3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I talked with Norm Johnson....Pics on page 5  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
I talked with Norm Johnson....Pics on page 5
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
My name is finally up on Norm's list. Last January when I paid the deposit, I was going to get myself an Elite. But, I talked with Norm and changed it to a Snakebit.

I talked with Norm last evening, and finalized my choices. I am getting a 64" bow with the gaboon ebony/snakewood riser with purpleheart accents, in both the riser and tips. The limbs will be a flame myrtle with lots of burl and knots.

The only thing that I am even remotely unsure about is whether to get the satin finish, or the gloss finish. Looking at the pictures on his website, it seems to me that the beauty of the wood is enhanced or deepened by the gloss finish, more so than with the satin finish.

What would you do, if it were you.......and why would you make that choice???

Norm said that my bow is in the next batch of bows to be built and they should all be done by the middle of March. He's gonna start cutting the wood on Monday, so I have a little time to make my choice on the finish.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline stickbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I talked with Norm Johnson....Pics on page 5
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
I had one (elite) and had the satin finish, but if it was me and it was a snakebit I would still choose satin because of the shine off the bow in bright sun, may not make a diff. but thats just what I like. And his satin does look good.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
I would get the gloss because you like it the best.I agree it will look the best.Just get some of thoes spandex limb covers for hunting.They will protect the limbs from scratches anyway.

You don't buy a fancy Snakebit Blacktail to be a throw around hunting bow.You buy it to enjoy it's beauty.

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
My Lord, it's gonna be purdy! You could paint Norms bows with hair spray and they would look good. Enjoy it. They are shooters.

Oh, I vote gloss. If I am going to buy a work of art, I want it to shine.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
Having seen both the gloss and the satin at the Traditional Archers of Oregon banquet just a week ago, I would go for the gloss on one of Norm's bows.  The gloss really brings out the beauty and craftsmanship of his work, and if I was to pay that much I would want it to look purdy!  For hunting season put paste wax on the bow and not buff it off.  Or like Randy said, some limb covers.

My 2 cents.

RonP

Offline tj69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 01:06:00 AM »
Winterhawk,
congrats for choosing a blacktail. You will never regret it!
I love the satin finish at my blacktail. Less reflections as with the gloss finish. Better looking at the woods. IMHO.
Bezaleel ILF riser + Border HEX6 limbs 50#@29"
Morrison XD riser + Border HEX6 limbs 51#@29"

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 01:36:00 AM »
The satin still shows the look of the bow.It wont show marks as much and if you want to hunt with it i think you would do better with the satin.I dont think you would do wrong ether way.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 01:44:00 AM »
My Snakebit is the most beautiful bow made -- and then some!!!!! I like the satin better. I don't like my bow to look like an old Weatherby stock with the flashy finish. Just think about what a classic oil finish looks like. It is not glossy. The satin lets the wood look like wood, not plastic. I got tiger striped myrtle and two sets of limbs. Norm is the best at turning bow building into an art form, and his bows are truly works of art.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
Dang, it is a "mixed bag"......and sounds a lot like the "internal discussions" that I have been having with myself.   :help:    :banghead:  

Winterhawk1960

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Don,
 If I was to hunt with this bow no question the satin is the way to go. If it is only for 3d's the gloss would make women weak and strong men cry.
 (Disclaimer) no offense to any women as we know they are not weak.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
My thoughts!!!!. Get the gloss.  Then if you don't like it for the hunting season, a nice coat of wax, not buffed, wala....simi satin for the season and a protective coat to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Mack_S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
As everyone else has already stated, if you're going to use it for hunting, I'd go with the satin.  I've still got about 6 months to wait for mine, Elite VL, and I went with the satin.  Can't wait!!

-Mack
-Mack

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
norm's bows are works of art and he's a great feller to boot!

satin or gloss?  purely cosmetic and purely subjective.  oh the agony of deciding!    

like the old ford cars of way yesteryear, one of the neat things about mohawks is that you can have any finish you like as long as you choose a fuller plast matte finish.   :D   works for me, my 'hawk is a tool made for a job that takes it into some nasty terrain.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Don,

If you look on Norms site under the Elite VL pics you will see my bow, Gaboon ebony riser footed with cocobolo and yew vaneer limbs, gloss finish. It is beautiful. That being said,the satin is just as good. I have noticed that any mark will show up more on the gloss than the satin. As said purley subjective.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
My first one from Norm in '93 was satin and the one I have on order will be satin finish. I just prefer it for hunting.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
How are you going to use this bow? Just target and tournament shoots? Or is this going to be a hunter? If you are hunting with it I would go with the satin so as not to be reflective of light. But heck, get it with the gloss finish to show off the depth and beauty of the wood...then order another one to hunt with!!! Congrats on getting a Blacktail!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline pow-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
I'm a big fan of Norms bows.  Fantastic bows and a stand up guy.  I have several of them all in satin.  It is purely a matter of personal preference and as Snag said the satin is probably a better choice for hunting.  Really can't go wrong either way.
Nothing ruins a good hunt like pulling the trigger

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
A lot of interesting and thought provoking comments. Guys, I am going to hunt with this bow. It would indeed be a shame (to me at least) to have a bow that never loosed an arrow at an animal.

Originally, I was thinking a satin finish. Then I looked at the pictures of the gloss finish and was really impressed. Now I'm kinda leaning back towards the satin finish again. This bow will, I'm sure.......shoot a few arrows at 3D shoots and the like but it WILL be hunted with.
A bow is a tool, and to me....it is a tool that I will utilize in every legal means possible to do so.

Tom and Danny, you have addressed my main concerns with the gloss finish and it's showing of the least little marks. I remember when I was younger and getting a "wild hair"......I stripped down an older Chevy that I had and painted her black. Dang, she looked good......but she sure showed every little imperfection that she had. I love pretty, shiny things but the fact of the matter is.....she will show her scars much more with a gloss finish.

I'm thinking I oughta get her in a satin finish, which from looking at Norms website looks pretty darn good......at least to me.

snag........I really like the way that you think, and if the grip suits me (I'm getting the standard/medium grip) I am quite sure that in the future there will be another added to my rack.

Now if I don't change my mind again   :saywhat:  I'll be set.

Winterhawk1960

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Don,
I used the spandex limbskins on my Widow this fall. It made a huge difference in not only protection but it deadens any noise from anything that may hit it. I now consider them a must for any bow in the woods and would personally not worry about color or finish because of hunting. A $15 investment to protect your bow in the woods is nothing compared to the cost of any bow.
Bic

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Gloss/paste wax/buff after season.
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©