3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pig Gig Update  (Read 1746 times)

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pig Gig Update
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »

This is our one and only Robtattoo.  Rob said something that made an impression on me.  Made me grateful again to have been born in this country.  Thanks, Rob, for the reminder.

TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »

This photo was interesting to me because it's a limestone slab that was cantilevered over the river.  A coyote walked out on it to look downriver.  Always curious, always searching, continuously looking for an angle on a meal.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
Great story. Thanks for sharing with us!  :campfire:    :)
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Looks like a great time fellows!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Great story Woody! It was nice to finally meet you. It'll be tomorrow before I get any of my pics posted...
Skyler
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
great pic, i will be there the 1st with the fam..ous Dalton Gang Welcome to Texas in Feb. the coldest and dryes in the year,, maybe
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Dadgum this fire in m' living room feels nice!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
robtatto, if you can't run with the Gig Dogs get off the pourch..
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
Great stories and pix so far, thanks Woody!! Still missing not going this year, sounds like another great time with great folks!! Looking forward to the rest of the stories!!

Karen didn't care for Sky's pic with a couple a little ol rattlers though...  ;)
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by oldgoat:
robtatto, if you can't run with the Gig Dogs get off the pourch..
And if you can't learn to spell Bob, stay off the keyboard.

;)  

To quote Scots comedian Billy Connelly "There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes."

Once again, I had a a fantastic time in Texas (I really ought to have just moved there!) Yeah, it was cold & wet, but as usual the friendships were warm & the humor dry.
This was a trully liberating hunt, being able to take whatever I wanted, rather than being limited to the 50# flying limit.
I don't really have many stories from this year. I had a couple of good stalks & made a couple of no so good shots. Walked my tail off, drove 374 miles off-road, drove 80+ miles through Louisiana with only 1 tire on a 2-wheel trailer, spent 3 days sweating over a hot stove, only to forget to pack all the food I cooked (Thanks Vance    :goldtooth:   ) I met some new friends & re-kindled friendships from years gone by. I finally came to the realisation that I can no longer live without one of Whip's teepee/wood burner combinations & that the head of R&D for Coleman tents should be flayed alive (4 season my ass!) Watched 1 fully grown & 2 semi-grown (but fully mature) men go running headlong after a heard of equally fully grown hogs whilst almost wetting myself laughing  missed clean underneath one of them with Don. Sky & Chase watching. As soon as the arrow was off the string they were up & running after the other 6 in the sounder! Funny stuff!)

All in all, a VERY enjoyable & hugely memorable hunt.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
you are right Rob, all in all it sounds like all good hunts, a good time was had by all. Looking forward to the 1st.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
I'm in with Rob on the Whip tent, lol. Very cold in Texas this time around. I rode and camped with Rob and was lucky to have had such good company. This was no hunt for sissies, lol. It was really pretty incredible to have had such conditions and no whiners. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Rob's truck was probably the most formidible in camp and he was most generous in seeing that anyone who needed it had help in and out of their respective areas. I was lucky, got a pig on the first of only two sunny mornings and left one in the mesquite on the last day as time ran out. I'm still counting my blessings for having been lucky enough to hook up with these guys, all of them, for the last few years and can't wait for the next Tradgang expedition. I'd like to give a huge "Thanks" to everyone in camp. What could have been a disaster was one of the best times ever. Rob- a special note of gratitude to you, a better hunting companion couldn't be found.   Grant

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
No, it wasn't the weather that we all had in mind when we sent in our deposits for this hunt.  Sandstorms last year, snowstorms this year - it may seem that this group is cursed somehow.

But the reality is that minor inconveniences are no threat what-so-ever to the finest group of bowhunters I have ever had the pleasure to be around.  I've had the outstanding fortune to share previous campfires with a many of the participants from this years hunt.  I count each of them among my closest friends, and looked forward to seeing them all again as much or more than the hunting itself.

This year also brought the chance to share a camp with some people I have been looking forward to meeting for a long time.  Curt, Don, Skyler, Chase, Chris, Tom, and Matt were all new faces to me.  What a treat to finally have the chance to meet each and every one of you in person!

As Grant said, there wasn't a whiner to be found although the conditions could easily have brought that out from lesser men.  Not in this group.  If anything, it brought us closer together, and this is a hunt that will stick vividly in the memory banks.  Unless your name is Thomas Burns(that man is a World Class Hog Killer!) hogs were hard to come by, but I don't think that bothered anyone in the group.  

The hogs were there - the conditions simply made things difficult.  But that's what hunting is all about, and each and every one of these guys are fine hunters and well understand that is just the way it works sometimes.  

What I will remember from this trip were the new friendships made, old ones renewed, evening meals shared, coffee pots brewing in the morning, and a constant flow of friends ducking into the tent for a quick warm up.  The outstanding display of artistry and workmanship on the trade blanket, and the deep belly laughs and good natured ribbing that abounded all throughout the week.  Those are the things that will stick in my mind.

Yeah, I guess it did rain and snow some.  Warmer temperatures would have been enjoyable.  But whatever adversity might face us on the next hunt together, I know for a fact that it will not bring these guys down.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Joe,I think you pretty much summed it up.  :thumbsup:  I just can't figure out who in camp could be bringing such a weather curse to our group?  :rolleyes:  Any witch docters in the house?This spell has to be cast out.This one will certainly go down in the history books.I enjoyed every second of it.
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Smiley and I were talking about that too Mike.  All I can say is that this was my fifth Texas hunt and Smiley's second.  
My first three trips had wonderful weather.  
He has had a sand storm on his first trip and now a snow storm on his second.  
Coincidence???  :readit:  
  :p  
  :biglaugh:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
Yea, I think it was Smiley's fault...must have been that dress he was wearing every evening.  :scared:

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing guys. Sounds like a truly great time was had by all.

Love seeing TX pics!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
We're uploading too PhotoBucket as we type. Ton's of Pics coming soon.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Can't blame it on me now  ;)  Sure would have been great to get to hang with all you great guys!! But I learned a long time ago you can't do it all ;(

Keep it coming, looking forward to all the great stories and pics, Karen said no more of yours Sky  ;)
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©