Just hide them under your skirt when you come out here!

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
I also heard they dont perform well on peacocks!

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I fought carbons for years.... I will admit Gold Tips are by far the best arrows I've ever shot.  Tough, accurate and easy to tune.

I will say that I only shoot POCs from my selfbows.. I think I would burst into flame using any other shaft material in a selfbow.. LOL
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Love woodies but carbons, I don't feal so bad you when I mess one up.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Straight or broke. I like mine. I have a healthy apprcieation for a good dozen wood arrows though.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Sounds like most of us struggle with, or at least feel somewhat uneasy about how we appreciate the “superior” performance of carbon.  We all love wood and I think this is the one unifying commonality we have for traditional archery.  I have hickory, maple, birch, larch and POC shafts and arrows.  Nothing like the smell of broken POC.  I find it hard to discard broken POC shafts and probably have all the ones I have ever broke.  There was time when I refused to run an aluminum or carbon shaft through any of my bows.  Hmmmmmm?

Kris

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
Just goes to show you ... never say never, but you'll be back they always are ....
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Just starting this "sickness" this year I like both. I shoot axis 500s with 100 bras insert and 145 grain heads. They are awesome. But just got in 12 POCs.
Something about staining and cresting and fletching them make me proud  :)
love to look at them and carry them. Feels great and they shoot great to.
Love both but have only hunted with the carbons a guess for the "insurance" or confidence thing.
Love both... In process now on a bamboo osage blank from Dryad.
I see it as a wood only bow.
Ken
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I won't be giving up on woods. But I need the confidence right now. So I think it's a phase, but you never know.
Shane don't forget to drop your purse at the state line if you draw your tag, it will weigh you down when you climb up the tree! Unless it has donuts in it, then it will be a good thing for ya   :D

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
Show me a man shooting an honest self bow shooting wood arrows,and you've shown me a man I can respect.
Show me a man shooting a totaly modern R/D bow pretending to be a longbow,carrying wood arrows with plastic nocks,machined steel heads,die cut feathers,FF string,and then crowing about wood arrows being traditional,,,you've just shown me a complete hypocite.
I don't shoot a self bow,I do shoot a modern carbon wood recurve with FF string,elevated rest,adjustable tiller,metal riser.
A modern American style straight limbed longbow with fast flight string,,,and carbon arrows.
If I had to shoot wood arrows and then pretend I was a traditional archer just because I shot wood,I'd give up the sport,,,an that's after 43 years of being both a hunter and competitive shooter.
The double standards in this sport are the very reason that after 12000 odd years of history it still has a very small and fragmented following.
We all love wood,,,get real,,today wood has become just another lever of division used by trad pretenders.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©