3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Comparison  (Read 398 times)

Offline Nick559

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Comparison
« on: February 05, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
I'm getting back into Traditional Archery after a few years off from shoulder surgeries and I'd like some recommendations on bows and arrows.  I have three now that I can't use because of the pounds and ordering new limbs costs as much or more than most good used bows.  If anyone out there has any thoughts on these bows that I've been looking at I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm interested in recurves, takedown or one piece, such as the Blacktail Elite, Brackenbury(s), Great Plains, Assenheimer(s), Cascade(s) and the Black Widow lines.  I've owned these in the past (still do) and am wondering what's out there.

Mostly for hunting and maybe some Traditional 3D and of course practice, practice and more practice.  Quite, stable and smooth are more important than speed (of course).  I'm looking at 62" in length at around 50# and 29 inches.

Any thoughts and recommendations?
Thanks!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Comparison
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Add ACS to the list and they are all winners.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Black Widow PSA X 62in its the best shooting bow i have ever shot, period.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Yep you can add a ACS to the list.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Nick559

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
How about arrows available today?

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Many good arrow choies available today, some may say too many!

Very abbreviated carbon list:

Arrow Dynamics
Carbon Express
Carbon Tech
Gold Tip
Easton
Beeman

All are good ones!

Dusty

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
My choice for consistency,quality and field hardness is Carbon Express Heritage Classic 90's or 150's.Ya just can't go wrong with them!

Your Bow choices look solid!

Offline Nick559

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
Thanks for the info on the arrows.  I'll check the online selector(s) and see what pops up.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
Robertson ?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline summit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
Morrison is the best in my opinion

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
Add Dale Dye bows and ACS bows to your list.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline MikeBurns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
Bruin!!
Sgt USMC '80-'87

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
There are no "bests" that can fit everyone's idea of best.  Don't get caught into, "the best is the most expensive" idea, because that is not so.

What you need to do is shoot some of the bows available nowadays, and there is a ton of them. Just look at the tradgang classifieds, and you can find a lot of high dollar bows for sale; if you just have to have one of them, that would be a place to start.

If you have an open mind, look at all the offerings out there....including lesser known, but well designed bows, and you will be better off in the end by getting a bow that works "best" for you.

I won't even tell you a brand name I would suggest.....it may lead to a bad marriage.  Look around and shoot a bunch.

Offline Lil Red

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
Being from MO. I'd talk to the guys at Black Widow. You can try out a few bows be for you buy one. Mike

Offline jomama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Zippers would be a great choice.

Offline Nick559

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Thanks Red, I did.  I had a Black Widow.  I shot it better than most any other I had at the time.  My brother has it now collecting dust in his basement.  If I can trade something else to him I'll do it and look for some other limbs.  I'd order limbs for my Brack (2 year wait) or my Cascade but then for the same cost I could probably buy a great used bow.  I just need something in the 50# range nowadays and any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
Although one bow may "fit" a person better than another, the monkey behind it is what makes the difference.  Any good archer can shoot most any bow well.

I agree that cost doesn't make a bow.  I've shot (and owned) expensive bows that were very nice, and I've shot expensive bows that, to me, weren't worth $5.  The adage "you get what you pay for" doesn't always apply to bows.  

A friend of mine payed through the nose for a bow that had twisted limbs from the start, and the bowyer won't warranty it.  One of the less expensive custom bows on the market has one of the better warranties, and the bowyer stands behind it 100%.  'Course these aren't always the case--point being is check each one out for yourself, and don't accept word of mouth as a guarantee (that's the mistake my friend made).

If you aren't sure, my bet is you'll do better buying used.  Some bowyers warranty their bows after they change hands, some don't--you might take that into consideration.  At least if you get a bow that doesn't suit you, chances are you can get your money back or close to it vs. taking a 25%-50% loss as is common when selling a bow you bought new.

Good luck,

Chad

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
You can also try to trade your limbs for something that you like most.It doesn't cost more than the shipping.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Nick559

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
That's true and I've thought about that.  However I can't make any posts for that yet pursuant to the new rules.  I haven't been a member long enough.  
Thanks.

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 01:50:00 AM »
If you get the chance check out the Fox High Sierra. That said, George and Chad are correct. Each of us has our likes and dislikes and the price you pay for a bow does not gauranty that you will like it. Try as many as you can before your purchase.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©