3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads  (Read 594 times)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
Forget spending hours sharpening stubborn heads, get some STOS you will love them! A little touch up out of the package and you are ready to go.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
I use 125 grain Magnus II broadheads with my woodies. For my aluminum arrows I use 150 grain Magnus Stingers.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline goblism

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
been pretty impressed at my tuskers, and the price cannot be beat.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
Your going to get every Cut-on-contact BH listed..
Muzzys, grizzies, Magnus and the list goes on. You also have 2, 3 and 4 blades to pick from. Lets not forget trade points or even Knapped points ( glass, stone ) or Bone. Some States You can only use Metal points.

Read some of the threads and see what everyone is using and that may help you pick which type/style/weight BH You want to try. You can also try and trade other for BH's...

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
STOS
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
I agree with every body!!, I think that I've tried almost all of them it seems.  I don't think that I've had a problem with any of them.  For a replaceable head, I like the stingers and the phantoms, but I've only have experience with the older phantoms, that were 145grns(I think).  right now, I've settled on the woodsmen and the magnus II's for good flight and ease of sharpening.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
Oh, I've never tried STOS, but my buddy has, and they too are strong, easy to sharpen and fly well out of his set up.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Truth be told if you have good arrow flight and a bow that's at least 45# at your draw weight, pretty much any 2-4 blade fixed blade COC or modern replacable blade will do the job just fine on deer.

When it comes to Trad & deer sized game using fixed blade broadheads is probably as much or more about tradition & romance than anything else.  Fred Eichler bumped off the Trad Slam and if I recall correctly, did in most (if not all) of the species with Muzzy Phantoms.
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Chalk up another one for STOS. I shoot the 145 grain.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Nick559

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
NDTerminator is right about the romance and tradition.  Seeing the broadhead is half of the fun.  No romance in a mechanical.

Offline 684Kevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Magnus Snuffers are a great performing broadhead and a good value.  Easy to re-sharpen and not a big downer when you damage/destroy one due to their cost. Typically six pack for less than $30.

Offline Nick559

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
How do they fly out to 30 yards?

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Nick559:
NDTerminator is right about the romance and tradition.  Seeing the broadhead is half of the fun.  No romance in a mechanical.
Amen, bro.  There's something about seeing that two blade Magnus or 3 blade Snuffer that I sharpened & stropped with my own  fiendish hands up front at full draw...   :D
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
And what brings to mind deer season any better than clicking a bleeder blade into place on a Bear "greenie" Razorhead?
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline davesonic444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
I've been kicking around ideas as to which broadhead for a long time and recently decided to use nothing but magnus heads due to their unconditional waranty.Any head damaged can be replaced no questions asked,just send them the old head.

Offline JF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
Hard to beat the eclipse, you can shoot it 2 or 4 blade, what ever you prefer.John

Offline Nick559

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
A warranty on a broadhead.  What will they think of next?  I guess its not like those old knife warranties for loss too?  That would be too good to be true.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
I am very impressed with the woodsmans and do prefer to tanto the point to a pretty good chisel instead of the needle point.Theyll all do a good job for you if you double lung them and take good shots.Really breaks my heart to see alott of modern guys shooting such teenie lite broadheads and shooting animals so far away.Oh well,itits industry driven .Oh yea,You cant beat a good old zwickey,any model.Kind of a pain to sharpen,but penetrating killing motorscooters.Chanumpa

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
I would go with Montecs, they are solid steel and I personally think they are better than Snuffers.

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
magnus
Richard Battistoni

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©