3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads for moose  (Read 487 times)

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads for moose
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Aside from "putting the arrow into the kill zone", would you chose a two or three blade broadhead? I've taken deer with both, actually my only trad deer was two blade, all my c-bow deer were three blade. I know a moose's hide is thicker and the hair denser, but would a two blade slip between those bigger ribs easier, or would it matter? Or go with a 3 blade for the bigger hole?

I think I'm just bored and need to ask a bunch of questions.   :bigsmyl:
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads for moose
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Wensel woodsmen Elite non vented

Offline Jason_MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
My vote is for a heavy 2-blade..

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
Heavy single bevel two blade, check out the "Alaska bow hunting supply" "samurai", I use the 150 for all my big game. Since your bored I highly recommend you read "the Ashbey reports" on broad heads that are archived here. I have repeated some of his tests with virtually identical results and you will never see me flinging tin broad heads at game over 500 pounds again!
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
I'm with Rick.  Big critters need deeper penetration and that means a heavy 2-blade head in my experience.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Brian,  I think you got the most important part right already in your first sentence.  If you do that, "put the arrow in the kill zone", I think you'll be OK.  I use a 115 gr., very old Bear Razorhead this past fall (the optional bleeder blade adds 10 gr.)and took a very large bull Moose here in Maine.  I choose the 2 blade option because I could only handle a 53# bow at the time and was a little concearned about penetration with a three or four blade head.  
A sharp 2 blade will do the job nicely, but if you can shoot heavier weight, I guess the more blades the better (unless you hit bone).

I grew up in Connecticut, or at least started to.  Shot my first deer there in 1959.  Where in Conn. are you from?

Craig

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Craig, funny, I shot my only trad whitetail w/an old 145gr Bear Razorhead, minus the bleeder.
I live in Killingly, CT. Northeast Windham County (Quiet Corner).
Thanks for the replies.

BTW Craig, Nice bull moose at the top.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
2 Blades have been killing large big game from the beginning of bowhutning ,so there is no reason to worry about a single bevel heavy super duper $10 a peice head. Use a good solid 2 blade that has been proven over time and get it super sharp and go kill a Moose. It is all about putting it in the right spot! No disrespect to anyone but bear razorheads and Zwickeys have been taking game for over a half of a century.

With all due respect
Jack

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
I am pondering the same thing as I am doing my best to put together a Canadian Moose hunt for 2011. Leaning heavily toward the two blade right now, but I have some 190 gr. Terminators that have impressed me so far.  Not sure.........Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
I've been a WW shooter for years, but will be using Abowyer Brown Bear two blades for moose this fall.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
I would use a 2-blade and make it sharp,scary sharp,and put it on a heavy arrow!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
My friend and Maine bear/moose guide and outfitter Eldon Jandreau, uses nothing on any game but the old green Bear Razorheads in 2 blade.  He has killed about everything with that head including big moose, elk, caribou, etc.  It worked for Fred Bear and will work for anybody else   ;)
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
I used a Magnus II 2-blade and a 618 grain arrow for a pass through shot on a moose I shot, I wouldn't hesitate using that combination again.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
I have used Grizzly broad heads heads with a great deal of success  and have had no issues with them on large game. 2 Moose and 5 Elk, that is over a long period of time but they have been making them for awhile now. The STOS  heads have also performed well, they fly well and seem to hold up, 2 Elk so far and will use them again.

The heads I have listed above have all proved themselves in the field on the game mentioned. I should also add that all were launched from moderate weight bows at my draw length 55-61#s and all the arrows were 10-11 ½ grains to the pound.

I will also add that I have used a WW one time (on a large animal). On a very decent Elk 605 grain arrow out of a 58# bow. I heard the arrow hit the dirt about as fast as I saw the fletching vanish. I will use them again and they are my go to whitetail BH.

DD

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
I have seen two moose in two years fall to a magnus stinger. I would go with that.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
I know that both Ryan Rothhaar and Bret Cagle killed their bulls with large Snuffers. If memory serves, one of both of them had complete pass throughs.

I shot my bull with a 125-grain Ace Standard on a 499-grain carbon and got a pass through despite splitting a rib vertically.

Bottom line: they both work.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
Shot a large Alaskan moose with a four blade Zwickey on a 725 grain wood arrow a few years back.  The bleeders on a Zwickey are rather small, and it acts more like a two-blade than a four-blade.  The arrow broke through the hide on the far side on a quartering away hit.  My hunting partner killed one with a two-blade Zwickey, also on a heavy wood arrow.  His arrow zipped through on a broadside shot.  In addition to a point designed for good penetration, thinner carbon arrows, of course, are an additional substantial aid to penetration. I also suggest as heavy a bow and arrow as one can handle.  Moose have very thick hide,   their ribs are large and their body cavity is wide. Will probably use an Abowyer Wapiti or Brown Bear or STOS the next time I hunt moose.

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
I love the big 3 blade snuffers and when I was shooting 65+ pound I whould put that head up against any animal in north america!!! Now after a shoulder injury and down to the 50# range I would use a good 2 blade for critters bigger than deer.  Of course I still gaining comfidance in my new lower poundage.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
Wingnut
what is prompting you to try something new?  I too am looking at the Abower BB.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
As long as its sharp you will be fine!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©