3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads  (Read 593 times)

Offline Nick559

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads
« on: February 05, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
I'm getting back into hunting Traditional style.  What's out there that flies good, works right after the impact and is reasonable in costs for non-mechanicals for deer out to 30 yards?

Offline Nick559

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Forgot to ad replaceable blades and non-replaceable blades.
Sorry.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
most any cut on contact broadhead will get the job done on deer if the broadheads are sharp, the arrows have good flight, and your accuracy is consistent.  reread this over and over    :readit:  

you will undoubtedly get a gazillion replies about 'what broadhead is best' but just loop back up to my first sentence and do have fun.  :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
get some new grizzlies. I love em
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
be aware of single bevel broadheads such as grizzlies - they are fine broadheads byt are meant to work best if the bevel is compatible with the wing of your feather fletches!

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
most any cut on contact broadhead will get the job done on deer if the broadheads are sharp, the arrows have good flight, and your accuracy is consistent.  reread this over and over     :readit:    

you will undoubtedly get a gazillion replies about 'what broadhead is best' but just loop back up to my first sentence and do have fun.   :)  
X2

It's personal preference really.  Some like two blade and some like three etc. etc.  Just take the info Rob gave and find a head you like that fits your set up.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
In replaceable blades I like Stingers a lot.
My favourite head is the old Bear glue on Razorhead, an that's more a romance/history type of thing for me anyway.
I just love saying "I just shot that critter with a 30 year old broadhead made by Mr Bear himself,,,maybe a little of poetic licence there,but it sounds good to me ;^)
After that,,,well just about their all of them pretty good.
Rob really just said all you need to know,,,all the rest is just personal preferance.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline mountain trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
I am VERY please with my Abowyers.  I haven't killed any thing with them yet but I have stuck a brown bear all the way through a dead 800# angus at twenty yards with a 50# longbow.  They fly like darts!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
ANY of our sponsors (see top of page and sponsor list in drop down) will have a good assortment of the best trad heads money can buy.

Start by browsing there.

Might add that the Woodsman broadhead is just about foolproof and covers the criteria you offered.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Hill broadheads.Cant beat the flight.IMO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Simmons boadheads for me.LCH

Offline Nick559

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Everyone is right about one thing, if they are a sponsor here, they have a following here.  I used to shoot the old Cam Lock Wasps and Thunderhead 125's.  I'm just looking for good arrow flight and decent performance.
Thanks.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nick559:
Everyone is right about one thing, if they are a sponsor here, they have a following here.  I used to shoot the old Cam Lock Wasps and Thunderhead 125's.  I'm just looking for good arrow flight and decent performance.
Thanks.
ya suckered me in.  i'll second what charlie said - woodsman heads fly great and can make big exit holes in deer.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
I wan to add that the new grizzlies are better than the old. Ie easier to file cuz they are already at the best angle. They also keep an edge. I put one through a turkey and it still popped hair. Thanks for the bevel reminder rob
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
for the money magnus are a great choice, I have killed several animals with the two blade, have a few snuffers that fly great but have trouble getting them sharp enough.  I just bought some woodsmans and have them shaving sharp already but haven't been able to shoot them yet but don't expect trouble.

The stinger's are good for replaceables and muzzy has a reputuation there as well.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Well, if you do this for awhile, you will probably try alot of them. That's the fun part!

Confidence that you can get a razor edge, and maintain it, along with great flight, goes along way. All the solid heads available, will do the job, if you do your part!

As for replacement type, I don't think there's any better than the Thunderheads.

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Most any cut on contact broadhead WITHOUT MOVING PARTS!
They all have their following and for the most part, they all work if they are sharp!
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
Remember the original impact broadhead with the little brass razor blades?  I shot a 250 pound buck with one.  One blade hung up and broke off in the hair at entry, one was between ribs in the rib cage, and the last one was chipped down to just a piece agout 1/8" high and 1/4" long that went through the heart.  The buck only went a few yards and went down. If I would not have hit the heart I do not believe I would have recovered the deer, stay away from anything that can break up on impact.  I have killed deer with almost every standard two blade from the 60s up to the Grizzlies of today.  I would say if you have any doubts simply go with a standard two blade and and know that if it is sharp enough it will do a better job than the old impact did or any weak broadhead that does not have the strength to survive the impact of the hit.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Any of the Ace line of broadheads will do the trick at a very reasonable cost.  They are the oldest production broadheads still being made and still work great.  I'm kinda partial to the 165 gr Express.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Nick559

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
Actually, about 15 to 20 or so years ago I took part in a study where most all of the available broadheads available at the time were studied and tested for initial cutting ability and initial penetration.  Carefully selected and measured hides and test control media (for uniformity) were tested with a pressure measuring device to measure initial penetration on impact and measured in foot/lbs per square inch.  This was done with and without rotational forces applied.  If I can locate the copy of that data I will publish it here on TradGang.com.

Of course, almost all of the available broadheads available at the time are no longer made with the exception of the old standbys like Bear Razorheads and Zwickys.  

I've been bowhunting since 1976 and have seen everything from the spectacular to the miserable in broadhead performance except for the last few years.

What I really need is flight and planing data along with cost effectiveness to aid in my selection.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming, I'm taking notes.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©