3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how much time I got left ?  (Read 828 times)

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how much time I got left ?
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Great Topic Mark! And so many wonderful posts. We all can see that you fell in love with Traditional Archery... So Did We! Not just for hunting but for shooting all year round. Get yourself to some of those Trad Shoots. You'll see plenty of gray hair on them fellas and gals alike.

... mike ...  :archer:  ...

PS... See ya at the 2010 JLMBH!  :jumper:
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Vern Struble will be 90 in May and he hunted last fall.  He also just got put in the Oregon 4H hall of fame for teaching archery to kids for 45 years.

I'm 62 and will continue my pursuits of critters this fall.  

I find my desire to hunt with my longbow one of the things that keeps me exercising.  I know if I don't I won't be hunting the mountains this fall and I'm going to put that sad day off as long as possible.

Offline Pothole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
I'm just starting in trad archery.  I'm 53.  I've been bow hunting for about 15 years but, this is my first rodeo with trad.  I hope I can get at least 40 more. Maybe by then I'll be able to hit the target.  LOL

Offline lucky strike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2010, 06:16:00 AM »
I'll be 65 -Only have 2 problems
1-had to go from 60 to 52 on the longbow-and shooting better now than ever
2-having trouble with my electric razor-skin's getting a little rubbery.
Well at least I don't have to hit the head to often.!
LS

Offline Bob Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
I'm 72 and still hunt 70-80 days a year. Enjoy it.
Bowhunting is not just a way of life, it is also fun.

Offline ishisaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
I am 63 and still hunt 4 to 5 states and over 80 days a year.  In comparison to some of friends on this post I am still a kid.  Your just getting started. Better late than never and best of luck to all of you.

Mike
Michael

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
I am 63 and have been bowhunting since 1957, I have suffered a stroke 2 years ago and had a bad setback last year in Mi while deer hunting. I plan on hunting Mi and Ga this year only hunting along old logging trails and pop up ground blinds. I intend to hunt till I can not get into the woods either alone or with someones help to my blind. Have fun GOOD LORD willing you have a LOT OF YEARS of hunting left.
Dave
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
I'll be 57 next month. One of the philosophies I live by is that "Man does not live by bread alone"-part of that interpretation to me is to have dreams and to pursue those dreams.

I have spent a lifetime in the Canadian bush, yet I am still looking forward to having more of, and all kinds of, outdoor adventures.

No one knows how much time we have left, but I like thinking that I am a participant in life and not a spectator.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
i'll be 63 in may and just suffered a shoulder injury from a slip on a frosty deck in nov. Hope ill be able to turkey hunt in April. I've found that as I age that I now hunt slower and better. I see a lot more game.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
You are just getting a good start on this deal.  Get one of the game carts and go hunting.  Age is a state of mind and physical fitness. Exercise and eat food made by God not food made by man. Make long term plans and go hunt often.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
You guys are all awesome and I love hearing all these storys  :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :goldtooth:  

Weres the starter of this thread?? Maybe he went out for a run or got some wieghts and started getting in shape for the next season  :D  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
Bjorn, I like that picture...

I am still cruising the brush at 60... and still just as passionate.... ( about archery)
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Matt_Potter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
One of my best memories was all but carrying my grandfather into a turkey blind when he was 86.

My daughter and I made the blind for him and he killed the last turkey he ever shot out of it.

He couldn't get his own shoes on but, by god it was turkey season and he was going hunting.

Getting old is in the mind - just read all these posts.

Matt

Offline Scott Squires

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
I just turned 59 and until last year had not shot a bow for 30 years. I started last year with a Mathews compound bow. It is amazingly accurate and powerful, but it just did not feel right for me. I purchased a Bear Grizzly and Montana Longbow and they feel great! Ordered 3Rivers wood arrows and have found my comfort zone again. It took me about 4 months to get my old muscles back in shape. I started at 45# and have stayed with it and I am glad I did. It has been a good weight for me to pull. In my early years I was pulling 65# and looking back it was too much for me then. I have found that the lower weight has allowed me to have better form and I am shooting far more accurately.

Scott

Offline larryh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
i'm turned 75 last fall. still hunt, climb, pack my own meat out etc..
also still farm, do all my cow work horseback, and change a mile of 40' handlines every day all summer.
just don't let yourself rust, your body or brain!

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by larryh:
i'm turned 75 last fall. still hunt, climb, pack my own meat out etc..
also still farm, do all my cow work horseback, and change a mile of 40' handlines every day all summer.
just don't let yourself rust, your body or brain!
Larry, hat off to you!

You gave us the best advise right there   :thumbsup:    

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
I am 55 which isn't to bad yet , my main problem is I am stuck in a wheelchair , this aint gonna stop me I shoot at a indoor range 2 - 3 times a week and have gotten my ATV set up to hunt on it. I shot a doe last year and I normaly have no problems seeing game in my range they just do not always give me right shot. You got along time to go!!    

Keep pluging away MARK  :thumbsup:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
Your'e 51?
how much time you have left? to do what??
I think you should give up now and send us all your "stuff"
I do not think you have a lot of time left for anything, take this for what it's worth my friend, please look at some of the replies here and if YOU think your'e done at 51 then I guess you must be getting awfull close.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
I'm 66 and still pulling the same weight I did in my 20s.  I work out and try to stay healthy despite a bypass 2 years ago.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Since death is always just at arms length, and can tap us at any moment-  The important thing is to just get out there and use what time we may have, in some meaningful way.  Some guys spend more days in the  field in single season than others do in a decade.  I'am 63 and don't hunt anymore, though I shoot daily.  Iam perfectly capable of hunting,but have choosen other interests.  Between the ages of 40 and 60, I averaged about 100days hunting per season. Id have to say that although Iam in fairly good shape, at the age of 63, I know that Mule deer hunting or Elk in elevations above 8500ft. very taxing.  This would not have been true 5 or 6yrs. ago.  I say, if you have a desire for this mountainous hunting--do it sooner rather than later.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©