3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hogs-Continuing education-testing in progress  (Read 1563 times)

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs-Continuing education-testing in progress
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »
Curtis, thanks for the info. I am enjoying it. Here is what happened on my place when I buried some fermented corn.  I fermented some corn in a closed 5 gallon container with a little water, a can of cheap beer and a few eggs and some milk, let it sit in the sun for a couple weeks. I then take a post hole digger and dig down as deep as I can(about 5 feet) fill the hole half way with corn and cover with dirt, Next morning, crater!
Take care
Thomas
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
Neat thread, thanks...

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
Nice pics Thomas.

Last night proved to be a bust for piggies. It appears that only one lone boar showed up. He ate at one feeder but didn't touch the rubs. The camera was watching one of the rubs and didn't capture anything but more racoons. Maybe tonight will be better.

Here is Mickys daily pic. Mid-day pig cooling in a water hole. This shows what I was saying about hogs needing water in the day time.

Some facts to ponder:

I just read a very informative article from Wild Boar USA Magazine which states that the piebald or spotted features on white hogs is produced through inbreeding of hog packs. I never knew this and have sought the spotted pigs over other colorations for years. Now I find out that I've been hunting inbred retarded hogs?????   :knothead:    Here is one Charlie Lamb shot a few years ago while night hunting my home property. He's the original "inbred" killer!  

Here is a brother to Charlie's pig. I shot this one a few months after Charlie shot his. It was the same family group of hogs. I don't think mine was quite as inbred.   :D  

Another observation: Yesterday I was observing BoBo and Dozer feeding under a Mullberry tree. The Mullberries are falling so thick that they are a literal carpet across the ground. What I saw was BoBo and Dozer not eating all the berries but actually being selective. They would sniff the berries for ripeness. They would pass many berries to find just the right ones then pick them up with their nimble lips without busting them. BoBo is so nimble with his lips that he actually takes single kernels of corn from me and never touches my fingers. They have incredible dexterity with their lips.

Another fact I've come to realize: No poop! I've been on many ranches which were lacking in hog poop even though there were high concentrations of hogs. So, why no poop? If ya have hogs ya should have poop, right? Not so! Hogs only digest about 30% of what they eat and the rest goes though without getting utilized. What does this mean? Well, essentially there are food piles laying around after a pig poops. Now, I've been on some ranches where there was literally piggy poop everywhere so what's the difference. Humm? Maybe this guy!

That's right, coyotes eat all they can get. Some ranches have high populations of them while others do not. Coons, possoms, and lets not forget domestic dogs, they'll all eat their weight in piggy buffet. It truly is a delicacy for dogs and coyotes. With all the mullberries and dewberries that are ripe right now you can actually smell a very sweet smell around the piggy poop that I am finding on the ranches. It's sweet enough that you don't have to get close to smell it. I know, Gross right? Sorry, I just thought that this may answer some questions for you poopy lookers. Just because you don't find piggy poop doesn't mean there aren't piggies. More tomorrow. CK

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
Is that an American Bulldog? Very good post! Keep it up!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
Nope! That's my precious female Boxer, Missy.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
Thanks for the straight poop, CK! I'll remember that if I'm ever lost in the south... should keep a guy from starving.   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
Even if Charlie offers to share, you know you better pass!  :readit:  I just gave up on one of my old ways, if it smells good eat it!  :eek:  

Great thread CK, I just may no a little more than they make bacon out of them! After this one!

Brent

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
:readit:    I don't need a rub solution quite this bad.    :D  

I plan to freshen the commercial product on the carpet and in the mud for one last night. I'm not giving up on it but I'm going to do some testing with the other quart where I know a really big boar lives. I'll do this testing over the weekend while at the Dryad Hunt. Stay tuned and post some comments. Kinda boring posting without comments. CK

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
Think I'll leave that piggy poop for Charlie. I know you've got all sorts of testing going on; do you plan to try different orientations on the rub posts; posts standing vertical vs laying on the ground? Haven't thought about it until you started this thread but the domestic hogs I've seen seem to prefer rubbing on vertical posts. Keep it up, I'll be watching for more results.
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
Nice post and commentary CK!

Thanks for sharing the tips and knowledge>

Take Care,
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline alimoche

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2007, 01:32:00 AM »
Have you tried just gasoil in a tree? Here it works awesome!! Nice post, keep it coming! How many pixels has your trail cam?

Thanks,

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
Will be trying diesel next.

Last night I threw sour corn around the commercial product to be sure I drew them in close. Here's the series of events in quick time. A total of 10 minutes start to finish. Have a look.

I'll be moving the camera to watch the creosote pole tonight. They seem to be rubbing there nightly. CK

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
:coffee:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
Cool pics CK.

Never heard the one about pig inbreeding before. Interesting.

They are not only nimble with their lips they are quick. One time while hunting in Texas we had corned a sendero with a broadcast system (not dribbled but cast so it went edge to edge..think grass seed spreader). 4 small hogs came down the sendero shoulder to shoulder at a mans trotting pace vacuming up every kernal, cleaned the whole road in about 2 mins.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
Growing up on a pig farm, we always knew where to find the pigs in summer.  Either in the pond or under the brush/shade trees around the pond.  I can't imagine the the wild ones would be any different from that.

I've never heard that about spotted pigs either.  Interesting idea.  I wonder how they came up with that.  If that is in fact the case, some of the island habitats should be full of spotted pigs.  Anybody know if that is the case?

How about it?  Any of you South Georgia boys see more spotted pigs on the islands out there?

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
Black is the dominant color around Glynn County.  Brown/Red being second, and lastly the spotted ones.  Either black/white or red/white.  Most of the islands I hunt are not really geographically isolated.  Small rivers to swim.  I don't think they stop the hogs from moving when they want to.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©