3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Questions for the experienced trad elk hunters  (Read 233 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions for the experienced trad elk hunters
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Amount of experience is not in question.....just need your opinions....

1.  I'm planning to take my 52# bow elk hunting in Sept.  My arrow is a 500gr. and I'm shooting it 181fps.  Your thoughts on whether or not this is sufficient/ethical?

2.  I'm toying with the idea of maybe going to a smaller diameter shaft for this trip.  Does the increased penetration characteristics (if it isn't hype) warrant giving this a look?

3.  For NC sized whitetails, I had no issues (penetration) with the 3 blade WW.  I had a good year with them.  For the CO trip, I'm thinking elk may warrant a 2 blade head.  I'm seriously thinking of Silver Flames for this trip....or another similar 2 blade; single bevel head.  Insurance?  Am I over-thinking this?

Thanks.  I have no experience on penetration with anything larger than a 170# NC deer and trad. tackle.

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions for the experienced trad elk hunters
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
If you have everything tuned well and you're already use to the set up I wouldnt change a thing.2 blade or 3 will work just make sure they are sharp.Put that arrow from that bow where it belongs and you wont have a problem. Try to get both lungs- dont take a raking shot on an elk- they can go along ways on one lung.
SL

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
I should add that the most weight you can shoot acurating would be wise when it comes to larger animals.
SL

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
It's true that a two blade will probably penetrate better than a three.  You will get adequate penetration on broadside rib hits.  I doubt anything will help if you hit the front leg.  

It's just like using a gun.  Yeah, a .338 is probably better for elk than a .270, but if you flinch and can't shoot the .338, then it won't work for you.

If you strain and go up 10 pounds, you won't shoot as well and any bow advantage will be lost.

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
58 pounds and 520 grains with a WW...The arrow is still going...Down in 30 yards...

I say you will be fine...Hit them in the soft spot behind the shoulder...Nothing works if you hit the shoulder bone...

Good luck and post pics..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/Santiam/bull.jpg[/IMG]

please post images no wider than 640, thank you
Good Arrow Flight   >>>-------->

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
I've shot a grand total of one elk.  I shot that elk with a 53# Super Shrew, 545g Gold Tip including a 250g Wensel Woodsman.  I hit him right and he went less than 100 yards and most of that was momentum as he was running me over at the time I shot...

There was a super duper thin wall aluminum shaft piece connected to a 125g Thunderhead all healed up and gristled over in his shoulder bone when we butchered him.  

Don't mess with the scapula and you will be OK

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
IMO, you are on the light side, poundage wise but you should be fine, just take high-percentage shots.  Also, given your lighter set-up, my 2 cents are to up the odds and use a 2-blade head. It's easy to do, and extra peace of mind, so why not?  That's the advice I would give you.  If you can't up your poundage, you do the things that you can do, easily, and you owe it the animal.  No sacrifice to accuracy.   Also would'nt hurt to up your overall arrow weight some.   It doesn't take muscle to do those two easy things, and it makes all the sense in the world...and you have plenty of time.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
sure that is a great set up.  I've taken three elk with long bows in that general weight. One with a thunder head, zwicky two blade and one with a WW.  All dead with in 100 yards. As stated stay away from that shoulder blade... Bone out the meat and enjoy a fine bunch of dinners.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
This is great as I had the same questions.

Thanks for sharing.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
The silver flames will put them down
The older I get the better I was

Offline Bugle1N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
GMMAT-
1) Your set up is plenty, I shoot 53# at 27.5", 500 grains and have had no problems.  Shooting anything heavier you risk accuracy, not worth a bit more penetration.
2)Narrower arrows do increase penetration, but 11/32 POC work great for me.  I would shoot what you been shooting.
3)Wenzels are fine, I shoot grizzly caribou 125 grain and do prefer two blade myself.  

Bugle1N

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
I hunted a 52# Robertson last year. I didn't kill an elk with it, but the thought that it might not be "enough bow" never crossed my mind. As far as the broadhead goes, I'd let you arrow flight determine what you use - use the one that flies silent and true. I say that becasue I got caught up in the single bevel craze last year and spent hours (and hours) trying to force a broadhead on my setup. In the end I went back to what I had been using and watching my arrow fly was like seeing an old friend  :)
Is it September yet?!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
its more about accuracy and sharp broadheads- you hit an elk wrong with any bow of any weight; and it will get away. Hit them right; and I have had them just tremble and fall over.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline jomama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
its all about placement.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©