3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 20 yard question…  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 20 yard question…
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Yep Dean that's what I meant.  Nothing at all wrong with selfbows.  I love 'em!!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Part of being a good hunter is having properly tuned equipment and while I think 10 percent is a little low, a good hunter will always kill more deer be it with a spear a rock whatever, but quiet is always better. As far as having to be a good hunter to kill a deer not really, with todays numbers of deer almost anyone who has the patience to sit in one spot long enough can kill one, ever hear of beginners luck, good hunters will just be more consistent killing deer.JMHO
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
Shawn,

No doubt about it. Equipment choice doesn't make you a hunter.  Maybe we got mixed up and are talking about two differnt things. I'm refering to bowhunter education and the 20 yard rule.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
300 rounds are shot at 20 yards.
i think you mean 300 is a perfect Vegas score...actuall a 30x 300 would take the cake...

as for shooting 300 rounds....whew! that would be a long haul.....900 arrows

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
I still do not believe it, it takes a good hunter to kill deer. I can name a few guys who could kill deer consistently with a the loudest twangyest, slowest bow in the world, jumpy deer at that. I am sorry but I believe 10 percent of the hunters kill 80% of the deer taken regardless of equipment choice. Shawn
I believe the actual figures are higher than that Shawn....i think 10% kill 90% of the elk taken with a bow, and probably deer too.... but there is were we stop in agreement Shawn....

That 10% that consistently harvest animals are one with their equipment.... the othe percentage don't take the time to practice....i have no sympathy for guys pulling their equipment out of the closet a couple weeks before the opener.... their ARE a lot of missed deer & elk because of not necessarily poor equipment.... but with un-tuned, unused equipment, with new arrows never been shot before.....it's sad....i see it every year, a lot....But I've never hunted with Trad archers before....If you are not shooting every day, you don't belong in the woods hunting!!....this is my philosophy....regardless of choice of equipment....

Kirk

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
It is commonly called a 300 round KirkII. Always good to learn something new in a respectful way.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
I believe it's a combination of factors.

Many of todays trad. archers have chosen to learn an aiming techinque that is considered to be more trad. and is actually harder to master, especially at longer distances.

Before there was 3D, there were Field Rounds, which had shot distances between 5 and 90yrds. and bowhunters back than had different standards and beliefs.

With todays average accuracy levels and what's considered ethical shot distances, 3D's are set up at an average distance of about 20yrds.

I believe their is alot of room to raise the bar...at least in regards to the Trad Class in 3D target archery competion, although I would still prefer that most 3D competions still maintain what would be considered an ethical shot distance and also create a specific class for trad target archers and allow them to shoot at far greater distances.

Ray     ;)

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »
Haven't there been plenty of discussions/evidence of deer not reacting outside the ~18yd mark?  In that case, it would seem farther is better...but we've gotten off topic slightly.

It's been said above in a gentle way....IMO, the 20yd mark is there because people don't shoot well past it (I think it is closer than 20 and believe many would benefit from range finders)...whether it be lack of practice at longer ranges, who knows...it seems archers of the past were "better" (more practiced) than archers now...bring back field archery in a more mainstream way...I think it would do wonders for many/most of the stickbow guys.  

Proficency at longer ranges normally equates to proficency at short ranges.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©