3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Too long a longbow?  (Read 413 times)

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Too long a longbow?
« on: April 19, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
I shoot a 60" recurve but am thinking about a 66" Border Griffin longbow (thanks Pete)!  :)  Too long to hunt with from a treestand etc.? It is available in 64" but Sid recommends the 66" as smoother, more forgiving. Of course he likes my Border Swift as better for hunting but I might just go with the longbow (once I get proficient) if you more experienced longbow guys think 66" is OK for my New England woods/treestand hunting.

Thanks!

Steve
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too long a longbow?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
I use a 66" longbow. As long as your aware of any branches which might need to be trimmed I can't see any problem. Where there is a will there is a way.
make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
I have a 70" that I use out of a treestand. I hunt mainly in NY.

One thing I would suggest doing though is to practice out the treestand so you know what will work and what will not. You don't want to find out at the moment of truth. I often times practice crouching and canting (a lot) while shooting from the stand.

Offline Stix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
A mechanical engineer at my employer once came up with a formula for determining the most efficient longbow length based upon length of limb, riser length, draw length, poundage, and a bunch of other variables. For me, a 64" longbow came up best, with a 57lb@28" bow, a 28" draw, and the length of riser and limbs of the bow. I'll try to dig up the formula. But it worked right because the bow I have is fast, smooth and virtually no hand shock.
Stix

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©