3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FINDING WOUNDED DEER WITH DOGS !!!!  (Read 899 times)

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
FINDING WOUNDED DEER WITH DOGS !!!!
« on: February 05, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
I'm looking for a "BLOOD TRAILING DOG" (PUP)to blood train wounded deer! I also need info on books ,vidios, or sites that could help teach. Whats the best dog for this ?????  Thanks for Your help ...Jeff
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FINDING WOUNDED DEER WITH DOGS !!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
No better breed than a Lab...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Sat. the 23rd.I shot a doe and made a bad hit.I left the camp to get my yellow lab the next morning after a couple hours he found it with not a drop of blood.I have a thread on it "Bad shot no blood but sonny" and he posted on the highlight section if you are intrested in the story.I am a firm beliver in using dogs with no blood train especially in palmettoes where I hunt and I trained him as a pup to follow deer blood with a weiner as a reward.This deer was going to die for sure with a gut shot so I knew I had to find it.Kip

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
Just about any dog properly trained can follow a blood trail. I have German Drathar that has a great nose but they are a little pricey.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Do a search, plenty of good threads about this subject...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Check into weiner dogs.  There are some threads about some long hairs that are bred for blood trailing. We taught our old weiner dog to Pheasant hunt.  He would go in under brush the other dogs would go around.  He flushed a lot of pheasants during his lifetime.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
The name of the book you want is "Tracking Dogs for finding Wounded Deer" by John Jeanneney.  I think you can buy it at  www.born-to-track.com.

My lab has found 11 deer and 4 bear.  Most of it due to the book.  

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
Got a six month old lab from a trainer about two weeks ago - gonna work him to blood but his main focus will be birds. He is a started dog that is making training easy! (thank the Lord, cause I amnot that good!LOL)

Am starting him onblood that I got from a hog killin the other week. Tip I got from the tradgang was to dilute the blood just to make it last longer - and the watery blood from store bought steaks works as well. Makes the supply last alot longer - whoever that was THANKS.

last day of deer season helped a guy track one down and I wish we wouldv'e had a dog at that point in time! man was that a rough track.

Luck everyone

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Jeff

Do as Todd suggests and get John's book, it is a great resource and gives great information on breeds, training, handler motivation etc etc.

As Curt suggests, look at past threads - several guys around here are seriously into this - I have posted several times about our pup this fall/winter as well.

My wife and I had been thinking a long time about a tracking dog and did A BUNCH of research before getting our pup.  We went the Dachshund route (they are used VERY extensively in Europe for tracking) and were very careful with our choice of breeder to be sure to get a dog with good hunting/blood tracking bloodlines.  There are a handful of breeders in the US serious about blood tracking dachshunds (or Teckels as they are called in Germany and France).

Be aware, developing a good tracking dog is a huge commitment, and be honest with yourself about how much time and effort you are willing to invest.  You might be able to have a tracking dog and put him on 2 or 3 deer a year and be OK.  To fully develop your animal, though, most people that are serious about tracking do way more tracks than that and give up substantial hunting time for it.

I know there are several folks with dogs in Ohio - you might want to contact one and meet thier dog and discuss this with them as well.  I may be travelling to Zanesville, OH in the next couple weeks as the lady that bred our dog is delivering a pup to the area and I'd be glad to meet you there and talk more if not too far for you to drive.

We couldn't be happier with our little buddy and he's verging on spoiled (sleeps in the bed)   ;)  .  I'm really glad we put in all the groundwork beforehand and got the right dog for us.

Ryan

Offline Bmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
There will be a blood tracking workshop in Southern Michigan (Marshall) May 15-16.  The 17th there will be a tracking test.  Here is a link to more info.

http://borntotracknews.blogspot.com/2010/01/upcoming-blood-tracking-workshop-ubt.html

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
There will also be a tracking dog/hunting workshop in North Carolina in March.  Search the web for "F3 Hunting Workshop" and you'll get details about that one.

Ryan

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
Great story Kip. Way to go! I'll use a track dog in a heartbeat!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
I have had two labs that I trained to track. The last dog I did a much better job with and he recovered around 65 deer for me. I guess I bragged on him to much as some one stole him. From a personal note the only problem I found with a good dog is that I nearly lost the ability to trail myself, and "was" considered a pretty good tracker. It makes for a stress free hunt even in hard rain. You know that dog will bail you out.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
I had an old black and tan coon dog my neighbor a coon hunter gave me. He would run deer and a coonhunter hates that. He found a lot of deer for me and friends. Even when I had good blood I would go get him and let him trail. He loved it and I loved to hear him moan and howl. Deeeepp voice that was music.That being said I think I would go with a smaller dog. The hound would drag me through briars and have me bloody in thick country.But finding a deer that would have been lost was worth it.RC

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by NDTerminator:
No better breed than a Lab...
i agree they are hard to beat!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
Thanks ..... I also heard Labs are great "ANTLER FINDERS" too!  :)
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline flingingwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
I remember growing up we had a rat terrier on the farm. That dog would always follow a blood trail of a Deer, can't say we ever worked with her to get her to do it, but she was raised with me as I grew up squirrel hunting.
Glad to back in the Good Ole USA!

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
I,ve got a black bab that I use for duck hunting, everytime I  would bring a deer gome it would go crazy over it. I started taking him and putting him on deer that I knew I made a good shot on and he started finding them and just gets  better every time. He has found several that probably would not have been recovered. Now I have people calling me to find their deer.
bolong

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
My wife and I breed Duchshunds and I've yet to have one that won't trail anything you put them on.
They don't need specific training for it,just a  gentle start to give them the basic idea an their away.
The best of them are our wirehairs,their a little tougher and quite a bit more calm an steady about things than the standard smoothes.
Really,any good nose/hound/bird type dog will work at it because it's just in their nature to track/find/retrieve ect.
I start my pups by tying a deer hock to the line on a long surf casting rod,then drag it along the ground 16 feet or so along the ground parallel to me.
give it about 20 yards an leave a small bit of venison at the end of the trail.
I then put the pup on the start of the trail and encourage him or her to track it.
Pups that don't get the idea straight away,will work it out if I get an older dogs to do it while they watch.
I keep all the rear hocks from most deer I take,an let the dogs have them as chew toys ect.
The hocks have both the interdigital an tarnsal glands on them,and it's mostly that scent the dogs work "rather than an actual blood trail.
The gentleman that got me started with trailing/tracking dogs would put the tarnsel glands in a blender,mix with about 75% water an store the mixture in his fridge for later use.
He'd then lightly soak a drag rag with it an use the rag the same way I use the hocks.
I find working with the dogs to be just as enjoyable as the actual hunt,,,sometimes more so.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
In an emergency, just leash up what you have and give it a try.  You've already failed to find the critter so the dog isn't going to screw anything up.  I've successfully used my Boykin 4 times.  I keep her on a leash or she'd be down the trail too fast for me to follow.  

When she finds the deer, she goes whacky.  Growls, snarls, runs in and bites the carcass.  All the time I'm praising her and getting her more excited.  

I want her to know she's done good.  I don't know why she doesn't trail deer when we're out after birds.  Could have to do with the shock collar.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©