3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hogs-Continuing education-testing in progress  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs-Continuing education-testing in progress
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »
Results after the first night were simply dismal. The hogs were here but for whatever reason they didn't utilize the rubs I made. Maybe it will take a few days. My concoction got looked at and circled several tims judging by the tracks around it but they did not rub it. The other commercial product went untouched except for this visitor.

Of course my trusty companions were along this morning as they always are when I go out into the brush behind the house. BoBo and Dozer both avoided my concoction but did like the commercial stuff.

They rolled in it where I poured some on the ground yesterday. So, I guess so far we know that a wild hog(tamed) will use the commercial product over my mess. The creosote pole got hit last night the way it has every night for years. I didn't get pics. Simply didn't think about it while I was there. BoBo rubbed on the creosote pole as well as Dozer(little wild hog). Dozer isn't big enough to rub too much!

After checking things we all headed back for some breakfast. BoBo and Dozer get mullberries since they are falling everywhere.

Of coure BoBo and Missy have to stop and grab-ass on our way back. They are good friends. I'd hate to see anyone try and hurt one of the other animals with this duo around. BoBo turns blum mean when one of the other animals gets hurt.

So concludes todays entry. I'm rethinking some of the testing this morning. Maybe the rubs need to be closer together to see which ones are preferred. Ahhhhh, so much to think about without a real day job!  :bigsmyl:    CK

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
Forgot to add one for Micky. Here's your daily hog pic. This is behind my house at Debbies feeder a few weeks ago. CK

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
This is way cool Curtis. Thanks for having the time to do such an event for us....................

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
My pleasure Sir! This may get stagnant for a few days. Going into a sparse hunt over the weekend. I may come home at night though. CK

Offline DTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
Little Feather, it is pictures and stories like yours that make this site so special and keep us coming back for more. Thanks!!! God bless.

Offline shootrmn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
I truely appreciate this thread as it is as close to hog hunting as I am likely to get in the for seeable future. Unless I win the lotto or we figure out how to email hogs to North Idaho. I am loving it.
shootrmn
Practicing the Dicipline of Steel
Given by the Gods and honed by my father.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
Anybody sees you out strolling around must think what the @%&@&@&&@&, that guys out walking his dog and his HOGGS.   :jumper:  
Great thread Curtis keeper up!

Brent

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
Wall to wall hogs...cool!   :thumbsup:  

What's a sparse? and just how do ya hunt them?   :jumper:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »
Curtis, thanks for posting this. You've given me a heck of an idea to hopefully break my nocturnal Lake Sonoma area hogs. I've got a creek bottom with tons of sign around it that I think I need to set up on in the middle of the day.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2007, 01:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Littlefeather:

Of course my trusty companions were along this morning as they always are when I go out into the brush behind the house. BoBo and Dozer both avoided my concoction but did like the commercial stuff.

CK
Good grief! Is that one of those little piglets we fed the gar to last July? He was about the size of that black one in the background the last time I saw him.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »
BoBo's gotta weigh twice as much as CK!  Learning a lot here...stay away from BoBo & Missy when they start playing  :)   Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »
Jason, That is a pic of BoBo eating the gar you shot when he was young. He's been eatin good since then, you can tell.

BTH, Good luck. CK

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
You can always count on Curtis to tease those of us who do not have a year round huntable pig herd. And those of us with real day jobs   :D  

Good stuff CK, as usual.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
Great thread Curtis. Any thoughts as to why hogs rub other than to scratch? Does the roughness of the surface make a differnce? Interesting stuff, I'll keep watching for more info.  BTW, glad to see Missy has accepted the little guy into the family.
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
Dave, Like I've said already, I don't know all there is to know about hogs. The rubbing and scratching has different reasons from what I gather. Some scratching is simply because they itch. Kinda like when BoBo uses my Ford bumper to scratch his arse. The whole truck shakes. This is just because his arse itches, at least I think. The other reason hogs rub is to get scent on themselves. You know the way a dog will roll on a dead frog??????? Well, Boars especially like to smell purdy so they look for something that smells like they want to smell and they'll literally waller in it. I suppose the third reason they rub or scratch is for insect control. At least this is the theory behind them liking to rub creosote poles. Insect control. Actually, I think someone will have to prove that theory to me. I think they like creosote simply for reason two, they like the way it stinks. Remember, all this stuff is simply "my" theories and could be wrong. I've just started this thread so everyone could watch these tests real time. I'm about to go check the test rubs in a minute. I can tell you that I checked the bait holes yesterday at the Victoria ranch. They had huge crators that you could bury a car in. The hogs had dug them 4' deep and 10-12' wide to get all the rotton corn and bacon grease. That was a two day old bait site. Stay tuned. I hope to have some great trail-cam pics in a few minutes. CK

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
Todays update: Trail-cam malfunctioned for some reason. Hogs hit all three sites but didn't rub from what I can tell. They did wallow in the same mud hole where BoBo wallered yesterday. This is where I places the commercial product directly into the mud. They didn't touch either of the carpet/rub logs. It appears that both rub locations got circled quite a bit but not rubbed. I've had lots of trouble with my cheap trail-cam. Hopefully it will work correctly tonight. CK

Micky's daily hog pic:

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
Now just isn't that a cute picture. Hoggs are special. Not sure ones not named Zifel though. Ya you no Arnold! Some of us can relate.   :bigsmyl:  

Brent

Offline jmack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
Is that a goat in there with the pigs?
"Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."--Galations 6:9

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Looks like upper level condo dwellers! WOW I even missed them! No wonder I don't shoot anything  :D

Offline DTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
What a life..awesome. Thanks littlefeather, keepem coming.  Sent you an email, ignor if no time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©