3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Makin Camp  (Read 308 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Makin Camp
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
What is it about a camp site that holds a special feeling in our mind. A place to call home away from home, something simple, yet comfortable. A place that allows us to relax, unwind, and leave the every day hassles behind, whether it be for a weekend getaway, or a prolonged adventure of a hunt in distant and remote places.

I've spent plenty of time daydreaming of a cozy base camp in the western mountains, a warm fire, the smell of juniper, and coffee simmering on the coals.

Other times, I envision what would be the perfect camp at a 2-3 day trad shoot. A canvas tent, inviting, and comfy. The mixed smells of woodsmoke and a pot of venison stew in a cast iron pot, simmering over a bed of hickory coals.
A simple longbow, and quiver full of arrows hanging on a nearb branch, or from a tent pole.

The early morning sun reflecting from the canvas, and the snow. A narrow column of smoke rising from the flickeriing fire. The blue-grey smoke rising straight up, then spreads out harizontally in the frosty morning thermals, and hangs like a umbrella over the camp and surrounding woods.

A morning hunt for rabbits and squirrels, a quiver full of judo's, and a white cloud from every breath. The crack of the axe as it falls on a piece of frozen firewood,and the smell of hot coffee after the morning hunt.

The hoot of an owl at dusk, a turkey gobbling from a distance. A warm sleeping bag,a fleece shirt and the flickering glow from the vents in the woodstove.
An arrow broken, and an arrow lost.

The shadow of a simple bow, cast across the winter snow by the light of the moon, as it hangs ready for another day, another hunt.

The fun the kids have, exploring everything that is new,everything that just seems so simple and right.

I had gotten away from tenting, but it calls me back now stronger than ever. A good tent goes together with a good bow, good friends and family, and a warm fire. There is a certain sense of satisfaction in that.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Makin Camp
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
Great, now I really, really want to go camping big time!    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    

Excellent  post!!!!!!!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Me too!

Second vote on a great post.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Longbow Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
Count me in   :bigsmyl:
Death Before Dinner.  God is my camera man.   I Love Motorcycles and I Love Bow Hunting But I don't Mix The two I don't put wheels on my Bows

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
I did a 4 day camp at this site last year, sure was a good time. I camped by myself, hunted and just sat by the fire! I really like this pic, brings back some good memories!

>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 03:25:00 AM »
To me its the smell its like saying i`m home again.. wish i new how  post pics
Bull

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »

Here is my small camp from a island hunt I did this past season. This year I will be in the same place, but for at least a week. This was a solo hunt, solitude, peace and quiet, with no agenda or time table other than my own. It was a great trip. My only visitor was a very large, and very determined raccoon. The sounds of waves lapping onto the shore behind camp put me to sleep every night.

...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Dude I love the silence and the absence of the hustle in a camp.   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
I spend the whole month of September in a hunting camp and i really love it.Much better than hunt from a more confortable shelter.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
I have a big travel trailer I use for our base of operations at the property we deer hunt on. Generator, furnace, Sattelite TV, microwave etc.
Its comfy for sure, but its not camping. Its a portable house.

My wife talked me in to buying that behemoth of a camper, and it only gets moved twice a year. In spring, to the marina campground where we walleye fish in the summer on Saginaw Bay, then to deer camp in the fall. Now that I have the tent I wanted for so long, thanks to Whip from PrairieTraditions, I will be using it a lot more. A winter campout or 2 with the boys, a trip across state for some spring steelhead fishing and some turkey hunting. Several shoots, MBH Rendezvous, GLLI and a few others.

My boys (17 and 11) love to go on our camping adventures, working on mastering important outdoor prepardness skills such as making fire, getting water, emergency shelter, and  orienteering. Each outing we work on something new. If we are lucky enough, we can get some small game to add to our food. Typically we take some backpacker freeze-dried meals, and a couple of MRE's. Nothing more than a metal canteen cup is needed to eat well. I can't wait for our next trip, hopefully in a couple weeks.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Cool Pics! There's no way for me to describe it. There's just nothing like it!!! Jason

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Dude I love the silence and the absence of the hustle in a camp.    :thumbsup:  
Yea I hate when they dance in camp it really gets under my skin.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Good morning.

Yeah, it is! Coffee?

Spirit has already had hers, I guess.

Good camp. Come have a cup and sit in the GOOD chair.

Sheba's got the good spot, but that chair is still open.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Gah -  I need more pictures...  there's just something about the peace that is a hunting camp.

Just got my new SL3 ultralight tipi, and may need to go try and put it up in the snow thanks to you all.

Is it fall yet?  I want to go hunt.
   :campfire:    :archer:
Support the sport!

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I spent three days snowed in by myself at the farm before I was joined by two others. Those first three days were the best. I like the solitude. I can only think of two people I could stay on an extended hunt... Like a few weeks.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
This used to be a great tent my son and I used since 1980 but it leaked like a sieve at a big shoot last year.  I bought a new modern tent but may waterproof it someday.  I don't trust it anymore.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
Great post, and some awsome pics.
Keep the tents ready, and make the time.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
I'm planning on a camp/hunt next season, as remote as possible, at least ten days. I have my eye on my home state of Ohio. Wayne allows dispersed camping, with over 200,000 acres, I might find a quiet spot for my tent.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Great pics Killdeer. Looks like a fun outing for sure.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©