3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pass through ?  (Read 466 times)

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Pass through ?
« on: February 07, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
I've always considered a pass through as TWO holes. One entry, one exit, even if the arrow stays in. Meaning broadhead passes through, but maybe not the whole arrow. Am I wrong? Does pass through mean the arrow must exit entirely?

I figure it don't really matter, as long as there are two holes spilling blood.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pass through ?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
An entry and an exit hole is about as good as it gets.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
just not as good as an entry and exit without an arrow plugging them.
  ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
I'm not sure about others but when the broadhead comes out the other side,I call that an exit.When the arrow comes completely out,I call that a pass through.The wound channel may be the same but the pass through can be a plus.It seems like game often keep running as long as the shaft remains in.If it completely passes through,the distance traveled can be considerably less.

Offline patvro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Just my two cents but I like to think of it as through the animal and sticking in the ground on the other side . I have been shooting heavy arrows 650gr this season with no problem getting the pass through. With a smaller broadhead  that shaft still there can hurt the blood trail some for sure.
Waiting for october.

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
If the arrow stays in, but showing on both sides of deer as it runs through the brush, it may trash the arrow, but won't it also do more damage at the holes and keep them open, instead of plugging them? I've never really noticed a difference in how far a deer will run with or without an arrow in it. Except that I have had a deer or two just stand there and look around, then tip over, so I guess that was your point, JimB.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
The only difference I see between a pass-thru (with two holes and the arrow still in the animal) v. a pass-thru (where the arrow is sticking into or laying on the ground) is.....

....we can learn a LOT about our hit, if we have the arrow to examine.  To me, that's important information (when determining when to take up the trail).

Just my .02

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
Agree w/Charlie.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
I have a different thinking and rationale than most of you. I would like a pass through but I like the arrow to remain in the cavity. This is why: from doing 20 plus years of assisting in surgery, if we encounter a bunch of internal bleeding, trauma,etc.;the first thing we do is insert a drain. The drain keeps the cavity draining from in to out. The blood will follow the path of the arrow. You chances of fat, visera, plugging up the whole is greater. You really need good arterial bleeding as opposed to venous. My theory, what are your thoughts
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
A pass thru means you're pulling your arrow out of the dirt.An incomplete pass thru is the arrow is stuck out the other side of the animal,making for an entry and exit.

At least that's the way I see it.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Completely in and out without a doubt.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
I agree-in and out completely.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
just not as good as an entry and exit without an arrow plugging them.
   ;)  
:thumbsup:  

for me a pass through is when the arrow has gone all the way through and completely out the other side.
Complete penetration if it is still in the animal
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Didn't read the replies.

Ones a pass through.  The other is a complete pass through.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
That makes sense Terry, I like an incomplete pass through....
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
The Night Stalker has it right on the blood trail.

An arrow still in the entry/exit hole keeps the layers of muscle, fat, etc. from moving and closing the hole.  Especially true near the front leg.

By doing so it provides the "drain" mentioned above.  It doesn't plug the hole.  The arrow shaft diameter is only a small part of the hole.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Out of the dozens of deer that I have killed, only one was not in the dirt. I have always considered that to be pass through, but how far down do I need to go to get the arrow to stay in the deer? I think I would prefer to error on the side of too much penetration.

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
The first buck i shot was with a simmons shark, the hit was a perfect double lung, right behind the shoulder. The arrow hit an off rib and bounced back, I have it on video, because of the design of the shark the arrow wouldnt slide out so the arrow acted like a horse crop. It hit the buck on the side as he ran. The buck ran about 200 yards in a straight line. There is no doubt if that arrow was not hitting the buck he wouldnt have spooked as bad and would have gone that far.

All things being equal the arrow in the dirt whens every time.

I also shot a large pig with a 4 blade stinger. It was a top heart double lung, he ran about 60 yards. The pig hag so much fat it plugged up the whole completly. We couldnt find it til we pulled the hide off. Enough blood escaped that there was no problem walking right to the pig in the thick south texas brush.  Sry i dont buy the argument that the arrow keeps the wound open enough to let more blood out. I would rather not let the game spook. Also i buy into the theroy that a sharp head and pass through doesnt hurt as bad as if the arrow is moving around and doesnt clot the veins like an arrow can.
Jmo

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Seems like some mighty fine hairs being split here.  If the broadhead comes out the off side, Frankly I don't care if the arrow followed it or not.

Usually if the broadhead comes out the other side, in a couple jumps the shaft is broken and both parts fall out or get kicked loose, anyway...

I can't even recall last deer sized critter I shot with either compound or recurve where the broadhead didn't at least come out the off side, and I don't shoot major weight with either type of bow.  Nor can I recall one that if the arrow didn't go all the way through or fall out the off side, where it survived intact more than a few yards...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Night Stalker has a great example here.  Another thing the "drain" provides is everything the deer hits in the woods, branches, trees, brush, etc. opens the wound up just slightly more for a brief period, should there be a faint blood trail.

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©