3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ASAT Leafy Suits?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ASAT Leafy Suits?
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
Tom - I bought mine direct from ASAT off of their website.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
I have both the desert digital and woodland camo in both the suit and the sapper.  I use both.  They don't snag on bruch near as much like the trad ghillie.  Also, they have a new 3d leaf suit that looks pretty good - but I am having so much luck with the ones I have I just cannot see changing.  No way I would pay 140 dollars for the ASAT version when the desert Kill Suit has same basic colors and does a far better job breaking up the outline and costs about half the price.  ASAT is good but the 3d leaf suit kind of destroys the ASAT pattern anyway.  Everyone that I know that has tried the Kill Suits has had animals walking yards away without being detetected as long as they remain still.  I have got away with some movement and event when a coyote (which to me has far better vision then deer) detects me he just stares as he cannot make out what exactly I look like.

I trimmed the stuff off the inside of my left arm and on my left chest area a little to facilitate a clean bowstring release.

as far as holding up I hunt Texas a lot and we have a ton of thorns and briars - these things are tough and very well made.  However, I usually walk in and put my suit on when I arrive as it is usually 80 degreees or so during bow season here.  I think these will last several years - I've had mine for two complete seasons and can't see any wear or tear as of yet.  They are basic and have snaps and draw strings---- should last many seasons.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
The same successes have been reported by users of ASAT.  I may feel differently about another system if walking in and sitting a bait or a stand was the way I'd be hunting.  However, for planning on extended foot travel and the potential to encounter elk at any moment, the ASAT suit works best for me.  I may not walk around with an arrow nocked but it is wise to be as prepared as possible for "go time" when wandering these elk haunts.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
Well I guess I could tell ya I walked up on a doe last year and shot her at 20 yards?  Or I could tell you about the coyote that I was able to stalk and shoot at 45 yards?

There is no doubt in my mind that these suites will do anything an ASAT suit can do (and I think more when talking breaking up the human outline) at about 1/2 the cost.  But all I was  wanting to let other trad gangers know about them as they are a great alternative to other leafy wear suits.  There's videos out there for both ASAT and Kill Suits - so everyone can go make their own choice - I am sure either suit would be a good alternative.

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
I suppose I could tell you about the 18 hen turkey's that surrounded me for 20 min at an average distance of 4 yds, but that is neither here nor there.

I believe many,like products will allow one to have their silhouette broken up.  My post was intended to also take into account the functionality based on the type of hunting one might be doing not just the cost and look of the product.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
Glad you like ASAT - it is a good camoflauge and if it works for you - go for it.

BTW cost is not the deciding factor for me, just an added bonus.  

IMHO the Kill Suit is far more effecient at hiding movement and breaking up the human outline and is just as functional no matter what type of hunting you do - ASAT leafy suit doesn't even begin to compare IMHO.

All the advantages stated by ASAT are found in these suits - plue it has a big advantage over ASAT in breaking up the humam outline - for 1/2 the cost.  It also comes in a green version that is far better for spring turkey hunting and other hunting when green is still predominate.

If you want to PM me and tell me ONE advantage the ASAT suit has over the Kill Suit in Digital Desert camo I am open to hearing - but I am very familiar with ASAT and predator which I have owned and used both.

I can tell you this suit outperforms them in every scenario I have been in (from elk hunting to deer hunting).  But if you really want to test your camo - call coyotes while sitting in the middle of an open field - nothing except perhaps birds have sharper vision and no game animal is better at detecting movement and if you think your ASAT leaf suit will fool coyotes while totally exposed....well I've tried it and the Kill Suit is only camo besides a traditional brown ghillie that has allowed me to CONSISTENTLY pull that off.

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
Desert Camo Kill Suit

Woodland Kill Suit

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
Better pics I hope.  Suits are made from 100% digital camo mesh - weighs about 2 pounds, compacts into a space about 7 inches square---- so you can decide for yourself how this compares, or out performs ASAT leafy wear.... and yes the cost is $59.00 for the entire suit and a carrying bag.  I know which one I will be wearing this Fall.... my ASAT has long since been retired.

Originally posted by DaveT1963:

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »
Better pics I hope.  Suits are made from 100% digital camo mesh - weighs about 2 pounds, compacts into a space about 7 inches square---- so you can decide for yourself how this compares, or out performs ASAT leafy wear.... and yes the cost is $59.00 for the entire suit which includes pant, jacket with hood/facemask and a strip to camo gun/bow and a carrying bag.  I know which one I will be wearing this Fall.... my ASAT has long since been retired.

[/b]

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
sorry tried to edit orignal not sure why is keeps reposting

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
Dave,

I know you mentioned several times that the KillSuit is more effective with breaking up the outline of a human body than the ASAT 3D leafy so I wonder if you can further explain what you mean? Is it because of the hood that comes with KillSuit or what exactly?

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
No it is because of the long strips - the ASAT and most leafy suits have little leave cutouts but they do little do actually break up the human outline. Look at the pics and see how the longer strips do a much better/more effective job (do you see head, arms, legs, shoulders, etc...). Same basic concept as a ghillie but made with mesh material so you don't have all the problems (weight, snagging) that you have with traditional ghillie.

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
double post

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline quail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2014, 05:55:00 PM »
Where do you find those to order from. They look like the cat's pajamas!

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
Dave, thank you for posting this info. I will be buying a Woodland Sapper. I was going to make my own out of Max 1 fabric pieces. Just one question, is it real quiet?

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
And how hot is it?

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
Hey guys I live in upstate NY and it can get pretty cold in the fall deer season especially when you don't move all day. Wondering how you colder weather guys layer up under these suits for long sits?
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
The kill suit looks good but I wouldn't be able to stand those long strands hanging off me everywhere unless I was hunting wih the gun.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
Dave thanks for your input on coyotes, killed plenty myself, it's their nose I fear more than their eyesight.

I'm also happy for you, you have found a product you believe in.  My original statement had to do with ME and where and how I hunt.  If you'd like to carry an additional two pounds around with you that's fine, I'll pass  

It might be green in the spring where YOU hunt, not where I do. That's ok I guess you've got a different kill suit for All Seasons and All Terrains.  

Stefan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©