3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good time with a great friend...(pics)  (Read 436 times)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Good time with a great friend...(pics)
« on: February 07, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Yesterday my friend Chris (wihill) went to our local 3d range to shoot some arrows. After a while at shooting the bails we decided to try and shoot the elk which is at 45 yards. We have shot this 3d range several times and no matter what I can not seem to hit that elk on the first try. I dont seem to have a real big issue hitting the animals 30-35 yards or closer, but this elk is really something.Wihill on the other hand nails it every time. The coarse is set up for compound shooters, but we seem to show them how the traditional shooters do it when we get there. We even set up a chair with a piece of plywood up to try and simulate a tree that we were behind (that one was wihill's idea   :thumbsup:   )

All in all it was a great day with a great friend. I added a few pics of us at the range..Thanks for allowing us to share these..

The dreaded elk...

Me at full draw..

wihill at full draw..

Our "tree" we were behind..

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good time with a great friend...(pics)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
sounds like it may all be in your head and you have convinced yourself that you can't hit it.try just focusing on the spot you want to hit and not the whole target,this could be the problem.
Richard Battistoni

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by richbat:
sounds like it may all be in your head and you have convinced yourself that you can't hit it.try just focusing on the spot you want to hit and not the whole target,this could be the problem.
I never really shoot at those distances. I have no need to, but its fun to try. If I were serious about it,I know its just a matter of time before my mind dials it in...I try to keep all of my shots at 20-25 and under  :thumbsup:  Thats werre I'm most effective, especially shooting a 740 gr. arrow..They really take a nose dive at anything past 25 yards..

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
frassettor said: "I never really shoot at those distances. I have no need to."    

Uhhhhh, yes you do have a need to, if you want to ace that elk on the first arrow.  8^)))))).  The need is of course to build confidence as well as form.  That forty-five yard shot won't seem so difficult, if you try a few at fifty-five or sixty yards.  

I'm not sure why folks think they never should shoot past their comfort zone.  Staying in that zone creates a warm and fuzzy spot to stay in, but when things start to unravel it can b e more difficult to recover.  You are expecting to miss it the first shot.

If I were to give you any advice for that range of shot, I would tell you not to hunch over so much when shooting.  A more erect stance (not bolt upright) will add to your draw length and allow for a greater range of shot possibilities.  You are handicapping yourself with that style.

Look at Mr. Hill's shooting form; more erect...solid stance, and appears to be utilizing the form to get the best from his bow and arrow. I would suspect he has little trouble coming in on those longer targets.

But alas, you have to decide if you are happy doing what you are doing.  I want to be able to put that arrow in the vitals at sixty yards, by simply concentrating, and putting that arrow tip on top of that vital.....that is close to my point-on distance.

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Looks like a good time...
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Good time.  A agree with George, stand straighter in the back and tilt only your bow slightly.  You are hunching and bending your head way too much.  Look at your buddy and his stance.  Much straighter.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
frassettor said: "I never really shoot at those distances. I have no need to."    

Uhhhhh, yes you do have a need to, if you want to ace that elk on the first arrow.  8^)))))).  The need is of course to build confidence as well as form.  That forty-five yard shot won't seem so difficult, if you try a few at fifty-five or sixty yards.  

I'm not sure why folks think they never should shoot past their comfort zone.  Staying in that zone creates a warm and fuzzy spot to stay in, but when things start to unravel it can b e more difficult to recover.  You are expecting to miss it the first shot.

If I were to give you any advice for that range of shot, I would tell you not to hunch over so much when shooting.  A more erect stance (not bolt upright) will add to your draw length and allow for a greater range of shot possibilities.  You are handicapping yourself with that style.

Look at Mr. Hill's shooting form; more erect...solid stance, and appears to be utilizing the form to get the best from his bow and arrow. I would suspect he has little trouble coming in on those longer targets.

But alas, you have to decide if you are happy doing what you are doing.  I want to be able to put that arrow in the vitals at sixty yards, by simply concentrating, and putting that arrow tip on top of that vital.....that is close to my point-on distance.
Good points George.. I started this thread to share "a day at the range" with Tradgang, and not to gripe about not being able to hit the elk, or asking people "whats wrong with my form"    Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.
I appreciate the advice though and will take it to heart. I am happy with my form right now, and the way I shoot. Next time I post a thread I will try and be more clear on what I am trying to say.  :thumbsup:

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
looks like a good time. Those ranges are a blast especislly with a good bud with you. Us trad guys seem to make shootin fun with whatever we have. Thabks for sharing.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
Different forms aside - I'll tell ya right now that Rick (Frassettor) is deadly inside 35 yrds.  His consistency is much higher than mine, and that's something I'm working on for sure.   :)

Ultimately this is a friendly get together and good natured ribbing session - while I'm usually the one poking fun, Rick's score is more than enough to make me buy the first round.   :readit:    

Any chance to put ourselves into a "realistic" hunting situation with all the "unrealistic" range and shot angles will only strengthen both of our shooting.  

Having fun just happens to be a wonderful side effect.
   :thumbsup:
Support the sport!

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
Looks like a fun day!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
If you left the range with a smile on your face, it was a good day even if you missed the elk.....try to get him on the first shoot next time.   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
It Does Look Like A Great Time Was Had By All!! Makes Me Wanna Call Up a Good Friend or 2 and do the Same Thing!! Thank You For Sharing Guys!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
frassettor

Looks like you guys have a good time at your range. Mine is full of compounders and doesn't lend itself to having "fun" like that. Most of them look miserable because they missed one ten spot out of 60 shots.

Your form looks fine to me. That's how I shoot too. I guess if your main archery interest is shooting targets then the above advice makes sense. I'd rather be able to shoot well in hunting conditions with less than perfect stances and positions. I wouldn't change a thing.

Dave
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline TimRadke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »
Where in wi are you guys???
Byron Ferguson Patriot
58# @ 28"

RER XR
49# @ 26"

>')///><            <-------[[[[

Offline Possum2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
It is good to see friends enjoying the same sport!!!
Martin Jaguar 60" 50@28
RER Vortex longbow 62" 46@28
Zipper Extreme 60" 55@28

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by TimRadke:
Where in wi are you guys???
Neenah/Oshkosh area

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Nothing better than bows and buddies!!
Headed to the post office today.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Charlie..Pm sent  :thumbsup:

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Realistic bow practice in a hunting situation is good fun!  Hanging out with your bow buddies is even better.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©