3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tents--Cabela's Outback lodge or Extreme teepee?  (Read 448 times)

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tents--Cabela's Outback lodge or Extreme teepee?
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Any experience with either of these?  Pros or cons?  I like the look of the Extreme Teepee.

The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tents--Cabela's Outback lodge or Extreme teepee?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
I've heard before you can easily get wet in an Outback.

Offline knd2970

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
I have the outback. It is a nice tent and sets up quick. The only problem is the door design. If it rains the inside of the tent is going to get wet as soon as you open the door..
Turkey Creek Longbow 48# 28"
Bear Super Mag 50#
Bear Grizzly 50#
Bear Kodiak Mag 65#

“True Old-School Woodsmanship!”

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Well, it would appear that that would be true of any tent with a slanting side where the door is--including the Extreme Teepee above.  I'm looking for an easy to erect tent with good stability and, of course, dry!  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Where ya pitchin' it and when?
I am assuming that a stand-up-and-putcher-pants-on type tent is what you are looking for.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Killie, I will use it mostly for campground trips--especially ATAR, ya' know and u sually in spring to fall.  My wife likes one she can get her cot in and be able to stand up in.  I don't need the stand up feature as much--already have a small 4-person tent that suits me when it's me and the grandson.  Any suggestions?  I would probably use it for some hunts as well........Dave

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
For dry and comfortable, I haven't owned any better than a Cabela's Alaskan Guide. Putting it up by myself is a bear, though, so I went looking for a "summer shoot" tent that would give me good ventilation and room for my husband. It had to be something that I could put up by myself.

I was using a Eureka Timberline 4, and liked it well enough when it was just me in a single bag. Add the hubby and a dawgg, and it is too small.

I was torn between the Timberline 6 and the Eureka Sunrise 11. I knew that the Timberline would go up easily, but really wanted the vestibule that the T4 had. They don't seem to make it for the 6.

To make up for the lost space, I got the Sunrise 11. It is not as much tent as the Timberline, in that it is not a 4 season tent, and has only one door, but for my purposes it does the job. For the fourth season, I am in the Alaskan Guide, and most times my husband is there to help put it up.

It has a lot of room and VERY good ventilation. It goes up fast and I do it all alone. The only drawbacks have been that I needed to spray some Camp-Dry on the corner seams because they seeped a little last ATAR. Remember last ATAR? Some dude started building an ark...

The other drawback is that the fly does not give full coverage, and yes, you may get a little rain in when you open the door. Not as much as the other two tents you mentioned, though. I set the EZ-Up in front of the door and that helped, but the EZ-Up leaks like a disgruntled congressional page. I am looking into other solutions. Upshot is that with a little silicone spray I have a dry tent that also stays up in stiff winds.

Here are some pics of both of my tents. The Sunrise cost me two hundred after the manufacturer's rebate.

Sunrise 11

Timberline, the small vestibule is on the back side of the tent. And my dog is not skinny anymore.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
LOVE the Outback Lodge.  Yeah, you can get a little wet when you open the door, but you're in a tent, not a house.  My only complaint is that the zipper takes some finesse.  If you rush or force it, it'll jam on you.  However, it's a pretty small complaint in light of the benefits:

1) 1 main pole and four small corner poles (optional), all inside, none require threading through mesh or fabric sleeves.

2) The walls give you much more useable space than the Extreme Teepee, especially when using cots.

3) Great ventilation, including  a roof vent, three windows, and mesh on the door.

4) You can set it up in a pinch without using the center pole.

5)  Smart, well-placed guy lines that keep it taut in the wind/rain.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline pow-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
I know you didn't ask about them but the cabelas guide model tents are bomb proof.  I use them extensively in SE Alaska and they stay dry even in our rains.  A bit spendy but well worth the $$.  Quick and easy to set up too.
Nothing ruins a good hunt like pulling the trigger

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
Well I have the best tipi tent that I know of...light (lighter if you cut your own green center pole too) easy to setup and dry....you can have on open fire in it or wood stove.

Great for winter or summer camping. A true 4 season tent

I have the outfitter one...it's awesome.

www.tipitent.com

Jer Bear

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 03:19:00 AM »
Jerry
i would like to hear more ur tipi, open fire or wood stove
Bull

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
Another option would be the Cabelas Alaknak tent. The best investment I ever made. The 8x8 is perfect for 2 people on cots. I have the 12x12 and we fit 4 on cots before. You can use a wood stove in it or propane. I usuallly opt for propane. Have had it in the mts. of Colorado and it held up beautifully. Just throwing in another one to consider.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
I don't like spending a lot of $ so I go for what I know from being in the Marines and go military surplus.Can't beat canvas tents.IMO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
If you are looking for a canvas tent that is super easy-I'll pass on the erection joke!

This is a Soulpad-haven't used it much yet; but it is a definite keeper.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
If you are looking for a canvas tent that is super easy-I'll pass on the erection joke!

This is a Soulpad-haven't used it much yet; but it is a definite keeper.
Nice looking tent. bjorn, got a web page for em?
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
it is soulpad.com

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
The out bavk is good light weight tent (without the poles) I have used one on/off for about 4 years. I spend alot time in a tent and really like my Cabela's XWT in any weather.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline Foxtail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Second vote for the Soulpad. I ordered one last summer. All cotton, anc very reasonably priced- even considering that it was shipped from the UK. Arrived amazingly quickly. Well designed, and well made. Great product!

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
I've had my Outback Lodge for several years.  Had it in Colorado 3 or 4 years and in Idaho 1 year.  Never had a leak of any kind.  It's been in downpours and snow and not once had a problem.  I think it's a great value.  I do spray mine with scotchguard every year just as a precaution.  Hope this helps.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
hattrick (check out the site) - you can use both I use open fire mostly. I usually am horse back hunting..if I take the pinz I take the stove though.

With the stove or campfire heres' a little trick

I take some barbeque coals with you and throw a handfull in at night keep her running warm all night.

this is waht she looks like setup..

Jer Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©