3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hogs-Continuing education-testing in progress  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Hogs-Continuing education-testing in progress
« on: April 19, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
OK, I really want to take you guys along on these tests in progress. As many of you know I'm overwhelmed with the desire to pursuit hogs with my traditional equipment. After many years in the woods with hogs I've learned a considerable amount but there is so much more to learn about this very elusive and intelligent animal. I do believe the Dominant Boars are the most intelligent animals in the woods with their only weakness being their draw to mating, water and food. Oh yea, SCENT!!!!!!

The dominant boar is rarely taken at a food source simply because of his incredible sences. He won't approach a bait without checking it all the way around first. Well, this has led me to scent testing for several years on everything from vanilla to creosote. Follow me along on more real time in-field testing. We are going to be using several products scent related on rub sites. These sites will be frequented only to rub scents on the hogs themselves. This is especially true of the big dominant boar hogs. He we go....

New to me is a local scent product produced a short distance from where I live. I just recieved my first supply of this product and will try it along with other products I have used before and am trying out for the first time as well. Here is the commercial product without the name.

This can be purchased and used by pouring on a tree stump, wallow, or anywhere a hog can rum himself on it. I have nailed a piece of low pile carpet to a cut stump and placed along a well used hog trail and covered it in this new product.

Next is one of my all new products that I've created simply by mixing a few readily available products together. First I took about a quart of liquid from some month old soured corn and mixed it with equal parts diesel, motor oil, kerosene, and one tube of sticky wheel bearing grease. The kerosene cuts the grease enough that all the products will mix together even though one part is water based. This makes a thick but pourable solution. I placed this mixture on the same type test medium, a cut stump and carpet only in a different location along the hog trail. Here is a picture of the product on the carpet.

Here is the trail that runs through my property a few hundred yards behind the house.

Shhhhhh! Don't tell the neighbor ranchers that I have hogs. They'll try and kill all of them.

OK, The last picture is of a creosote pole I've had along the pig trail.

They actually have trails leading to the pole and have rubbed it for several years. Recent rains moved the pole into a pile of debris but you can tell by the tracks below it that the pigs are still frequenting the pole. I'll be setting trail cameras along each of these test plots and recording and sharing my finding here on Tradgang. Be patient as this thread may run for months as I gather data. This should be fun and entertaining. Sorry for the picture quality. I had a bad setting on my camera. I vow improvment. Thanks for looking.  CK

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs-Continuing education-testing in progress
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
Perhaps we can help you with data while down there for the Dryad bow build/hunt!  Rick

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
Should be very interesting and informative.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
Here is the trail that runs through my property a few hundred yards behind the house.

Thats just so unfair, I don't have one.  :banghead:  

Brent

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
This is great!  I have to have so many CE credits each year for my license renewal.  Now I can get them by taking an Animal Behavior Course from Professor "CK Littlefeather"  :)   Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
im with brent aint fair.ck i love these post keep em coming

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
I still remember those creosote posts on the TXSweat II hunt...rubbed almost in two at the feeders   :scared:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
Good info, keep it coming!
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
Thanks for checking in.

Yes, I already have some scent stations set-up on the ranch where we'll be doing the Dryad Hunt next week. I mixed bacon grease with dirt in a deep hole and I also used the sour corn juice and mixed it the same way. I've already had great success with both of these techniques. Mark Horne and I dug two holes on Feb 15th and filled them back in with corn and bacon grease. The pigs were still hitting those same locations last week and I haven't freshened them since we put them in.

JC, The creosote pole is no secret here in South Texas. Here is a pic of a secret spot I have on one of the ranches.

Notice that the muddy water hasn't settled. This hole gets lots of traffic!
I watched a whole herd of hogs jumping and playing in this waller not two hours after these pics. I have pics of the pigs on my laptop. The pigs are bedding very close to this location and because they don't sweat they will wander in and out of this hole several times during the day to cool off. Many people think that pigs sleep all day. Not true! They have to use water holes to cool themselves throughout the day. This is why August is my favorite month to hog hunt. Hogs become downright easy to hunt in the heat of Summer. You find water and you'll have hogs there every few hours. CK

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
How about posting a "pic of the day" pig pic for a few days? Love to see them.

Hog hunting is so much fun.   ;)
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline ptaylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
Great post. Curtis, I urge you to keep good notes on data and write up a great story for publication. I could see you doing a series of articles on: bait, decoys, calls, set-ups...etc. I for one would be very interested and look forward to this post progressing.

Thanks!!!!

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
this is awesome, thanks for sharing your efforts with the rest of us. i will be folling this thread for sure. wish i had some pigs in my back yard, actually i wish i had a back yard like that. soon, very soon.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »
Ok Ya got my attention...

Oh Charlie, come stand in this stinky stuff, Then I'll help ya wash it off  :goldtooth:

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
ptaylor, Maybe some day. For now we'll tinker with them and learn something together.   :D      :thumbsup:    CK

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Iron Bull:

Oh Charlie, come stand in this stinky stuff, Then I'll help ya wash it off   :goldtooth:  
There's a visual I didn't need!  "[dntthnk]"  

Curtis, this looks like a cool experiment! Thanks!
Norb
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Why creosote?

Offline Islandlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
Looking forward to your continued posting on this Curtis.

Jerry
Procrastination is the thief of time.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Cool post!......This will be a fun one to follow!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
A couple of years ago, a new neighbor told me he baited hogs with corn soaked with diesel.  I thought he was nuts.  Looks like I was the nut...AGAIN!  
Good luck.  Love this thread!
B.
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline hit some miss some

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
One of my neighbors baits his hog traps with corn that has been soaked with diesel. The hogs will go after it, but the deer and coons leave it alone. This way he doesn't catch anything he shouldn't. His hog trap looks like a giant Have-a-Heart trap.
Brian
It's for fun!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©